4 speed

Thumpy

I would most likely say yes, All the manufacturers, developement is at least two years ahead of what is production. I would guess. They dont just dream this stuff up and build it for the masses.

Vegas,

What di d I say that was badgering or hurting you ?

I did not say anything agains Ferry, I agree I think he is a kick butt take no prisners rider.

Man if this isnt a Rant of Nonsense Dude, You are the one out of control

Man cool off

Why Cant you understand that yamaha built the YZf's strickly to compete in SX, MX indoor and outdoor. Just as Yamaha has built other bikes TTr, WR, and others. Why DOnt you understand that the WR is made for another group that wants to woods, cowtrail and enduro ride.

Vegas Come on , I see no validity to your statements. For Craps sake get ahold of yourself BOY drop it.

And ya if you read what I have been saying in the posts regarding flaming, I have said it all along, Slander Name calling cussing and other wise malicious content is something I never Started. I was guilty yes Vegas, I admited it, I am stoping it, but for you you get so bent so quick you spout off in 10 year old nepolean syndrom antics...

Peace ?

[ June 15, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, by the response to this thread this is a hot topic, and some people are legitimately disappointed in the 4 speed. You can say all you want about how it is built for 'mx only blah..blah..blah' but they are actually built to sell. This seems to be a poor decision on someone in Yamaha's marketing department, since the mx'ers really wouldn't care if it were a 5 speed and weighed 1 1/2 pounds more(if you honestly think that would make the bike less effective in your hands you are deluded), but those who use them for other things do care about missing a gear. The percentage of mx bikes used for 'non-mx' activities is staggering, and alienating those buyers is not smart business, especially when the other choice (5 speeds) would not affect your target mx buyer one bit.

Originally posted by mxaddict:

The percentage of mx bikes used for 'non-mx' activities is staggering, and alienating those buyers is not smart business, especially when the other choice (5 speeds) would not affect your target mx buyer one bit.

Yamaha may be putting their eggs in the "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" basket. Maybe in this configuration, they think the bike will be much more competitive at (at least) the pro level, and the results will sell more bikes.

Look at NASCAR (hold on, have to vomit).

Those freaking pigs have absolutely nothing in common with the Gran Torino(or is it an LTD?) Darryl (and his other brother Darryl) buys at the local Ford store. The fact that he saw his HE-RO Ned Waltrip win with a race car(term used loosely) called the same name, is good enough for him. It's possiboo..

?

Originally posted by fastkevin:

Look at NASCAR (hold on, have to vomit).

Those freaking pigs have absolutely nothing in common with the Gran Torino(or is it an LTD?) Darryl (and his other brother Darryl) buys at the local Ford store. The fact that he saw his HE-RO Ned Waltrip win with a race car(term used loosely) called the same name, is good enough for him. It's possiboo..

?

Hah! Every Neck-CAR fan I know drives a truck...

Originally posted by BFLee:

That's funny, every DIRTBIKER I know drives a truck.

Whats with the nascar bashing? Go clean and lube your chain.

Dirtbikers drive trucks? Really?

And I'll clean my chain right after I finish watching this line of cars turn left 378 more times...it's...Yaaawwwnnnn...riveting. ?

Nascar has to have the format it has to be as successful as it is. The AMA has tried marketing mx that way(i.e. more indoor events and fewer outdoor ones). Gues what? It worked. The 2002 SX season was the best ever in 30 years. Attendance was at its highest, we saw great racing, and the championship was undecided from a points perspective up until a few rounds from the end even though most of us knew who would win.

Here is the way it is broken down.

Roadracing bores American spectators. The entire track is not visible from one spot. Of those who do like it, they typically hate Nascar, but at the same time do also typically participate in some form of motorized competition personally.

The fans which like Nascar are typically just fans. They do not race anything themselves.

The dilemma is this:

The Nascar/SX fans are what generate the revenues to keep the sports popular on TV which helps keep it alive. The other half(or less?) of us are the ones who actually buy machines of some sort and autocross, roadrace, mx, etc. This is why the manufacturers typically budget more for marketing at outdoor events. Those spectators are more likely to buy a bike and race it.

You thinking that NASCAR is boring is the same as 100 people saying MX sucks, which is about what the ratio would be, if not worse.

Mxaddict

You brought in the marketing angle good call.

Lets look at that, If Yamaha is guilty of anything (As All the Manufacturers are) it’s Marketing to the Masses. Yes All Manufacturers Market / Target Specific groups of SHEEPLE.

FastKevin States "Race On Sunday Sell On Monday” That is so correct.

How do these two add up, simple Marketing is no dummy, they know that if Billy-Bob Bendover on his Brand New Factory Works Bike Wins and the Fans Like Him. The Fans / SHEEPLE will swarm like Flies on Poop to get everything Billy-Bob Bendover rides, wears, eats and sleeps.

