4 speed

206 replies to this topic
  • rmarion

Posted June 14, 2002 - 10:45 AM

Ya I heard the same complaints from Doug, Jimmy and Timmy.......

The bikes are not fast enought with 4 gears :)

They are making a WR also...

Instead of counting sheep I'll be counting YZ'ZZZZZZZZZ :D :D :D

Great Job YAMAHA!!!!!

• BFLee

Posted June 14, 2002 - 10:51 AM

After this thread I think I finally understand why KTM makes THREE models of their bikes :D

Hey Yamaha, where is the YR/WZ 450 :)

• Hick

Posted June 14, 2002 - 10:51 AM

Originally posted by hsstar:
The premature boo hoos are fun to read though.

You don't get it. The bike is going to be a four speed. Some of us here at TTalk need five speeds, so we are disappointed. What is premature about that?

In case you haven't noticed, a lot of people ride the YZ426, and all other MX bikes, competitively, in events OTHER than motocross.

I'm just tired of the motocross crowd acting like that is the only sport that folks use the YZ for.

Despite the myriad improvements it would not surprise me one bit if the YZ 450 doesn’t sell as well as the 426 because of that one extra five dollar part the former lacks that cripples its versatility, which IMO is what made it so popular to begin with.

Now the off road crowd will have to buy the WR and get rid of all the extra foof. Unless Yamaha has taken notice of the upstart success of KTM and is making the WR more race-ready like the EXC/MXC line…

• Wakeman

Posted June 14, 2002 - 11:16 AM

So how many of you have ridden the new 4spd?

If you read the yamaha page its says that all the ratios are revised, and actually lists what they are.

Ride it first, then complain. I had a 2000 Husky TE610 that would do 128mph in 6th. It would do about 70mph in 3rd, and you could start in 3rd, altought I usually started it in 2nd. Anyway the point is that I had 6 gears, and only used two: 2nd, and 3rd, cause 4th, 5th and 6th were just downright scary. I had $3K of motor work done to get it from its stock 45hp to 70+hp. Ended up selling it cause I felt like my arms were being ripped out of there sockets.

I bet the YZ sells more. Lighter, and if the WR 5-spd doesn't fit somebody will make one. Also after people with WR start getting beat at CC races by YZ's alot of this 4-spd nonsense will go away. Most bikes have the gear too close together anyways.

Now if Kawi and Suzuki would just join the party maybe things would get real interesting.

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 14, 2002 - 11:22 AM

Wakeman
Ditto Ditto

I love the 426 5 speed but have a hard time with how quick I have to shift the beast. I am always looking for a taller gear. I would love to have a four speed the taller gears; higher rev through the gears would be welcome for me.

I can only speculate what the gearbox is going to be like but I would say it is going to be a blast to ride. And those that are quipping about it now,
Will most likely sell there 5 speeder first chance they can once they ride the 4 banger?

You want to feel some punch coming out of the hole a 4 speed 450 is going to set your teeth back, and the woody oh ya lets talk about the woooooddyyyyyy
Well Thats my $4.50's worth
If I had the Money (Well Actually the Wife to Let Me :) ) I would be down at the shop now plopping money down

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• Hick

Posted June 14, 2002 - 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Wakeman:
So how many of you have ridden the new 4spd?

If you read the yamaha page its says that all the ratios are revised, and actually lists what they are.

Thanks for the update :)

Yes, I’ve looked at the ratios. I’m an Excel geek. I have made a spreadsheet that models the transmission. It should top out in the 75 to 80 mph range.

I’ve also ridden a four speed on an off-road course during a pre ride (520 SX). It even had a smaller rear sprocket, but what it needed was a fifth gear. I would have bought that thing on the spot if it did, but then that was before I had ridden the YZ 426.

Thanks for trying, but I don’t think anybody can convince me that I don’t need a YZ with a five speed. Because I do. I will just have to make my own, either by gutting a WR, or adding a few parts to a YZ.

• therapture

Posted June 14, 2002 - 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Hick:

Thanks for trying, but I don’t think anybody can convince me that I don’t need a YZ with a five speed. Because I do. I will just have to make my own, either by gutting a WR, or adding a few parts to a YZ.

And that hick, is the reason someone WILL offer a kit, no doubt about it. I bet it will be easy to make the YZF a 5-speeder.

Funny how out of all the changes in the 2003, the tranny is the biggest flame starter!

:)

• moto614

Posted June 14, 2002 - 12:32 PM

I bought a yz and ride it in the woods only,i love it,the new yz is a four speed ok no big deal, it seems that yamaha has changed all the things i didn't like about the wr PLUS the e-start.my next bike(santa are you listening??)will be the wr450. you guys that are fighting about this need to get a life.every one is entitled to their own opinion(and it may not be yours)and realize you will never change some peoples minds.

huggs and kisses to all

jeffro

• Hick

Posted June 14, 2002 - 12:35 PM

Originally posted by therapture:

And that hick, is the reason someone WILL offer a kit, no doubt about it. I bet it will be easy to make the YZF a 5-speeder.

Funny how out of all the changes in the 2003, the tranny is the biggest flame starter!

