4 speed

206 replies to this topic
  • John_Lorenz

Posted June 14, 2002 - 05:42 AM

Vegas
Your unbelievable man truly unbelievable
My MahaRaji can help you with that doubt and hate you suffer from.
He can enlighten you to a higher plain.

Well In your case any higher if you fall your noodle will get even more Numb

• dirtdad

Posted June 14, 2002 - 05:43 AM

I think this gear debate also boils down to riding style. With the exception of the dessert guys, how many of can honestly say you regularly bounce off the limiter in 5th even on the straights? :D :D :) :D

• BigDesto

Posted June 14, 2002 - 05:45 AM

Remember in 1981 the yz465 was the beast with a 5
speed tranny,scary fast! I had this bike brand new when i was 15. In 82 they made the YZ490 which i also raced it was a 4 speed! Even with only 4 gears they were spaced very well; it worked great on the track(Indian Dunes{national/shawdow glenn})
and also in the desert where 4th was tall enough to hit some high speeds to hang with the other big
bore bikes of that time. I think that know one really knows nothing!UNTIL THEY RIDE IT!

JohnyMAc-Good luck to you at Mammoth!
:)

• Bambislayer

Posted June 14, 2002 - 05:46 AM

I bounce off of it when I ride through my chocolate dessert.

• yznvegas

Posted June 14, 2002 - 05:46 AM

I bounced off the limiter in 5th gear on saturday, what about you?

Again, if I didn't have 5th my buddy on his girly klx300 would have passed me, which would have been totally LAME.

• therapture

Posted June 14, 2002 - 05:53 AM

Originally posted by yznvegas:
I bounced off the limiter in 5th gear on saturday, what about you?

Again, if I didn't have 5th my buddy on his girly klx300 would have passed me, which would have been totally LAME.

OK GREAT...
now we know that you are slow enough that a klx300 smokes you. Deal with it. The YZ450 is a 4 speed, and meant for MOTOCROSS, NOT desert riding, so I recommend you don't buy one. Get a klx300 instead, seems more your speed. :)

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: therapture ]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 14, 2002 - 05:57 AM

I am not goin to rip on it til I ride my new YZ!!!
But.......I AM a DEZ guy and really desire the 5th and probably 6th!! I am much better at the mid to high speed stuff. That is where I pick off the 250's and 125's!
:D I cannot wait til' Dec for the WR though.and need to satisfy my urge in AUG! with the YZ
I also think the YZ is a great bike and probably "modifiable?"
I would love it if 6 gears would stuff into it!
I don't know if you guys noticed but on the Yammy web site it said something about gear ratios
1st........bla bla bal
2nd .......bla bla bla
3rd.........bla bla
4th.......bla bla bla
5th .......n/a
6th........n/a
Why would they even put that in there when there is no 6th on the 02' OR 03'.....????
I am suspicious?
what do you guys think? :)

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: THUMPIN' ROCK HUCKER ]

• dirtdad

Posted June 14, 2002 - 06:04 AM

Originally posted by Bambislayer:
I bounce off of it when I ride through my chocolate dessert.

I spell one word wrong and I get sh*t for it! I guess I'm the only one that does this. Glad we have an English professor here to keep me straight! :)

• Bambislayer

Posted June 14, 2002 - 06:05 AM

Lighten up, it was a joke.

• dirtdad

Posted June 14, 2002 - 06:06 AM

glad you pointed that out too! :) :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beengoneawhile

Posted June 14, 2002 - 06:08 AM

As a result of last nights revelations, I decided to buy an 02 YZF 426. My rational you ask? Simple, like some of the posts above me, I don't use my bike for MX only. In fact, back when I was racing Hare scrambles and doing a lot of woods riding (western Pa.) I prefered MXers with smaller front/bigger rear sprockets to real woods bikes (Husky CRs vs Husky WRs).

I'd previously posted to find out the differences in the 02 motors and was on the bubble between the YZ and WR 02s, the result is that is seems much easier to change sprockets that to play with timing, jetting, and that strange thing with the carb.

The 4 speed on the 03 YZ took it out of the running and the EOY delivery date, electric start and omission of dry weight from the specs on the WR made the decision easy for me.

Found a dealer with an 02 YZ on the phone, plan on blowing out of work early and riding the new toy all fathers day weekend long!!!

• yznvegas

Posted June 14, 2002 - 06:09 AM

Therapture, maybe your too damn dumb to realize we were on a straight, flat out straight run. No skill applies, just twist the throttle, get it???

