sticking slide

1 reply to this topic
  • rorhound

Posted May 30, 2004 - 05:30 PM

Anyone else have their carb slide stick? It happened to me today but I was lucky that it happened on a straight with no jumps. I just locked up the brakes and hit the kill button.

Once I was home and I changed my shorts, I started with the throttle assembly and worked my way down to the slide, which was stuck. I diconnected the linkage and found that the slide still wouldn't go up and down and it was actually stuck in the carb. I put my fingers in each side of the carb, while peering down the top, and applied pressure to release it. Release it did as it bounced off my forehead and on to the garage floor. Further inspection showed the slide valve (the part that connects to the slide) had a coating on it that decided to bubble up and bind the slide to the inside of the carb in a open position. I ended up using 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper to get the coating off. I reinstalled and went out and rode for an hour with no further problems.

If you haven't already, you may want to take your slide out and check it before it happens to you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Anssi

Posted May 31, 2004 - 10:47 AM

Dude, that stuff does not just "bubble up" for no reason, and it is there for a purpose. I would be checking my intake valves and the gas I'm using and check that plate regularly. A piece broke off mine on my 520SX and wedged itself between the head and the piston.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.