03 YZF weighs less...I dont think so...

22 replies to this topic
  • Motoxjeff95

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:08 PM

This is so funny....on the yamaha board they are all saying the blue bike weighs less than the red one...however upon looking at yamaha's web site, and doing a comparison between the two bikes (2003 YZF 450 and the 2002 YZF 426) the weight is as follows:

2003 450F-221 lbs...claimed...lol
2002 426F-231 lbs claimed...lol

we all know that the 426F weighs in at 249 pounds...so if you take that into consideration with a ten pound "claimed" loss by yamaha there bike will weigh realisticly around 240lbs...and the red one is tested and true at 233lbs...nothing to worry about...ride red guys...
yes this is the wrong forum, but one of "your guys" came over to ours first...LOL remember there "claimed" weight is nothing, wait untill someone with an accurate scale weighs it.... :)

• yznvegas

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:10 PM

Hey moto, ride what you like bro. Theres nothing wrong with brand loyalty, I personally like blue and red. I just happened to buy a Yamaha, no big deal, don't stress, just ride.

• C'dale136

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:11 PM

I the 02 CRF weighed in at 238 on the Cycle World scales. Fluids with no gas.

• Motoxjeff95

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:12 PM

so that must mean that the YZF tipped the scale at over 250 then? MXA...the Yamaha biased magazine said the CRF weighed 233 pounds...with radiator fluid, trans fluid, but not gas.

• yznvegas

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:14 PM

What the hell does it matter what a bike weighs without fluids anyway???? Are you ever going to ride it dry??? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bonez34

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:16 PM

I thought the yamaha site said 221 lbs. am i reading it wrong? oh, dry..

I know why it weighs more... could it be the FIFTH MOTHER F@@KING VALVE??????

don't worry, honda will have one in about 5 years or whenever the patent runs out.

regardless of weight, the new yammy should outrun the honda. but not many of us can ride these bikes to their potential either.

[ June 13, 2002: Message edited by: bonez34 ]

• C'dale136

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:20 PM

Sorry, Mis-quoted Cycle World they had the CRF at 234LBS with fluids and no gas.

• therapture

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:21 PM

I am sure the YZF lost 10-12lbs, it HAD to...

Guys, stop the damn flame starting (you know who you are) if you like RED, fine, buy it and ride it, if you like BLUE, GREAT, do the same. Some idiots coming from the red side to here, or vice versa, starting flames and putting down the other brand, is STUPID. :)

Both bikes will kick BUTT, and if you think a 5-10lb weight difference is going to lose you a race, then you have other problems to begin with!

• westladog

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:34 PM

I think the new YZ450 is cool! The more competition between the Yamaha and Honda, the better it is for us mortals. We benefit!

Congradulations Yamaha for improving.
No more discussion on starting anymore :)
They've fixed it.

• mxaddict

Posted June 13, 2002 - 08:08 PM

-10 lb loss is good
-auto-decomp is great
-more motor never hurts(longer stroke, more torque).

Dislikes:
-15 lb loss would be better (no biggie)
-4 speed (yes, four will work for mx, five is better in my opinion for all around use and makes gearing choices more flexible...more WR sales now I bet, especially with the button)
-no seperate oils
-not wet-sump (not mentioned, and listing of 'aluminum oil lines' means oil is going somewhere)

All in all they should be great, and anyone planning a purchase should be happy. Not anything I'd run out and sell a bike I like for though, 426 or CRF. The WR's though look like major improvements...very nice. I might have to get a 250f though now that they have auto-decomp on it too, sweet, I love those bikes (and I'm a new bike addict, got to buy something this year!).

NOTE: To all you red haters and blue haters, give it a rest, it gets old. No bike will smoke another, and as someone who has a new bike every year(often different colors) I can tell you if Billy-Bob Local smoked you at the track before he will still smoke you. Liking your bike and being proud of it is great, slamming everything else makes you look like a insecure dork.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted June 13, 2002 - 08:45 PM

Originally posted by mxaddict:
-not wet-sump (not mentioned, and listing of 'aluminum oil lines' means oil is going somewhere)

Hold the phone.

That could refer to the the delivery manifold from the pump to valvetrain and tranny, which would still be there in a wet sump.

I think that the lines to and from the reservoir are already Al on my ’00 and ’01...

• mxaddict

Posted June 13, 2002 - 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Hick:

Hold the phone.