Obviously the klx300 couldn't even beat a 4-speed yz450, you dope. I was being sarcastic, kinda like when people tell YOU that you are cool, they are being sarcastic.

:)

• dirtdad

Posted June 14, 2002 - 06:11 AM

hey Usedtobe, where in western Pa are you referring to. Ever here of Sheffield? It's in the middle of the ANF.

• 98yz

Posted June 14, 2002 - 06:15 AM

Man talk about crap, all this talk of the 4 speed tranny. Freakin A, yamaha has been dogged for years with their 2-smokes for having a low dyno power number and being too smooth on the power band, but yet every test ride results in "THIS THING RIPS", "FAST", and so on. Give the tranny a rest until you can ride one, GEEZ.

Somebody get out the cheeze to go with all this whinning.

• therapture

Posted June 14, 2002 - 06:26 AM

Therapture, maybe your too damn dumb to realize we were on a straight, flat out straight run. No skill applies, just twist the throttle, get it???

Obviously the klx300 couldn't even beat a 4-speed yz450, you dope. I was being sarcastic, kinda like when people tell YOU that you are cool, they are being sarcastic.

:D

Nope, I just recognize that you are an incessant, sarcastic flamer, a smart aleck, and appear to be a blatant homophobe. I don't base my life on whether or not anyone thinks I am "cool". I could care less what unimportant internet badasses like you think of me. Especially jackasses like you. You are hated by both red and blue boards alike, so I could care less what you think :) :D Too bad we can't meet face to face and discuss this like men. :D

Fact is, you are not worthy of a real mx bike like the new 450, so stay off it. Take up something like knitting, it is more your style.

• yznvegas

Posted June 14, 2002 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, you wanting to settle this like men wouldn't apply though. BOTH of us would have to be men and since you are obviously so insecure, your probably a little teenage girl with boys on your mind.

Another thing, don't accuse me of being someone who likes to pick fights, look at you coming down on me. You are doing the very same thing you are accusing me of doing, you are not only dumb, but your a hypocrite too.

Have a great day and if you ever want to wash my bike, no thanks, I already got a boy that does that for me.

• mikeolichney

Posted June 14, 2002 - 06:32 AM

Cmon, guys, how many times do you need 1st and 5th on the same race? Just buy a 13 and 15 tooth front sprocket (I assume stock is a 14). Changing front sprokets takes no time at all.

I don't think the 4 speed is that big a deal.

• Hick

Posted June 14, 2002 - 06:38 AM

Originally posted by therapture:
Hey, why are you ASSUMING the did away with FIFTH gear? Maybe they did away with 1st gear and changed the ratios on 2 and 3 a bit....you people have no idea what exactly this thing is going to run like, for all you know, it may have a top speed the same as it was!

Are you serious, or just pulling my leg?

If you had bothered to read the specs you would’ve seen that the YZ450’s fourth gear (and the primary reduction) are basically the same as the 426.

Oh yeah, one other thing, therapture, please can the personal insults, that is not warranted and demonstrates a good bit of immaturity IMO.

• therapture

Posted June 14, 2002 - 06:42 AM

Originally posted by Hick:

Are you serious, or just pulling my leg?

If you had bothered to read the specs you would’ve seen that the YZ450’s fourth gear (and the primary reduction) are basically the same as the 426.

Oh yeah, one other thing, therapture, please can the personal insults, that is not warranted and demonstrates a good bit of immaturity IMO.

I did not say I was right, I just suggested...and no, at that point I had not read the gear specs.

sorry hick, did not mean to flame at you...

yznvegas is another story though :)

• therapture

Posted June 14, 2002 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, you wanting to settle this like men wouldn't apply though. BOTH of us would have to be men and since you are obviously so insecure, your probably a little teenage girl with boys on your mind.

Another thing, don't accuse me of being someone who likes to pick fights, look at you coming down on me. You are doing the very same thing you are accusing me of doing, you are not only dumb, but your a hypocrite too.

Have a great day and if you ever want to wash my bike, no thanks, I already got a boy that does that for me.

You're such a weenie muncher it hurts me! I love this! I have not had a good flame thread in a while! :D You can always tell you got to someone when they start insulting you directly or if they insult your mother or family. Looks like I win! And I am not being hippocritical, I will step right out and say that if we could meet, I would bounce your puny little smart ass head off the ground a few times :D THEN I would run you over with my bike :) After that, I would call the ambulance for you. :D See, I am a nice guy after all. :D

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.