What gas tank to buy

19 replies to this topic
  • the426master

Posted May 30, 2004 - 06:56 AM

I'm looking for a gas tank that is flat on top and somewhat level to the top of the seat What brand should I get clark has one simular to what I want :awww:
My gas tank cracked between the threads :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

• FTD

Posted May 30, 2004 - 07:05 AM

Get the Zipty tank. It is lower than the others setting the gas weight lower. You have to get a remote hot start though.
Here's mine...
Posted Image
copy and paste onto microsoft word if you see a red x... damn imagestation!!
Hoss

• tp3dxf

Posted May 30, 2004 - 07:17 AM

If you want the lowest sitting tank get the Zip Ty. I have a Clarke and It sits pretty high. It's a cheaper conversion but not the lowest sitting tank.

• the426master

Posted May 30, 2004 - 08:23 AM

how does the clark fit I have heard clarks doen't fit perfect

• tp3dxf

Posted May 31, 2004 - 06:50 PM

I have had two Clarke tanks for my WR. One black one natural. Both fit great. No complaints here.

• Robert_Brazil

Posted June 01, 2004 - 12:09 AM

Does the 426 tank fit (or can be adapted easily?) to the 450 frame. Anyone?

• Robert_Brazil

Posted June 01, 2004 - 12:10 AM

I am looking to buy one of these for my 450 does it fit? or just for the 450?

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 01, 2004 - 02:33 AM

Look at the GYTR 3.4 Gallon dual petcock tank available in blue and drains completely. Zip Ty and others leave gas in the tank when you run out. :thumbsup:

• aremean_troy

Posted June 01, 2004 - 12:14 PM

I am looking to buy one of these for my 450 does it fit? or just for the 450?

the 426 tank and the 450 tank are totally different... mebbe you can buy an oversized tank for your 450 instead... I know clarkemfg.com sells them.

once again, get the 450 tank if you ride a 450. :thumbsup:

• ddialogue

Posted June 01, 2004 - 04:01 PM

...dual petcock tank available in blue and drains completely. Zip Ty and others leave gas in the tank when you run out.

I cry everytime you mention that... :awww: :thumbsup: :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YAMAKAZE

Posted June 02, 2004 - 01:38 PM

Zip Ty and others leave gas in the tank when you run out.

NOT TRUE........ My Zip-TY tank drains completely from Both petcocks..... I found out the hard way when I opend both and went for a very long ride. I pushed my lead sled 5 miles back to the asphalt !

Posted Image

From now on I leave the right side closed at all times so I can get back.

Posted Image

Bonzai :thumbsup:

• ddialogue

Posted June 02, 2004 - 02:34 PM

Yamakaze,

The IMS/ZipTy tanks hang lower on the 450's. The left side hangs down about two inches below the inlet on the carb and leaves about that much gas in it. ZipTy states the tanks will hold 3.3 gallons (which they do) but only 3.1 gallons is useable (which is what IMS claims.) I ran it dry in the garage and sure enough...nearly two inches of fuel left over in the tank. That might change if the bike is running and bouncing back and forth but...

Anyway, check out this photo of the ZipTy tank on my WR450. :thumbsup:

ZipTy tank

• YAMAKAZE

Posted June 02, 2004 - 02:52 PM

I see both petcocks appear to be on the L/S of the tank.... I definately like the style of the tank compared to mine, someone would have had to had their head up their......well you know....If they thought you could gravity feed from the other side...

I see your point....

A picture is worth a thosand words for sure...

Thanks,

Bonzai :thumbsup:

• ddialogue

Posted June 02, 2004 - 04:20 PM

It kinda sucks that it hangs that low. The whole tank has a fit and finish problem, IMO. As you can see in the photos, the kick starter mold doesn't even line up. Very strange. Fortunately, this tank DOES completely drain on the right side first. :thumbsup:

• tp3dxf

Posted June 02, 2004 - 08:53 PM

I think the Clarke is the easiest to install. The IMS is a nice setup but I have seen two of them crack. Gas dripping on the mid pipe is not a good thing. The Zip Ty tank looks good but having to route two gas lines to the carb is kind of a pain in the ass.

I went with the Clarke not only because it's $50-$75 cheaper but because the routing of the fuel was easy.

I guess if you press the tanks hard the dual petcock design is the way to go.

I don't push my mileage that hard. For me it would be more of a pain in the butt then it's worth.

• tp3dxf

Posted June 02, 2004 - 08:58 PM

Why try to fit a 426 tank to a 450? I understand that the 450 has a smaller tank. I suggest looking into aftermarket tanks if the smaller 450 tank is not enough.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted June 09, 2004 - 07:58 AM

I had an IMS tank and didn't even mount it up, just sent it back after seeing the petcock right above the exhaust header.

MY question is: Does anyone of you use the GYT R or Acerbis tank and do you have to use both the YZ shrouds and seat,
or just the shrouds?????????
I am inclined towards the GYT R tank because I understand there is only one petcock which drains the tank completely, plus it is the biggest tank in the USA. :thumbsup: :awww:
Jim

• holeshot426

Posted June 09, 2004 - 11:11 AM

Ive got the Acerbis tank 3.4 gal with dual petcocks. I run a Eline CF header guard so the right petcock rests on the CF. I did have to run the YZ seat (which is what I wanted) and I already had YZ shrouds. Great tank, no problems, good fit and I have the billet alum. gas fill mouth so I can swap for dry-break if needed.

• RichBaker

Posted June 09, 2004 - 02:03 PM

Got a GYT-R tank and had to get the YZ shrouds, but the tank has the capability to use either seat, YZ or WR. I like mine....it does have 2 petcocks.

MY question is: Does anyone of you use the GYT R or Acerbis tank and do you have to use both the YZ shrouds and seat,
or just the shrouds?????????
I am inclined towards the GYT R tank because I understand there is only one petcock which drains the tank completely, plus it is the biggest tank in the USA. :awww: :thumbsup:
Jim

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 09, 2004 - 03:33 PM

You are going to love the GYT-R tank and it does work with the WR seat like you say. But take the time to remove the top cap flange and silicone the O-ring seal and the entire surface under the flange. My O-ring swelled and popped down into the tank. I had to cut it and crazy glue it back to length and then made a pemanent seal. :thumbsup: The tank is awesome. :awww: I abuse everything and ride nearly every weekend. This tank has been wonderful. :lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.