That could refer to the the delivery manifold from the pump to valvetrain and tranny, which would still be there in a wet sump.

I think that the lines to and from the reservoir are already Al on my ’00 and ’01...

Bambislayer said he could see a drain bolt on the lower front downtube also, I didn't look but took his word for it...if not, from the filler cap location I'd bet it was wet sump, we'll see...

quote "Additional weight-reducing engine upgrades include: smaller-design cam chain tensioner and oil pump; aluminum oil hose (was steel); all-titanium exhaust header, flange, bracket and heat shield; and lighter CDI ignition unit, coil ad magnet rotor. "

• huffa

Posted June 13, 2002 - 11:09 PM

They did a very nice job on it. Lots of good changes and it should look and feel slimmer. One thing I find odd though is I'm sure they went to great pains to save every ounce they could but then you look at the pic and they made the muffler longer then on the 02 by a couple inches and even longer (possibly) then the ones on the 02 crf. In the mean time honda shortend theirs by about 2 inches on the 03 to about the approx. length of the 02 426. When a lot of us shortend ours this was a 2lb saving and yet they lengthened it. I think alot of you guys will be doing just what we did. Congradulation's , the 450 turned out nice. If it did good in the shootout last year it very well will be an extremly close shootout this year. I shouldn't say if because it did great considering the age of that model.

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: huffa ]

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: huffa ]

• therapture

Posted June 14, 2002 - 04:13 AM

Originally posted by mxaddict:

NOTE: To all you red haters and blue haters, give it a rest, it gets old. No bike will smoke another, and as someone who has a new bike every year(often different colors) I can tell you if Billy-Bob Local smoked you at the track before he will still smoke you. Liking your bike and being proud of it is great, slamming everything else makes you look like a insecure dork.

This man is a credit to mx riders everywhere...I only wish some of you flame baits would take a hint from this man and GROW UP.

• mxfreak

Posted June 14, 2002 - 04:22 AM

Thanks mxaddict.

I dunno why people make this huge hoo-hah about colours... Look at Suzuki and Kawasaki... the new bikes are the SAME bike, but with different plastics (different colour).

Both Honda and Yamaha make improvements to their products and that's what makes riding and racing interesting. What would the world come to if we all drove metal-grey Oldsmobiles? It would be drab.

This whole "my bike's better than yours cos it's red and not blue" (or vice versa) charade is boring, and stinks of the smack talk that 12 to 15 year-olds live on. Give it a rest. Ride your bike. That's all that counts.

Stefan

• Ga426owner

Posted June 14, 2002 - 04:29 AM

Face it people this is a war that will never go away, Blue vs. Red.....Ford vs. Chevy.....I believe that the weight issues that have had the blue side dogged for the past yr. by Red will not be a issue anymore, as the starting, as the hot start etc..........it sure seems to me that these 2 bikes are very similar now...I can not wait to see what transpires in the next 6mos. at the tracks....

• fastkevin

Posted June 14, 2002 - 04:53 AM

Originally posted by Motoxjeff95:
This is so funny....on the yamaha board they all are a lot smarter than me. I'm not even smart enough to figure out what board I'm posting on. Does anyone know where to get some pink plastic for my XR? I like to wear a lovely pink cocktail dress when I ride, and would like my tricycle to match
:D

:)

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: fastkevin ]

• beezer

Posted June 14, 2002 - 04:58 AM

I like to own a YF-450 AND a CRF-450. I could stink up the track on either one.

• stackmaster

Posted June 14, 2002 - 06:04 PM

Ten or more pounds is hudge.Way to go yamaha.

• Mark_UK

Posted June 14, 2002 - 10:56 PM

Last year Paul Edmonson raced in one of the UK GNCC races,
he entered on his little brothers KX80 just for a laff.
he was riding against world class riders on some serious race equipment thumpers and strokers.
for pretty much the whole race he was running 2nd - 3rd overall. and towards the end of the race he was comfortably holding 2nd when the chain let go, and put him out of the race.

the year is 2002,,,,i doubt we are going to see a compitition machine made that will be the limiting factor of your race performance

the yzf450 is going to be lighter then the yzf426
and have more torque , so will be able to pull a taller sprocket ratio.

eat fewer pies and donuts, ITS THE RIDER NOT THE BIKE

[ June 15, 2002: Message edited by: Mark_UK ]

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.