ACL update...with pics

3 replies to this topic
  • Wyatt

Posted May 28, 2004 - 04:10 AM

I am 5 weeks out on my ACL reconstruction. I am walking with the post surgery brace and I have about a week and hlaf more to go with it. It is amazing how far they have come with this procedure. I have a friend that had the surgery dome in the '80s and he has two very large scars. Another had it done just a few years ago and he has the large scar from the patellar graft. I have 8 holes in my kneee and one scar about 1.5 " below my knee towards the inside of my leg.

I am working to get my range of motion back, and I go to therapy 2-3 times per week. It is crazy how your muscles just go dumb as soon as you get cut on. I have lost a lot of muscle in my leg. My knee gets better everyday, but it is not happening fast enough for me. I spend a lot of time at home on the exercise bike to supplement my therapy.

My knee is still swollen and probably will be for quite some time. It gets stiff when it sits still for too long and gets aggravated when I work it too hard. I am still a very long way away from riding. That's the depressing part.

Here are some pics from the surgery:

This is a picture of my torn ACL. It is laying on its side and instead of being connected at the top. The metal object is a probe.
Posted Image

Here is a picture of my knee with the old ACL removed and ready for reconstruction.
Posted Image

Here are a couple pics of the reconstructed ACL. It is made from hamstring tendon that is doubled up for strength. You can notice how it is made from several strands of tendon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Satch0922

Posted May 28, 2004 - 05:13 AM

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TexasDirtNap

Posted May 28, 2004 - 04:36 PM

that'll wake ya up in the mornin. Hope your healing goes quickly.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 28, 2004 - 08:01 PM

Good luck with the healing process Johnny! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.