Front End Rattle

8 replies to this topic
  • YZeezee

Posted June 12, 2002 - 10:00 AM

98 YZ400, Sounds like some sort of rattling in the front end (at least it sounds like the front end). Nothing too major but sounds like perhaps loose brake, or spokes, but can't find anything once I park it and start looking. Is it possible the clutch is making some kind of rattling noise? I know it's a vague message, but if you have any ideas, that would be great. MAybe this will help, the noise sort of goes clink, clink, rattle, clink, rattle, rattle, ping, rattle...

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted June 12, 2002 - 10:11 AM

yeah dude, my old 97 yz250 had the same rattling noise, very faint. it was the clutch. to find out if thats your problem as well, go very fast in a straight line, put the bike in neutral, and shut off the engine, then coast and if the noise stops, its def. inside your engine, and as long as everything is fine, u can be PRETTY sure its clutch plate rattle. this can be double checked by removing your clutch plates and measuring them, and if needed, replace them.

• YZeezee

Posted June 12, 2002 - 10:16 AM

Thanks Gorilla, be careful how much info you tell me about, my next post on here will be asking for help tearing into my clutch... :)

• skthom2320

Posted June 12, 2002 - 10:23 AM

Umm. I had a rattling in the front that was bugging me. It turned out to be the clutch lever just banging around a little.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • edareus

Posted June 12, 2002 - 10:54 AM

I would look at the clutch too. If that isn't it, I had a rattle in the front end everytime the forks unloaded. The rod inside the fork that the cap screws to was loose. Just a thought.

• Boit

Posted June 12, 2002 - 08:50 PM

Put your bike on a stand with the front wheel raised off the ground and tap on the front edge of the tire with a rubber mallet and listen for that rattle before your start tearing into things. That lever might have excessive play at the perch(as mentioned above) or the brake cable might be slapping against the number plate, or the number plate itself may be vibrating against the top triple clamp, or etc.... You get the picture. Look for the simple things first.

• BigDesto

Posted June 13, 2002 - 12:51 PM

I have recently felt and heard something clicking
at the front end. I can see the floating disc moving back and forth alittle bit,but it almost feels like something came apart in my forks, like the dampening rod thats bolted from the bottom? I am thinking of having them revalved anyway,so when they take them apart,i will find out if something came apart. Right now i just think that it's the disc. :)

• criss

Posted June 13, 2002 - 11:15 PM

Had a rattling sound from my front end recently, turned out to be the brake pads rattling in the caliper- nothing too serious,try new pads and retainer spring/plate.

• YZeezee

Posted June 14, 2002 - 04:25 AM

Cool, thanks a lot. I'll give the simple ones a shot first then get after the clutch or other parts after that.
Thanks again.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.