Timing plug- oil?

2 replies to this topic
  • PapaSmurf

Posted May 29, 2001 - 11:40 AM

I hope that this is not a COMPLETELY stupid question but here goes! :) I rolled my '00 Wr out of the garage the other day to clean the place out and about 30 minutes later looked its way and noticed a puddle under it. Come to discover that the timing plug was loose and there was oil running out. It was leaned over on the kickstand and also on a bit of a slope. I tightened the plug and everything seems ok. My question is should there be oil in this area? The reason I ask is because I know that the rotor and stator are in there! I couldn't tell much from the drawings in the manual except to notice that the timing chain is in there too, which must be oiled. I hope that this is not a problem. Thanks for any input. By the way, this is my first thumper - not use to valves and cams and such! :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 29, 2001 - 02:11 PM

Yep, that's normal.

• PapaSmurf

Posted May 30, 2001 - 05:12 AM

Thank God!! The more I thought about it the more I figured there has to be oil in that side, but I looked in the manual at the CDI magneto removal procedure and it doesn't say anything about draining the oil before pulling off the cover. I would also think that oil would splash everywhere when actually checking timing too! I'll tell ya, I learn something new about this bike everyday! :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.