BIGTONY's back on the road (seized bushing)

2 replies to this topic
  • BIGTONY

Posted May 29, 2004 - 07:36 PM

I finished the repairs today. It took 9 tons of pressure to press the seized bushing out of the clutch basket. I purchased sanding wheels for my dremel in two diferent grits, and a metal polishing kit also. I used the sanding wheels to remove the damage on the inside of the clutch basket. I then used the metal polishing wheels to completely polish the inside cicumfrence of the basket contact area. I drilled 2 additional holes in the new bushing, sanded it inside and out then polished it. The sanding and polishing gave me more clearence between the parts as a bonus. The new bushing was practacly binding when I put it in the basket such a tight fit, now the baskets shiny as a mirror and the bushing drops right in no friction. I put hondas moly lube on these parts when reassembling. I managed to break one of the threaded post off the center clutch by using the holder tool wrong. Luckely I was able to threaed a bolt from the rear into the post to hold it in place. I had to grind off the head of the bolt because otherwise it would make contact with the basket. 25 cent fix saved me $80 for a new clutch center(plus 4 days wait). I checked the screen and the screen nut, changed the filter slapped the cases on, filled with synthetic and Im back in business :lol: :thumbsup: Its been along time coming but satisfying to know I did it myself after never owning a bike before. I just have to put the rear brake lever bake on then I'll take it on the highway.
:lol: :awww:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • needsprayer

Posted May 29, 2004 - 07:56 PM

BigTony,

Sounds like you have learned alot about your L. What type of metal and hardening was the bolt you used? Did you red loctite the threads?

Hope all goes well for you on your first ride.

• BIGTONY

Posted May 30, 2004 - 07:14 AM

I used the short bolt that holds the clutch cable bracket to the starter motor, dont know the strength, but at least it came from the bike itself. I had to buy a screw and washer to replace one of the pressure plate screws. Being that I had to thread one from the back the original bolt was too long. I got it from home depot it said high strength zinc plated. I didnt lock tite anything( i didnt see evedince of locktite on any bolts I removed )

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.