What are differences in 2000-2002 YZ 426

7 replies to this topic
  • dohboy

Posted May 31, 2004 - 08:02 AM

I am looking at getting a YZ 426 and was wondering how they changed them from year to year. Any special goodies that I should be looking for (exhaust, hot start, etc.). What sort of price range should I expect. I am a converted 2 stroker so I am not too sure of what to look for. thanks

• Satch0922

Posted May 31, 2004 - 08:45 AM

They managed to trim some weight along the way as well as improve the carb and starting. The 2001-2002 have titanium valves, the 02 has slightly different swingarm and shock linkage.

Basically , get the newest model you can afford. The 2000 model had clutch problems.

• mlmcasual

Posted May 31, 2004 - 09:16 AM

It's good to know your options.. here are some pics of one
I'm selling for 3500.. and info at www.mscwar.com/yz.htm
:thumbsup:

In general the price is set buy what people are willing to pay.. KBB lists it the "Retail" value at $4095 .. In general I would never pay at or above retail although you'd be suprised at how many are asking more then..

In the end.. it's what people are willing to pay..

• skthom2320

Posted May 31, 2004 - 10:16 AM

There are very few differences (unpainted subframe vs. painted, etc. between the 2001-2002 bikes). I would restrict my search to those years given the fact that you can get nice clean ones for not much more than $3000.

I wouldn't worry about getting things like a hot-start, etc. They are convenient if you are a racer but you can add that anytime. Aftermarket pipes move the powerband around and sometimes add ponies but yuo can find those on here for good prices.

The 2000 model had a woodruff key on the crank that had a tendency to act up and need replacement whereas the 2001-2002 had a spline. The 2000 also had a grabby clutch and poor jetting that could be fixed with the addition on 2001 components. The full-floating brake wasn't present on the 2000 model either.

Someone else already mentioned the titanium valves...

But then again, if you get a smoking deal on a 2000 - take it!! You will just have to turn a few extra wrenches to get it dialed.

They are great bikes once you get the suspension tuned, mine has been pretty bullet proof. Get the suspension tuned by a reputable suspension shop and you get a great bike for very little $$.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Squirly246

Posted May 31, 2004 - 10:35 AM

2000 Exauhst header swoops lower and go's right over the oil filter cover(meaning you have to remove the header to change the oil).2000 Has steel valves instead of titanium(not sure if this is a problem other tham titanium is lighter). I have heard that the 01 or 02 has lighter gears in the trans, not sure though. 01 went to full floating front rotor. I think they also solved some clutch isues for the 01. Have a great day.

• Matt96xr6

Posted May 31, 2004 - 01:40 PM

THere is a lot of differences that people dont know by years.

From the 00 to 01 model: different clutch, splined crank, differnt carb setting and vent hose routing, new front floating brake and Nissin MC, BNG, internally things started to get drilled out like the shift drum, forks, etc.

now from 01 - 02, you get a reloacted front bars (forward 10mm on the clamp), wider hubs front and rear with new thinner spokes for light weight, new rear linkage, shock and swing arm for less weight, no paint on the subframe, even more drilling to the internals, lesser oil amount (nothing changed, just the spec to drop a few grams), different carb needle and acc pump diagphram, BNG

Basically here the 00s are 25-3200 and then each year newer about about $300. Go the newest you can, but also get the CLEANEST bike you can. The 426s are usually riden hard and sold afterwards. So take your time.

With any of them, you are going to want to install a YZ450 exhaust cam, the decomp plug for the head, rejet the carb, and install a DRD remote hotstart. If you get the 00 model, update the front brakes and clutch to the 01+ specs.

• tool

Posted May 31, 2004 - 03:19 PM

2000 Exauhst header swoops lower and go's right over the oil filter cover(meaning you have to remove the header to change the oil)."

thats not right, i couldnt get my header over the oil filter cover if i tried. anyway, though.
i would rather have a few extra $$ in my pocket to spend on upgrades. it all depends on what you want it to be. have a stock 02, or have an 00 with a fatbar, exhaust and auto clutch. :thumbsup:
stock 426 vs. sweet 426.

• skthom2320

Posted June 01, 2004 - 09:25 AM

With any of them, you are going to want to install a YZ450 exhaust cam, the decomp plug for the head, rejet the carb, and install a DRD remote hotstart. If you get the 00 model, update the front brakes and clutch to the 01+ specs.

That's debateable.

I still have and like my stock '01 WITHOUT the 450 cam and WITHOUT a DRD hotstart. It's a one-kick starter for chrissakes!!!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.