whos got the master link install secret?

27 replies to this topic
  • id250f

Posted May 30, 2004 - 04:27 AM

doing the annual chain / sprocket change ... i swear it takes me half a day to get that bloody clip on the master link.

I'm sure there are some gurus our there with some tips on making this install easier. What's the secret, and I'll email you a beer. :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted May 30, 2004 - 05:17 AM

i use channel lock pliers,first make sure the link is together enough so that you can feel the groove that the clip rides in with your fingernail(do this by squeezing across at each pin) then put the clip in position making sure the grooves are there then put the channel locks with the bottom jaw on the back of the link and top jaw on the round side of the clip and squeeze it on. if both top and bottom don't go together you can usually manipulate the errant one in with a screwdriver. voila , bud please!

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 30, 2004 - 05:43 AM

My method is similar. The trick is make sure the side plate is one far enough. If you have a sealed chain (o-ring, x-ring, etc..) then this is especially true. You can put two small nuts over the rivets and squeeze the plate and nuts with pliars, this will push the plate on. They also sell special tools for installing the links on sealed chains. Once the plate is one far enough, put he clip in place and with a good pair of needle nose pliars, put one end of the pliars on the round end of the clip, and the other end either on the opposite rivet or the opposite side plate edge and give it a squeeze. If you're careful it will go on nice and easy. If you accidentally bend the clip, get another one!

• YZFan

Posted May 30, 2004 - 06:40 AM

These are the best thing ever for chains. You can get them from your local Snap on dealer.
Posted Image

• falshh

Posted May 30, 2004 - 09:15 AM

THe key is on a oring type chain to get the side link on all the way before trying to get the clip on.I know on my D.I.D o-ring chain I had to press the side link in with a c-clamp and once you get that on far enough the clip is really easy.I use needle nose plyers or I can evan just push on the end hard till it snaps in.

• id250f

Posted May 30, 2004 - 10:48 AM

Thank you gentlemen ... The two nuts on either side (i'm running the x-ring chain) and channel locks to squish together worked excellently ... and then some heavy duty needle nose pliers with a little lip on each end to grip the link slid the clip on quite easily.

Thumpertalk strikes again!:thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image

• RAMARION

Posted May 30, 2004 - 03:19 PM

IDA

I cheat when it comes to this.........the o'ring chains are a pain in the rear.......... when I install an o-ring chain, i just use a standard non-o-ring masterlink, 2 seconds later, viola its complete :thumbsup:

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 30, 2004 - 03:51 PM

IDA

I cheat when it comes to this.........the o'ring chains are a pain in the rear.......... when I install an o-ring chain, i just use a standard non-o-ring masterlink, 2 seconds later, viola its complete :thumbsup:

And you have one link that wears completely differently than the others, and even possibly doesn't fit exactly right?

• OC768

Posted May 30, 2004 - 07:46 PM

IDA

and if you don't have enough oil for a whole change do you just throw in some cat food or whatever is nearby?

Thats just a little freaky...chains are only as strong as their weakest link. I would think introducing an odd duck in the array of consistently moving parts would cause some erratic behaiviour/wear :awww:

• gonzo

Posted June 01, 2004 - 03:50 AM

I always use needle nose pliers and hold the back end of the clip and the far end of the link and push. Usually get it on the first try.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted June 01, 2004 - 07:59 AM

You mean SHINER makes all the way up to Idaho? Hell I thought we drank it all before it could be shipped! :thumbsup: :awww:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted June 01, 2004 - 09:31 AM

ID - I hear ya. Been there - done that many times...

What I have found that works best is a vice grip brand tool. The one with a C-Clamp on the end. (Price of the vice grip brand tool is about $14.00) I think the real application for this is welding and body work. It does the job like you wouldn't believe. I have also found it easier (Due to clearance with the rear wheel) that it is easier to pinch the master link together with the chain off the rear sprocket then put in back on the sprocket and tap the master clip on with a screw driver and a hammer. Make sure the opening on the master clip is opposite of rear wheel rotation.

Putting on a new chain used to take me a couple of hours of struggling - now it is about 5-10 minutes.

I hate to say it but I would never use a standard non-O-ring master link/clip on an O-Ring chain. This is asking for trouble. Just my 9 cents....

Hope this helps,

RCD :thumbsup:

• MaxAZ

Posted June 01, 2004 - 10:53 AM

Before you put it on, don't forget to make sure you're putting it on in the right direction. Most people don't even think about it but any race mechanic will tell you to put the closed end of the clip facing in the direction of the chains rotation. If the open end of the clip is exposed during rotation there are things it can catch on just right while spinning and flopping around that can pop it off just the same as if you took a screwdriver and purposely pushed it off. :thumbsup:

• bushy

Posted June 01, 2004 - 12:49 PM

Does anyone use a small flathead screwdriver to get it on / off? I can get it off in under a minute and on in under a minute...

• Jackbatty

Posted July 03, 2004 - 06:20 PM

Ya'll you're making it too damn hard. For oring chains, put two of the orings between flat metal in a vise for a day. Slide two other orings on the master, slide it though, put your other orings on, and then use a screwdriver to pop the keeper on. Takes about 2 minutes tops if you leave the orings in the vise.

• MotoChris521

Posted July 04, 2004 - 02:41 AM

"Takes about 2 minutes if you leave the orings in the vise"

&%$#@! ?

• YZFan

Posted July 04, 2004 - 04:15 AM

&%$#@! ?

:thumbsup: :devil: :awww: :D :lol:
I was thinking the same thing???? :lol:

• TheEnvelope

Posted July 04, 2004 - 08:48 AM

Stop fighting it with nuts, pliers, channel locks, a vise(?) and buy a chain tool for 25 bucks. Money well spent.

• RJB

Posted July 05, 2004 - 05:27 AM

...and what chain tool would this be and where can I get said device?

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 05, 2004 - 06:15 AM

Here is my Secret

Put chain on

Take ends of chain set them at a 10 O'Clock (Don't matter if PM or AM) on the rear sprocket

Take Mater link and slide pin portion starting from the back side (Closest to the spokes) into Pin holes of Both Ends of Chain

Take Master Link Pin Plate (While firmly holding with Right Index Finger) in place

Using left hand to place plate directly onto Master Link Pins

Squeeze Firmly until flat with chain
(Note May need to use Needle nose Vise grips)

Take Master link clip slide on to pins, using pair of needle nose pliers to securely clip into place.

Special Note
Make sure open end is always facing away from Chain rotation....

:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.