Sheeple are extremely motivated by winners, they paint there faces the same color as there team, they buy and wear the same jersey, they buy and add stickys all over there bike so there bike looks like Ferry's.

Companies know this and rely heavily on the "SHEEPLE Effect'

So does it matter if its a 2,3,4 0r 20 speed NO. As long as the bike wins it will be sold, If Honda on the other hand built a bike that started winning and trouncing the Blue Beast at the races, what do you think would happen in the Market place?

Blues would go up for sale world Wide and Reds would go up in price 1k.

Vegas

You still have not answered my question,

What did I say in My Post that started "YOUR ATTACK" and Name calling at me?

That seems to be your issue Vegas, You accuse people of the very thing you Start and can not back it up, and when challenged you still have no answer but to blame others.

Enquiring Minds Want to Know

Peace

Ego ?

Guys check out this site, it's the european site for Yamaha racing, and this link takes you to the YZ500FM specs page where the four speed is being run. Go through and find out what four speed is leading the european standings as well. I know, 90% rider and this bike still has another 50cc's , but interesting though. Show's Yamaha has been doing their homework in performance, maybe not marketing. Just my thoughts, can't wait to ride one!!! ?

Originally posted by EgoAhole:

So does it matter if its a 2,3,4 0r 20 speed NO.

I don't think the SHEEPLE effect is very big amongst off-road bike purchaser's, at least in a bike's professional performance leading to bike sales(may apply to some peripherals/upgrades). Kawi 250's and 125's sold like dogs while RC won everything in site on them, and Honda 250 sales took a dive this year with the introduction of the 450, yet the 250 won far more. Even SHEEPLE will buy the model that best suits their needs/desires. KTM's amazing success has proven that people will buy what they want if somebody makes it, even if Billy-Bob Bendover has never been beaten by one.

Now if you want to discuss the power of a magazine shootout, wow, now that has serious SHEEPLE effect... ?

Resale is gonna SUCK on these (at least in most markets.) Look at the KTM SX's. No longer will used bikes be bought by unknowing spodes, told the bike was only used for trail riding. ? Hell, everyone will know it's a "race-only" bike and it's been flogged within inches of it's life. Word will get around the 'net as it always does and this bike will known as MX ONLY...so unless you're racing MX, DON'T BUY IT!! However UNTRUE this may be, you know it's going to happen. Sure hope I get to ride one though!!!

I predict a return to 5 in '04.

hey fellers,

i can't believe thehomorapture hasn't started repeatedly posting that no one will be able to tell the difference between the 02 yzf and the 03 yzf. come on, i bet he could ride them back to back with a klx 300 and he would not be able to tell which was which.

god knows he said this enough about the 02 crf and the 02 yzf. maybe the 03 ho will rule because it is a yamaho. i bet if it had a one speed tranny and an airbox made of bamboo he would want to love it in its special place.

please insult me for stirring up porky,

mmr

ps. i think there will be a difference between the 02 and the 03 yzf. one that even a rider with the lack of sensory feedback felt by therapture could feel. remember, he says that you have to be "pro" to tell if a bike turns ****ty or is heavier than something else.

Okay, experiment done, I just went back and did a search for 4-speed gear box.

Guess what I found? You'll never guess that with all the hype and excitement about the 03' bike no one once said, gee, I hope it's gonna be a 4-speed. I did find plenty of hope for a lighter bike and even for Yamaha to address the "starting drill". But NO ONE said, gee, I hope it's a 4-speed.

That being said, all you guys who like the 4-speed had no want before it came out??? So what gives?

Originally posted by MadMikeRowan:

hey fellers,

i can't believe thehomorapture hasn't started repeatedly posting that no one will be able to tell the difference between the 02 yzf and the 03 yzf. come on, i bet he could ride them back to back with a klx 300 and he would not be able to tell which was which.

god knows he said this enough about the 02 crf and the 02 yzf. maybe the 03 ho will rule because it is a yamaho. i bet if it had a one speed tranny and an airbox made of bamboo he would want to love it in its special place.

please insult me for stirring up porky,

mmr

ps. i think there will be a difference between the 02 and the 03 yzf. one that even a rider with the lack of sensory feedback felt by therapture could feel. remember, he says that you have to be "pro" to tell if a bike turns ****ty or is heavier than something else.

ah, never said nobody could tell a difference, just that either one is perfectly capable of winning. You sir are a moron ? and starting flames. I almost did not reply to you because as most TT'ers here know, you are not worth arguing with. Maybe the reason I can do good on either bike is because I am a better rider than you, and can adapt. Remember, 90% rider, 10% bike.

And you really need to get a grasp of interpreting the english language, as I said nothing like what you stated in your post.

And please, I don't need anyone here to insult you for posting a flame thread to me. What is your problem anyway? Did I offend you somewhere? I usually find that most people get mad and attack me personally because I gave solid evidence and experience to a claim I make, and that is the only way they can attempt to refute me in an area where I disagreed with said person.