XR650 electric starter questions

6 replies to this topic
  • mbeck76

Posted May 28, 2004 - 07:09 AM

Does anyone have any info on these electric starter kits for the XR650. I have looked them up from the Joe Racer site but have not talked with anyone who actually has one. Do they really work?? Is the installation as easy as they say it is? How durable and reliable is it. I love my 650 and an electric start would make it that much better. Before I fork out the cash for one I would like to get any info from someone who has one.

Thanks
Mike

• Old_Man_Time

Posted May 28, 2004 - 11:13 AM

I have one from Baja Designs. I had read bad reviews from a couple of folks who dealt with Joe Racer so I decided not to go with his. His kit has been around for a while now. Baja Designs is who I purchased my kit from. They were developing it for about 2 years that I know of. They also back their products. The kit from Baja designs is cheaper by about $300.00.
Posted Image

Im kinda the guinea pig for this but I can tell you this. The parts they mailed me are well made. I had to send a couple of my bike parts back to them for customizing for the install. I will have the whole thing up and running in about 2 weeks maybe 1 1/2 weeks. You don't have to mail parts back to them cause you could get it done locally but I decided since they developed the kit anything they do will definately be done right. I sent them my flywheel so they could press the ring gear from the kit onto it. It must be very precise or it won't work. I also decided to have them upgrade my stator to 250 watts dual output. This will give it the ability to keep my battery charged no matter what else I'm running on the system.

I then will give a review with pictures of the whole project. Sit back and let me take the first hit on this. It won't cost you a thing. :awww: :thumbsup:

• qadsan

Posted May 28, 2004 - 01:06 PM

I've read some good things about the Joe Racer XR400 kit, but I too have read some bad things about the Joe Racer XR650R product & experiences dealing with them. I know the BD kit may not look as attractive in terms of appearance, but its much less expensive, appears to be to be a simpler design and the components appear to be quite robust and their kit integrates nicely with the their dual sport package from what I understand.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted May 28, 2004 - 03:13 PM

I know the BD kit may not look as attractive in terms of appearance, but its much less expensive, appears to be to be a simpler design and the components appear to be quite robust and their kit integrates nicely with the their dual sport package from what I understand.

qadsan, it is true that the kit intergrates with their dual sport kit. The installation manual contains specific set up procedure if you have the Baja Designs dual sport kit installed. :thumbsup:

• heliosstudios

Posted May 28, 2004 - 07:20 PM

As far as pressing the ring onto the flywheel, may I share some random thoughts. I'm not sure this would work so this is just speculation... Provided the flywheel is not affected by sub-zero temps, place it in a ziplock baggie and then in the freezer overnight (or better yet an ice/salt bath -20°F, or best a dry ice bath, -70°F). This will shrink the diameter by a fair margin. Then heat the ring slightly to make it expand. It might then slip on with little resistance. If it works, you'll only have one shot in a few seconds to get it right. Best to make an alignment jig ahead of time! I've never done this so it may not work, but in theory it should. I recall seeing where certain sleeves and bearings are assembled this way instead of hydraulic pressing.

One last word, don't heat anything magnetic. Heat undoes magnetism. Cheers! :thumbsup:

• JetPilot

Posted May 29, 2004 - 02:39 AM

The hot and cold thing sounds even better than what I was thinking. But if it doenst work, how about a wide board like a 2X6 that would cover all the teeth and hammer the thing on ? Seems with a board covering the teech, and hammering the center of it would press it right on there.

• mbeck76

Posted May 31, 2004 - 07:37 PM

thanks for the info I look forward to seeing more pics of the finished product

thanks Mbeck76

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.