R there 2 different Oils?

12 replies to this topic
  • javelinmxer

Posted June 13, 2002 - 06:32 PM

Did Yamaha seperate the oils like Honda did?

• Scott_F

Posted June 13, 2002 - 06:50 PM

Since they didn't brag about it, or a wet sump, it seems it has neither feature. :)

• bonez34

Posted June 13, 2002 - 06:55 PM

the oil is no longer in the frame but i don't know about 2 separate ones.

• Scott_F

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:17 PM

Yeah, I see the oil filler on the left side engine cover, so it must be wet sump now.

• Bambislayer

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:21 PM

If you look though, there is still a drain bolt at the bottom of the front downtube.

• bonez34

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:29 PM

That's the nitrous blow off valve.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted June 14, 2002 - 03:00 AM

I'm confused too. The Yamaha page states that they now use an "aluminum oil tube" instead of the old steel one which would suggest dry sump to me (where else to you have an "oil tube" worth bragging about?). However I cannot see the oil fill above the gas tank like on the legacy models. Guess I'll have to wait and see. :)

• motomike137

Posted June 14, 2002 - 03:18 AM

maybee the frame is still a remote resivoir and they only partially reduced the oil capacity?

• cfisher185

Posted June 14, 2002 - 03:20 AM

MotoMike hit the nail on the head ... If one reads the Yamaha release completely you will see that it is dry sump and oil resevoir capacity has been decreased. Still in the frame .. just fill it at the motor and less resides in the frame ..

• Scott_F

Posted June 14, 2002 - 09:49 PM

Maybe there is a filler on the side of the down tube, but why would you need one on the engine case too? :)

They could have eliminated the oil tank behind the down tube, and now only use the down tube as a reservoir.

sir, maybe they are referring to the steel tube that supplies oil to the top end, and it is now aluminum.

• cfisher185

Posted June 14, 2002 - 09:56 PM

Straight from the Yamaha Website, this was from the 250F description but the lil F borrowed all its updates from the big one so I have to think they are the same design ...

Yamaha Says ...

Digital CD ignition system delivers more precise spark and monitors engine speed to ensure optimal timing for faster, stronger response during hard acceleration.
Large-capacity radiator provides outstanding cooling efficiency.
Lightweight exhaust system with specially shaped header angle maximizes engine power and allows hassle-free replacement of oil filter.
Aluminum exhaust silencer looks trick and reduces weight.
Primary kickstarting (with all-new automatic decompression and hot start lever) ensures easy restarts.
Dry sump lubrication system uses frame as oil tank, helping to create a more compact engine and chassis for superb handling performance.
Magnesium cylinder head cover helps shave weight.
Trick, works-style clutch lever features race-spec barrel adjuster for on-the-fly adjustability.

Removable aluminum rear subframe constructed of square-section pipe for reduced weight.
Lightweight 46mm inverted Kayaba cartridge fork features 11.8" of travel with compression and rebound adjustability.
Low-friction outer tubes and aluminum piston rods ensure smooth, compliant fork stroke for superior handling and light steering.
Rear suspension system features fully adjustable Kayaba shock with 12.4" of travel and separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping.
Lightweight 21" front and 19" rear rims provide exceptional durability and help reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance.
Premium Dunlop 739 knobbies offer unbeatable, competition-spec traction and excellent wear.

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: cfisher185 ]

• Scott_F

Posted June 14, 2002 - 09:58 PM

I just snagged this from the Euro site:

"- New shape integral oil tank with relocated filler cap".

Dry sump it is.

• Scott_F

Posted June 14, 2002 - 10:07 AM

I also just noticed that the aluminum oil "hoses" seem to be replacing the steel lines from frame to motor.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.