:D

I predict ZipTy Racing is first to the market with either a kit to YZ the WR, or a gear set to five-speed the YZ. I hope Ty likes the new bike’s extra power and lighter weight enough to start riding the thumper more often, it seems lately he has been riding the two stroke in the WORCS series. It will be interesting to see which thumper he ends up on, WR or YZ…

As for the flames, I’m just as guilty as getting all in a snit as the next guy, I guess we should all try to remember that our riding experiences aren’t the same as others :)

• tuck

Posted June 14, 2002 - 12:54 PM

WOW!!!! :) :D :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • needsprayer

Posted June 14, 2002 - 12:56 PM

I called Yamaha Corp and asked them why only four gears on the YZ450F. Turns out they did a survey of Yamaha Motocross riders (professional and amateurs).

They asked them to name their 5 favorite music bands. Well it turned out that everyone of them could only name 4 before they had to ask: "How many was that?"

Yamaha surmised that the Blue Motocross riders could remember no more than four previous events. Hence the four gears are an attempt to remove the confusion factor of "Which gear am I in?"

Personally, I think they put in a gear too many, seeing how they all got lost after naming 3 bands. :) :D :D

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: needsprayer ]

• mxaddict

Posted June 14, 2002 - 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Hick:
As for the flames, I’m just as guilty as getting all in a snit as the next guy, I guess we should all try to remember that our riding experiences aren’t the same as others :)

And you said I was too much for the blue side...feel free to retract that now obviously askew statement...lol :D :D :D

• mikeolichney

Posted June 14, 2002 - 01:41 PM

Originally posted by gonzo:
The WR is getting a weight reduction as well if that is what your interested in.

Do you really think the WR450 will be lighter than the WR426 after they add estart? I dont buy it for a second. Its going to be a few lbs heavier. E start battery and starter usually add 13 pound or so (I think that is the DRZ spec) and that is with removing the kickstarter. The new WR has both.

• Hick

Posted June 14, 2002 - 09:02 PM

Originally posted by mxaddict:

And you said I was too much for the blue side...feel free to retract that now obviously askew statement...lol :) :D :D

Difference being I label my flames as such. :D

• Hick

Posted June 14, 2002 - 09:05 PM

Originally posted by needsprayer:
Well it turned out that everyone of them could only name 4 before they had to ask: "How many was that?"

HA! I love it.

That is the second-funniest thing I have ever read on TTalk.

• freestyle111

Posted June 15, 2002 - 02:53 AM

i dont think the argument should be about needing a 5th gear.it does matter if you need it it the comfort you get from just knowing its there.if i lived on thr north pole i'd still own a car with air conditioning.

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 15, 2002 - 04:06 AM

As I stated in Tm Ferry has a 3 speed

The MXA June article states that Ferrys bike is a 4 speed, the fith is only there for AMA rules. Ferry stated he only uses 2nd and 3rd and only third in an outdoor track. So yamaha has been using the 4 speed GB probably for two years (Development time) in Euro and US.

Get over the freaking 4 speed issue. Man there is better thing to carry on about, Like did Janet Reno really slip Martin Sheen the Tongue or is Helen Ready, is All Green or is Marvin Gay.

Also This puts yz-n-vegas's Campaign for Ferry for prez in jepordy, after all Ferry runs a 4 uh-huh 3 speed, and we all know how vegas feels about 4 speeders :)

• yznvegas

Posted June 15, 2002 - 06:03 AM

Ego, I still think Ferry is the best PROFESSIONAL rider who represents our chosen ride, the YZ-426 and soon the YZ-450.

I, nor you are a professional rider, we don't have unlimited budget to ride specialized bikes for specialized applications. Why don't you understand that I think for the MOTO application the bike is going to be damn near perfect. Why don't you understand that for mine and a huge majority of other people's applications that the 4-speed is not as versatile as a 5-speed PERIOD. If Yamaha want's to alienate the general public and build "race only" bikes than they will lose my business.

Ego, you want this forum to work better, drop the damn personal attacks you hypocrite. I don't want to hear ego's crap anymore about, "oh, before you make a post does it incite thought". The only thought that your post incites in my mind is the one that rings so clearly already, you are a petty little person. You like to stir the pot one minute and than try to be Mr. Goody-Two-Shoes the next minute.

• thumper4life

Posted June 15, 2002 - 06:34 AM

ANYWAYS!!! do you guys think ferry's running a 450 right now? like how henry was runnin a 426 when the 400 was out? what do you think?

• endo

Posted June 15, 2002 - 11:52 AM

Here are the gear ratios for the 03 copared to the 00

00 03
1st 1.846 1.929
2nd 1.500 1.563
3rd 1.278 1.278
4th 1.091 1.050
5th 0.952 na

prim 2.925 2.818
sec
chain 3.5 3.429

for stock sprockets, if you do the math the 03 1st is 1.4% higher, 4th is 9.22% higher than the 00 4th and 4% lower than the 00 5th. So you basically loose a 6% spread. 4th is still higher than 4th on a wr. I dont know what the 03 wr ratios are though.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.