Gapless rings anyone?

15 replies to this topic
  • Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted June 12, 2002 - 06:20 PM

I was wondering if anyone here tried the totalseal gapless irngs on their 426? Ive had great succes using htem on my 2 strokes with power increases of 5-8% (3-5HP) all across the rev range on back-to-back dynomometer tests. they seem to increase bottom end, and bottom to mid transition DRAMATICLY! and they also helped when revving real hard and on hard charges when torqueing through gears uphill. anyone used these rings ont heir 4 stroke? I just wanted to see before i baught a set of them from totalseal for my 426f!

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 13, 2002 - 02:25 AM

Gapless rings? :)

[ June 13, 2002: Message edited by: sirthumpalot ]

• PumpkinHumper

Posted June 13, 2002 - 02:44 AM

Ive heard of them for cars but I diddn't know they made them for bikes. I guess it makes sense. they are both 4-strokes.

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted June 13, 2002 - 06:46 AM

they will make em for anythign you want, as long as u put down the cash

• moto_madman

Posted June 13, 2002 - 06:49 AM

how much? Where do you get them? Reliability?

• Shawn_Mc

Posted June 13, 2002 - 07:06 AM

I had an eleven second bug (full bodied car) and I used them on that motor. They work well. The gapless ring goes in the second postion on the fourstroke motors. I dont thing youll get as dramatic results on a fourstroke motor as you will on a two stroke, but they do cut your leak down. Ive seen total seal motors with leak down numbers as low as 1%. For those of you that dont know what the heck Im talking about, a really good leak down would be 3%. 1% is a dream come true, especially if you can get it without oiling up the cylinder.

• holeshot

Posted June 13, 2002 - 09:10 PM

Shawn:

What do the % leakdown figures mean?

I'm guessing it means that a pressure gauge drops a percentage of the original value over a period of time - as in "the pressure dropped from 200 psi to 198 psi over a period of 1 minute, so the leakage rate was 1%".

Am I on the right track, or am I lost in the boonies? :)

[ June 13, 2002: Message edited by: holeshot ]

• Shawn_Mc

Posted June 13, 2002 - 12:33 PM

Holeshot your exactly correct.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted June 13, 2002 - 05:57 PM

my 2002 yz250 had under 1% leakdown after i got done with it. reliability was untouchable, and power increase was unbeleivable. i agree that it probobly wontmake as dramatic an increase on the 4 stroke tho, but its worth it if im tearing downt he motor anyways. the rings will cotst around 200-300$ to have made. but they last a season, thats awesome

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 14, 2002 - 03:06 AM

holeshot you've almost got it. The leakdown testers that I have seen require a compressed air source. You feed air into the cylinder at a known pressure and measure the volume of air required to maintain that pressure (or was it you feed a known volume at a known pressure and the pressure difference tells you how much is leaking?). Anyway, this is the rough idea, it requires a compressed air source. This is how the testers that I have seen work, maybe we're talking about different tools?

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: sirthumpalot ]

• Fireballsocal

Posted June 14, 2002 - 07:51 AM

I wanna know how you get em on the piston?

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 14, 2002 - 08:47 AM

me too!

• J.Hall

Posted June 14, 2002 - 09:59 PM

They are not solid, so you put them on the same way, the cut in the ring is not straight thru, but stepped so they leave no gap.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted June 14, 2002 - 10:12 AM

The ring is a sprial. It has ends but it over laps. At least thats the way the rings in my bug motor were. I havent seen a total seal ring in years, but they didnt have a end-gap as such.

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted June 16, 2002 - 06:49 PM

shawn and j. hall are exactly correct. newer totalseals even use double overlaps for rings, think of it this way. where the ring is split, it has a female and male end, kinda like that. www.totalseal.com

• Shawn_Mc

Posted June 17, 2002 - 02:00 PM

The ring set on my bug used a moly top and the two piece 2nd and a low tension oil ring. That car hauled butt. The Totalseal rings work well.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.