WR450 2003 and noisy engine

37 replies to this topic
  • Kossu

Posted May 30, 2004 - 11:09 AM

First, sorry about language, i`m not speaking english natively.

I have just bought -03 wr 450 and wondering about abnormal noise from engine. I`s like rattling sound of something being loose, i can`t locate source of the noise exactly but it ain`t clutct or gearbox, thats for sure. Noise is irregular and it`s stroger when engine is cold. On low rpm noise is clearly present, on higher rpm noise vanishes.

What could cause that kind of noise? Automatic decompression system? Slack timing chain? Something else? Any ideas?

• simch

Posted May 30, 2004 - 11:26 AM

hello kossu,
do you have a skidplate fitted (for enduro). These make normal engine noises a lot louder especially when actually riding the bike. It amplifies the noise and sends it upwards toward the rider.
If not, it may be worth checking all obvious things but also that the flywheel / stator is nice and tight. The 03 had some problems in this area.

• YamahaSteve

Posted May 30, 2004 - 11:49 AM

I would definitely check everyhting to make sure it is OK but the big watercooled 4-strokes make alot of engine noise. They make the cylinder walls and head thicknesses very thin to reduce weight so you end up hearing everything. I thought somthing was wrong with my 04 WR when I bought it because it sounded like it was trying to jackhammer concrete inside there.

Again, check everything out but they are noisy when they are running perfect too.

• Kossu

Posted May 30, 2004 - 12:03 PM

Yep, i have skidplate fitted. I`m just wondering what is normal engine noise and whats not, don`t know anybody here who has similar bike so i could go to listen their bikes. Dealer who sold me this wr had 03 yz450 and it had also same kind of rattling sound but only much gentler.

I have checked flywheel nut, it was ok.

• endurodog

Posted May 30, 2004 - 01:46 PM

Some say a loose chain will cause this noise making you think its your engine.

• SteadyEddy

Posted May 30, 2004 - 05:13 PM

yer, check your chain for correct tension :thumbsup:

• timvv51

Posted May 30, 2004 - 05:16 PM

Endurodog is right on about the chain. WR450 is notorious about a chain just a little loose rattlein like crazy at low rpm. Lot of people thought it was the clutch at first but its just the chain. Hope thats your noise.

• rick2900

Posted May 31, 2004 - 07:27 AM

Yep most likley your chain :thumbsup:

• sabin

Posted May 31, 2004 - 09:07 AM

So if it is the chain what do you do?

• rick2900

Posted May 31, 2004 - 10:34 AM

You ajust it :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamahaSteve

Posted May 31, 2004 - 11:08 AM

If it is the chain then you can fix it. The first message I was under the impression you were talking about when you were running to motor but not riding around. So I didn't mention the chain.

The funny thing about it is that the WR bikes have alot of chain slap in them. Mine is adjusted according to spec from the manual and I still have a ton of slapping noises. Somthing I found out was that the sound actually was coming from the chain guide on the swing arm nearest the engine. You can pull on it and it moves. The chain slaps that and then it slaps the swing arm making all the racket. It used some clear silicone to glue the guide on the swingarm and it helped immensely. If you look under the guide it is actually wearing through your swing arm... it is a known problem with the WR. If you over tighten your chain to eliminate the noise then you will prematurely wear the tranny and the rear hub bearings.

• Kossu

Posted May 31, 2004 - 02:32 PM

The first message I was under the impression you were talking about when you were running to motor but not riding around.

Yep, thats what i ment.

I have checked cam chain, valve clearances and rotor nut, all are now ok. Still motor has kinda crude sound, i`m wondering that could it be some gears making that noise, noticed while checking rotor nut that balancer shaft has a quite lot of clearance in proportion to crankshaft. I think i`m going to check under the right crankcase cover also to see all is ok over there too.

• Beta_Man

Posted May 31, 2004 - 05:11 PM

Yeah I would check under the clutch side case cover. On two 450's that I know of were making awful noise and the primary gear nut was loose causing the gear to rattle resulting in rattling the water pump. I took out the water pump and the counter balancer were the water pump shaft slide in was almost worn right out. The water pump shaft could almost turn right around in there it was worn so much. Also the crack shaft is worn now from the rattling primary gear.

• Ronnie Mac

Posted May 31, 2004 - 06:02 PM

The noise from my wr would come and go. I noticed after a oil change some of the noise was less. I also think that during cool temp the noise was less then hot temp.Change oil and move up to a thicker oil and see if that helps. It might just help. :thumbsup:

• Kossu

Posted June 02, 2004 - 09:29 PM

Yeah I would check under the clutch side case cover. On two 450's that I know of were making awful noise and the primary gear nut was loose causing the gear to rattle resulting in rattling the water pump. I took out the water pump and the counter balancer were the water pump shaft slide in was almost worn right out. The water pump shaft could almost turn right around in there it was worn so much. Also the crack shaft is worn now from the rattling primary gear.

Yep, same thing in my wr too, i could easily turn nut with my fingers, only thing that was keeping nut on place was lock washer. I`m glad that i found reason for noise, now bike sounds right. :thumbsup:

• Beta_Man

Posted June 03, 2004 - 03:36 AM

How was the water pump shaft. Was there lots of play in it.

• Kossu

Posted June 05, 2004 - 03:04 AM

There were pretty much play in water pump shaft but i assume thats normal because i could not see any marks of wearing on water pump shaft or on ballancer end slot. How much play should normally exist on water pump shaft?

• Beta_Man

Posted June 05, 2004 - 07:12 AM

I am not to sure how much play should be in the water pump shaft, but on mine you could see where it was wearing, on mine I could turn it about 140 degrees and once it goes to 180 it would just spin free in there.

• Lowedog

Posted June 07, 2004 - 01:10 PM

My 450 has been noisy also. I passed it off as thats just how these four strokes are. After seeing this post I pulled the right side cover and found the same thing. The primary gear nut was just finger tight. Only thing holding it on was the lock washer. Some light wear on the crankshaft but not bad. Put Red Loctite on it and retorqued it. Hopefully it will stay put this time.

Later,
Lowedog

• strokerfan

Posted June 08, 2004 - 12:13 AM

Is the primary gear nut directly accessbile after removing the case cover, or do other parts have to be removed to get to it?

I'm new to the WR...and have no manual, etc...

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.