4 speed

206 replies to this topic
  • freestyle111

Posted June 13, 2002 - 09:21 PM

maybe they had fifth gear and it was stolen by aliens from another planet.

• Mark_UK

Posted June 13, 2002 - 10:55 PM

im not sure why you are complaining.

yamaha looks to have produced a very competative MX bike
[it was before the changes]

they have also produced an improved enduro/trail bike.

you now have two platforms from which to start.
and lets face it the yamaha engine will probably stomp all over the honda
look at what honda offer....CRF450 and the xr400

if they have saved 10lbs thats some achievement

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 14, 2002 - 02:21 AM

Looks interesting. I'm curious to see how they work in the real world. I'm afraid that all the super duper light parts might affect durability. Also looks like it's still a dry sump (I link that part myself :D ). This is from the Yamaha page:

> aluminum oil hose (was steel);

It's a shame it changed to a 4 speed, I think they're going to loose a lot of off-road sales because of this, but who knows, maybe the new motor can pull wider gears and the new 4th might be roughly equal to the old 5th? I didn't think they would have gone this route. Anyway, bikes have been getting better with time so I trust they know what they're doing. :)

• therapture

Posted June 14, 2002 - 02:51 AM

Originally posted by Hick:

[flame]

The YZ is a race bike you simpleton. Like Ty Davis (just one example) ever showed up ANYWHERE on a WR. Perhaps you should ring him up and break the news (news to him, anyway) that the YZ is not meant for his type of racing.

[/flame]

[ June 13, 2002: Message edited by: Hick ]

Hey, why are you ASSUMING the did away with FIFTH gear? Maybe they did away with 1st gear and changed the ratios on 2 and 3 a bit....you people have no idea what exactly this thing is going to run like, for all you know, it may have a top speed the same as it was! And Hick, stop being an A S S....

So as far as flaming, quit being an "flamer" boy and wait for the real deal, ride one when it is available.

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 14, 2002 - 03:01 AM

I CANT FREAKIN STAND THIS ANYMORE!
WA-WA-WA How about some cheese with that WHINE

Just 12 freaking hours ago all you "NOW COMPLIANERS were
<ul type="square">[*]oh my yamaha this yamaha that[*]Will be Lighter[*]Will it be [*]will it be[*]Will it Be
[/list]Now ya just be complaining that its a four speed
So freaking what, ITS A MX bike Dim Wads, and its a Four Stroke. 95% of you cant use the bike for what it was built for anyway.

I for one think the bike is awsome, I think its hype too, like anything from a company that sells things that the masses want. Nice looking 02 with new cosmetics though.

And Freestyle your are right In another post you stated. Is Yamha putting back any profits in keeping Dirt Bike Lands open ?
I would go further, Is the Industry involved....
Get a grip Sheeple, I mean My gad, ya get all frothed at the mouth over a bike, What the Heck are ya gonna do on your Wedding night or for that matter when you discover GIRLS!!!!!!!
AHHHHH Now look what you made me do ! :D
Maharaji Maharaji, Help I repent I repent
:)

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• rob1980

Posted June 14, 2002 - 03:14 AM

I agree Ego, I think you really need to look at the gear ratios or even ride the bike before making judgement. 4th could be a similar ratio to the old 5th, and even if it was a bit lower the extra grunt would pull it.
First may be slightly high, and the other ratios slightly wider.

• motomike137

I trail ride my 01 426 some and I never use 1st gear on the thing as it is and fifth is just used for an occasional top speed banzai stand up wheelie down some wide open stretch. I don't see any problem with losing a gear in the tranny and just swapping sprockets between the mx and trail usages. The worst part of all this sniveling is that all those better than the rest of us red bike riders are just sittin back laughing at us. Lets just wait and see how well the thing really works. I have a sneaky suspicion this bike won't be holding anybody back from beating a guy on a Honda.

• therapture

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by socalmxer:
I would have bought a KTM520 a long time ago if I only wanted a 4 speed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Hick:

Bingo.

If you don't like it, show them you don't, stop bitching, and DON'T buy the 2003. Yamaha did what they thought was necessary to make a winning bike, and MX is the target, where you don't need a 5-gear tranny, especially on a large displacement, long stroke thumper. And besides, like many have said, you don't know what the top speed is....hell, some factory bikes have even had THREE speed trannies, I mean the "works" bikes in Europe, real 3 speeds, not just blocked off gearsets.

The thing is, if the motor is DESIGNED to work with 4 gears, it could very well be as fast top speed as it ever was.

• cfisher185

Posted June 14, 2002 - 03:16 AM

WOOHOO!! Ego is Back ... :D :) :D

• therapture

Posted June 14, 2002 - 03:18 AM

Originally posted by rob1980:
I agree Ego, I think you really need to look at the gear ratios or even ride the bike before making judgement. 4th could be a similar ratio to the old 5th, and even if it was a bit lower the extra grunt would pull it.
First may be slightly high, and the other ratios slightly wider.

I been saying something similar to that, nobody ever reads my posts :D :) J/K

But right on, these whine loving cheese eaters that are flaming it can't even see beyond the letters. I bet the bike will RIP, top speed will be FAST, and like Ego said, most riders can't ride the bike to anywhere near it's potential. I never use fifth gear on the tracks I ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fastkevin

Posted June 14, 2002 - 03:31 AM

Originally posted by Bambislayer:
How is it socially acceptable to speak about "gay" stuff, but not be racist. At least be consistent.

