Auxiliary Fuel Ideas?

32 replies to this topic
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted May 30, 2001 - 12:02 PM

The obvious solution, sorry Khris, is to buy the IMS/Clarke/Acerbis tank. Solves the problem once & for all.
If the bigger tank isn't a possibility - then do what my friends w/2smokes do in Baja. They carry 2 1 gallon plastic gas cans in/on their backpacks or attached to their fanny packs.

Of course if I was able to join in on the fun I'd be more than happy to ride my wife's XR250R with the 4 gallon tank - talk about range :) Just ask the guys that went to Moab.

Brian

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 30, 2001 - 03:47 PM

Brian, I got the impression that riding XR's in this crowd was blasphemy. How did you get away with it?

• PMAUST

Posted May 30, 2001 - 07:18 PM

Well this discussion has caused a flurry of phone calls to SoCal. One of my boys rides a YZ400 and the other a KDX250. Got the creative juices flowing anyway. :) My other son will be riding my old TT350 which can go from here to the moon and back on a tank! Maybe this will turn out to be the tortis and hare thing? :D

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 31, 2001 - 05:02 AM

Khris, You are more that welcome to borrow my 4 gallon IMS for your ride... I won't need it for a couple of weeks. :)

Dan

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 31, 2001 - 07:13 AM

Dan,

It sounds to me that you have the best solution to my problem. You aren't going to be able to make it on the ride? Let me check with my work and make sure I can get the day off before I say I'll borrow your tank but that sounds like an awesome offer. :) One qustion I do have is about the tank. I ride a 99' YZ400 with the YZ tank and Seat which is the cause of this conversation. Will the tank work with the YZ seat? I will be investing in a tank eventually but I doubt it will be before the July 13th trip. Let me know and thanks again for the offer Dan. :D

We need to get a weekend trip planned for the SoCal ThumperTalkers. I'm planning on trying to head up a weekend trip out to Ocotillo Wells once the temperature comes back down to ridable conditions later on this year.

------------------
Khris
When in doubt, GAS IT!
What are you, YELLOW?

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted May 31, 2001 - 08:09 AM

Dan,
Since I drove ~950 miles from SF to Moab I took two bikes - my WR & my wife's XR. I wadded up the left side radiator on my WR the first day within the first 2 miles - truly a stupid, not paying attention mistake. I broke out the XR and proceeded to drop it on the 2nd day & crack the right side engine cover. Not an inexpensive trip but worth every penny :)

It's probably a good thing I didn't take my KX500 - probably would have broke it too....

Brian

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 31, 2001 - 08:52 AM

Brian,

Did you have the helmet on backwards for that trip? :) :D

------------------
Khris
When in doubt, GAS IT!
What are you, YELLOW?

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted May 31, 2001 - 10:02 AM

I'm not sure what I did to piss of the gods of dirtbiking..... Whatever was I hope I never do it again :)

The new WR rad was ~$250, a used side cover for the XR was only $60. Could have been worse.

Brian

• GRC

Posted May 31, 2001 - 10:54 AM

I have a 4 gallon IMS pro series tank for sale, it is natural color, and has never had any decals applied. It is not discolored and in good shape. If you are interested e-mail me.

[This message has been edited by GRC (edited 05-31-2001).]

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted May 31, 2001 - 08:26 PM

GRC,
Is the 4 gal tank for the YZ or WR? I'm interested either way if it's a true 4 gals.

Brian

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 01, 2001 - 03:07 PM

Khris, The 4.0 gallon I have works with the WR stock seat while the 3.3 IMS works with the YZ seat.

Dan

• GRC

Posted June 02, 2001 - 08:34 AM

The tank came off of my 2000 WR400. You can find it in the Dennis Kirk Catalog on page 115 it is part # 18-0899. It will hold just a tad over 4 gallons if you fill it completely to the top. The fuel petcock is on the factory side not on the pipe side.

Brian,
Are you the guy that came up to Reno on the DRN Valentine's day ride? If so I'm Stricks friend that came up and introduced myself. The tank was on my bike then.

George

[This message has been edited by GRC (edited 06-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by GRC (edited 06-02-2001).]

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted June 04, 2001 - 02:25 PM

GRC,
That was me - good memory. Send me an email with what your asking for the tank.

Did you sell the WR?

Brian

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.