• socalmxer

Posted June 13, 2002 - 06:05 PM

HOW LAME!

• S_Phillips

Posted June 13, 2002 - 06:17 PM

I know. :)

• ahastings

Posted June 13, 2002 - 06:20 PM

Don't forget it is a motocrosser,If you trail ride and need fifth gear get a WR.And if you are using fifth gear on a motocross track,I guess you'll be racing at Budds Creek this Sunday.

• Unibomber

Posted June 13, 2002 - 06:26 PM

Took the smart A** words right out of my mouth Brother Hastings, so true, so true......

• JohnnyMac

Posted June 13, 2002 - 06:27 PM

It is lame. I just got done putting a 6 speed (from 4) in my 520sx. After about 10minutes into my first ride I started getting upset that KTM didn’t put at least a 5speed in it. The new 450 looks really, really nice but the WR might be a better fit for all but the most hardcore Mxer’. Only having 4 also limits how much you can change gearing. Also, I was racing Glen Helen last week on my 520 and had to use 5th on the long start.

• javelinmxer

Posted June 13, 2002 - 06:29 PM

Are there two seperate oils like the Honda?

• S_Phillips

Posted June 13, 2002 - 06:32 PM

No I'll be racing "MX" at Corner this weekend.

SOme tracks are more open down here. I hit 5th on my WR on the straights.

• therapture

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:04 PM

You forget though, with a motor DESIGNED to work with a 4-speed tranny, the gears usually will have larger "gaps" and pull longer in each gear. A very powerful motor will do that for you and be fast as stink on a pissed off skunk!

I think the 4-speed will be trick, and like someone else said, if you need 5 gears, get a different bike...

• yznvegas

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:13 PM

A four speed gear box IS lame. Don't give me that "oh it's a moto bike only". I ride my bike in the desert and dry lake bed too. If I didn't have a 5th gear on my bike my bud on his gay klx300 would be spanking me on the straigts. I think this is Yamaha's chincy way to save a pound or 2.

• Bambislayer

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:16 PM

How is it socially acceptable to speak about "gay" stuff, but not be racist. At least be consistent.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • therapture

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:16 PM

Originally posted by yznvegas:
A four speed gear box IS lame. Don't give me that "oh it's a moto bike only". I ride my bike in the desert and dry lake bed too. If I didn't have a 5th gear on my bike my bud on his gay klx300 would be spanking me on the straigts. I think this is Yamaha's chincy way to save a pound or 2.

Sorry, they can't make a bike for YOU personally, this is a MOTOCROSS bike, if you are racing desert, get a WR/KTM/Cdale....or deal with it.
:) I will welcome a weight loss, and for ME, 4-speeds will do fine pal.

• Hick

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:37 PM

I don’t get it.

What, exactly, is the cost/benefit of NOT having a fifth gear?

Cost: Limits use to motocross only. Period.

Benefit: Saves 8 ounces and five bucks.

&%$#@!??? :D

Just watch, KTM will make the 520 SX a five or six speed (I already read that the MXC/EXC will have the 46mm forks). So I either wait for the WR tranny parts needed to go off road to become available, if that is even possible, or buy the WR and ditch the goofy ergos, lights, snorkels, stops, screws, plugs, wires, switches, canisters, converters, ... I wonder how heavy the WR is???

The WR gear ratios aren’t even posted yet.

One thing is almost certain though, and that is I won’t be buying an ’03 YZ. Darnit. :)

• Hick

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:52 PM

Originally posted by therapture:

Sorry, they can't make a bike for YOU personally, this is a MOTOCROSS bike, if you are racing desert, get a WR/KTM/Cdale....or deal with it.

[flame]

The YZ is a race bike you simpleton. Like Ty Davis (just one example) ever showed up ANYWHERE on a WR. Perhaps you should ring him up and break the news (news to him, anyway) that the YZ is not meant for his type of racing.

[/flame]

[ June 13, 2002: Message edited by: Hick ]

• red_fender

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:53 PM

Save a pound,maybe and limit your customer base. I don't get it.

[ June 13, 2002: Message edited by: red fender ]

• socalmxer

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:59 PM

Heres the deal, most people dont ride only MX. I ride mostly MX about 90% and never get the bike out of fourth gear, but I do occsonally race a GP or an event where I need the spread of five gears. The 426 would do 90mph tapped in fifth. I woul have bought a KTM520 a long time ago if I only wanted a 4 speed.

• b-bike

Posted June 13, 2002 - 08:06 PM

This makes me happy I have my 01-426.

No I'm not a moto-crosser, but, when I "had" the choice between the new 01-WR or 01-YZ .... I knew I whated the YZ.

My riding partner has the WR and we have traded off every so often. This too makes me happy I have the YZ.

Way back in the old 490 YZ days Yamaha did the 4-speed thing. I had one of em' and the extra tall 1st. gear sucked. No 5th gear sucked as well.

However... I will hold out final judgment on the 03 till I throw a leg over one. :)

• Hick

Posted June 13, 2002 - 08:10 PM

Originally posted by socalmxer:
I would have bought a KTM520 a long time ago if I only wanted a 4 speed.

Bingo.

• intothumpin

Posted June 13, 2002 - 08:19 PM

If you are so worried about the 4 speed then here's what you do. Either buy the WR and use it for it's intended purpose or Buy the YZ and while your picking it up from the dealer, order the 5 speed gear set that comes in the WR. I would imagine that it's just a matter of switching out the gears and removing the block or limiter they have on the shift drum. It can't be that difficult. I don't imagine that Ty Davis is running stock YZ gearing on his WORCS bike anyway. So your comparision really doesn't apply. As for an MX bike the 4 speed makes since. Especially with a longer stroke that produces a broader stronger & flatter powerband. We'll have to see.

• Hick

Posted June 13, 2002 - 08:32 PM

Originally posted by intothumpin:
I would imagine that it's just a matter of switching out the gears and removing the block or limiter they have on the shift drum. It can't be that difficult. I don't imagine that Ty Davis is running stock YZ gearing on his WORCS bike anyway.

I’d be surprised to find that Davis has custom ground gear sets in his bike. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that he has used WR-model gear sets on occasion. I think it is a VERY good bet that Ty’s WORCS bikes (his 250 and 426) have stock gear sets. He may well run a WR fifth in his H&H 426...

But the point is that REMOVING fifth gear doesn’t really benefit ANYBODY. Sure, I’m capable, and willing, to bring my brand new bike home and disassemble the thing to add ONE gear...

If you can notice the 8, 10, 12 or whatever ounces that are saved, or can’t compensate for that elsewhere, then I’ll concede the point.

• DaveJ

Posted June 13, 2002 - 08:46 PM

Perhaps it's possible that you may be able to drop that 5th gear in.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.