That's a reach.
The primariy definition of "race" is by color of skin. If you want to include being homosexual as a race, you must include any other "sub-group" (such as guys that ride Hondas, or Electricians etc..) By your definition, if you've ever referred to anyone with "Plumber's drawers"-you'd be a racist
Go look it up..
Now, back to the real topic..

The four speed wouldn't bug me since I ride mx, and hardly ever trail ride.
I think you have to look at it from their perspective. You want a sportbike, get an R6. You want a sport tourer, get a YZF-600. The YZF 600 does o.k. in the twisties and even is good for track days, but it isn't a racer. The R6 is great on the track and twisties, but is gonna break your back if you tour it .
The consumer screamed for a lighter more "cutting edge" mx'r, and I think Yamaha came through.

• gonzo

Posted June 14, 2002 - 03:47 AM

I think the 4-speed would be great. Actually right now its the only thing keeping me from buying a Honda. Think about the hole shot on that bike. That much rev and not having to shift 3rd before the first turn while others are will be sweet. The weight loss is really yet to be seen. When you actually ride the bike then you will notice it. My only concern is that they are lying again. They stated that the 400f only weighed 233 dry but my owners manual said 252 wet. I'm sorry a gallon and a half of gas and some oil doesn't weigh almost 20 lbs. My guess is there is about 5 lbs they aren't saying. I highly doubt it weighs 221 dry. I think it looks great.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 14, 2002 - 03:53 AM

I for one am perfectly happy that it is going to be a 4 speed. I race only motocross & rarely find 5th gear & this 450 is now going to be the bike to beat. 221lbs dry....that is what I am stoked about! W/O spending thousands to get the weight down. Now if you choose to spend you will only be lighter. So a new pipe will save another 3lbs & a carbon Fiber airbox, another 2lbs, now we are talking 216lbs with more power, better brakes, a dependable dry sump system(face it guys, this is for dependability) that has a volumn decrease in oil capacity, auto decompression, handlebar mounted hotstart, new tank & plastic! What the hell are you all complaining about ???????? This is going to be SSSSSSSWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!
I can not wait to take delivery of mine.... & I would say it is safe to assume that you cross country, desert racer types can add the 5th gear if you so choose....So I will have 2 2001's YZF/WR's up for sale soon, to add 2 2003's to my stable............& one with e-start!

• mxfreak

Posted June 14, 2002 - 04:18 AM

I don't get it either... Damn... the highest I ever got geared to was 4th. I've never gotten as far as 5th.

Oh well... what do I know... :D

I like EgoAHole's response to the frothing-at-the-mouth thing " :)

Stefan

• dirtdad

Posted June 14, 2002 - 05:16 AM

Hey, why are you ASSUMING the did away with FIFTH gear? Maybe they did away with 1st gear and changed the ratios on 2 and 3 a bit....you people have no idea what exactly this thing is going to run like, for all you know, it may have a top speed the same as it was! [/QB]

I have to agree with this statement. I would assume (yeah I know the saying) that they just didn't cut out fifth gear and probably stretched them out a bit. How many of you can honestly say you regularly use first gear now. Even on the tightest trails I've only used it when riding with my son when he was just learning to ride. I had to do this to stay behind him. And as for comparing this to the 520!? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the YZF pulls longer in each gear than the KTM! I really don't believe top speed on the YZF has been compromised. As for any other PERCEIVED shortcomings; as stated before, just ride the thing before you start complaining!!!!
Oh, and welcome back Ego!

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: dirtdad ]

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 14, 2002 - 05:22 AM

Originally posted by therapture:

Hey, why are you ASSUMING the did away with FIFTH gear? Maybe they did away with 1st gear and changed the ratios on 2 and 3 a bit....you people have no idea what exactly this thing is going to run like, for all you know, it may have a top speed the same as it was!

Therapture, Im gonna have to totally agree with you on this one!! I think that this little bike with the big motor will pull gears longer and harder and their might not be a huge difference noticed, just less shifting!

Im one of those people that believe that the manufacture usually does the right thing with updates. Im really shocked that the YZ model is a 4 speed but I have to believe that Yamaha did it for a reason. Im sure pro's like Dubach and Davis have their .02 on what changes will be made and if it got by their desk then it's probably a good idea. We'll just have to wait and see some write-ups from guys we trust.

I think that you guys that hate the idea of a 4 speed will be really shocked by its performance. For now let's give them the benefit of the doubt. I will for sure be on an 03 Yamaha. WR or YZ? Hmmmmmm

DL :)

• Slymax

Posted June 14, 2002 - 05:27 AM

I never use 1st gear anyway and only ever get to use 5th when trailriding. I predict the new tranny will be just fine. Sounds like a sweet ride. Now I've got to try to put some more hours on the 426 so I can justify the upgrade.

• Christie

Posted June 14, 2002 - 05:29 AM

WR-ratios:
1st:2.417 2nd:1.733 3rd:1.313 4th:1.050 5th:0.840

YZ-ratios:
1st:1.929 2nd:1.563 3rd:1.278 4th:1.050

C.

• yznvegas

Posted June 14, 2002 - 05:34 AM

So based on those #'s the 4th gear is identical between the wr and the yz. again, lame!

Maybe next year Yamaha will figure out a way for us to only run with one wheel and tire. That would save a lot of weight.

If you guys are 100% moto racers, than buy the 03', but if your like me and MOST people, the bike won't work as well as the previous models with the 5-speed gear box.

• dirtdad

Posted June 14, 2002 - 05:34 AM

4th looks to be right at about halfway between previous 4th and 5th.

my gears (2000 YZF): 4th=1.091,5th=0.952

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: dirtdad ]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.