2001 XR650L exhaust help

17 replies to this topic
  • SkyRyder55

Posted May 30, 2004 - 05:36 PM

My buddy has an 01 XR650L nad want to get a bit more power out of it. How restricted is the stock exhaust. He has already pulled out the baFFLE. Is it worth it to get a new muffler. Who makes the best exhaust for that bike.
Thanks

• jlpskydive

Posted May 31, 2004 - 01:42 AM

I have the Supertrapp IDS2. Noticable differece in perfomance and sound. And not that pricey.

• xr650Lroostnya

Posted May 31, 2004 - 05:07 AM

Three words: White Brothers E-Series :thumbsup:

• uw153

Posted June 01, 2004 - 03:47 AM

I have the FMF Q on mine and have a an IDS2 on an older DR650. For the money I would have to say IDS2 for the fact that it's cheaper and easy to adjust for jetting. For that matter the White brother woulf fit the bill also as it runs dics also. I like my FMF but it's blowing packing out left and right where my IDS2 did not. There are a few new ones out there that are designed for the XR600 that will fit the 650L your choice is how much money you want to spend.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 01, 2004 - 03:56 PM

There's lots to do before messing with the exhaust (which isn't horribly restrictive, btw...).
If he hasn't, he'll want to pull the snorkel, drill the slide, shim the needle, get a foam or K&N air filter.
After these really cheap mods, some decide to go further and do the pipe.
BUT, stealth rules, and will let you get into/out of riding places you otherwise couldn't.

http://www.thumperta...5/o/all/fpart/1

-Dave

• enduromaniac

Posted June 01, 2004 - 09:03 PM

There's lots to do before messing with the exhaust (which isn't horribly restrictive, btw...).
If he hasn't, he'll want to pull the snorkel, drill the slide, shim the needle, get a foam or K&N air filter.
After these really cheap mods, some decide to go further and do the pipe.
BUT, stealth rules, and will let you get into/out of riding places you otherwise couldn't.

http://www.thumperta...5/o/all/fpart/1

-Dave

I agree. The real key to performance gains with the xr650L is derestricting the intake, and richening up the jetting. Exhaust mods are worthwhile only if you truly hate the look or sound of the stocker. Performance gain is minimal. I used to work in a shop that sold high performance automobile mufflers, and it amazes me that the aftermarket motorcycle exhaust companies charge $250 to $400 dollars for a small aluminum can. We sold much higher quality performance mufflers for cars at a third that price. I realize that bikes are a smaller, more specialized market ...but still, I don't know how these companies can justify their prices.

• SkyRyder55

Posted June 03, 2004 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I will pass it on to him. I have a CRF450 and I let him take it for a ride and it scared the [@#$%&*!] out of him.

• siambxr

Posted June 03, 2004 - 07:33 PM

Over sized Head pipes E-series pipes all from white brother.. take the snorkel out 55 pilot jet and 170 main and a washer on the needle jet.. Have this on my heavy SuperMoto XR650L but she can scoot very well. :thumbsup:

http://f1.pg.photos.....&.dnm=ddcd.jpg

• Norge

Posted June 04, 2004 - 08:16 PM

Three words (abreviations) "KTM SXC 625". Putting fancy exhaust or diet plans on a 650L is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted June 05, 2004 - 01:22 AM

Three words (abreviations) "KTM SXC 625". Putting fancy exhaust or diet plans on a 650L is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Not everyone is looking to go super-fast. The L is heavy but its very capable.
People look for a little help with what they have, and then some a-hole starts putting down what they have.
Your KTM is faster than my L, but I guarantee it will go ANYWHERE your KTM will. Its about getting out there and having some fun.
PS read torturechambers ridereport with the photos and STFU.

• Dual_Dog

Posted June 05, 2004 - 03:17 AM

Not everyone is looking to go super-fast. The L is heavy but its very capable.
People look for a little help with what they have, and then some a-hole starts putting down what they have.
Your KTM is faster than my L, but I guarantee it will go ANYWHERE your KTM will. Its about getting out there and having some fun.
PS read torturechambers ridereport with the photos and STFU.

More like a big angry wild bore with sharp teeth and thumpin' legs. :thumbsup:

• Norge

Posted June 06, 2004 - 06:43 PM

Wee Dogies!! :thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 07, 2004 - 05:26 AM

Juss watch 'Hannibal' and you'll see what happens when you get too near a wild pig! :thumbsup:

• slip

Posted June 08, 2004 - 03:20 PM

You wouldn't believe some of the places I take my L. The weight is not an issue with me, keeps me fit at 49. :thumbsup:

• Buckarmadillo

Posted June 08, 2004 - 05:05 PM

Slip.......don't sell the Pig.....buy a used ZRX!

• michaeln

Posted June 10, 2004 - 04:47 PM

I had a 2001 KTM LC4 640 SuperMoto. Yeah, it's got a more powerful motor, but it's about as heavy as my SM-converted XR650L, and I can honestly say I am *far* happier with the XR. The suspension (after my mods) works better, it's more comfortable, easier to ride fast, and reliable as a stone axe.

My KTM lost the bottom end at 12,100 miles ($2,000 repair) and the cylinder head cracked 1500 miles later ($1300 repair). During the two months I owned it, it was in the shop six weeks.

My '98 XR650L supermoto has almost 24,000 miles without a single mechanical problem.

No more Euro-horrors for me. I'd rather ride than sit around waiting for KTM to get parts in and fix the POS.

• enduromaniac

Posted June 19, 2004 - 05:46 PM

Yeah, but it's a pig that doesn't break every two weeks. KTM stands for Kraut Temporary Motor.

• MotoChris521

Posted June 20, 2004 - 03:37 AM

Or , Kosts Tons o'Money ! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.