Found some metal chips on my magnetic drain plug

7 replies to this topic
  • darmino

Posted May 31, 2004 - 05:42 AM

While changing my oil,I found a piece of metal on my magnetic drain plug about 3/16" long by 1/8" wide at it's thickest spot, it looks like a piece of a gear tooth. Is there any way to get a look at the transmission gears without splitting the case and if not what else should I replace while I have it torn down. My bike has about 7000 miles on it and runs better than the day I bought it!
thanks! :thumbsup:

• mtrablue

Posted May 31, 2004 - 07:44 AM

before you split the cases, check you kick starter gear.

• sabin

Posted May 31, 2004 - 09:01 AM

The dogs of my fifth gear rounded at about 9000 miles.

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 01, 2004 - 03:05 AM

How much time are you spending in fifth Sabin! :thumbsup: You are a speed freak! :awww: I think I will use up third before any other gear. I like to ride in third gear most of the time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • R_Little

Posted June 01, 2004 - 07:24 AM

I hear the kickstarter is a high wear item.

I have got a couple small gear tooth pieces on my magnet too, but not that big.

I was going to check my kickstarter, but will leave it for now. if you check yours pls let me know what it looks like.

• sabin

Posted June 02, 2004 - 11:03 AM

I have heard that if there is no serial number on the piece it is ok :thumbsup:

• darmino

Posted June 05, 2004 - 08:56 AM

Its the fifth wheel gear dog, the funny thing is that I hardly ever use fifth gear.But the fifth gear dog connnects to the third gear so maybe thats the problem.One other thing I noticed is that were the fifth gear dog ingauges the third gear it bottoms out and grinds like the spacer between gears in not thick enought( the bottom of the fifth gear dog has worn smooth), this does not ac :excuseme:cure anywhere else in the transmission between any other gears.Maybe a design flaw? All I know is that a lot of people have fifth gear dog problems without spending a lot of time in fifth gear.

• Hamish

Posted June 05, 2004 - 07:39 PM

One other thing I noticed is that were the fifth gear dog ingauges the third gear it bottoms out and grinds like the spacer between gears in not thick enough

That shouldnt happen...sounds like u have a bent shift fork

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.