YZ 426 Front Sprocket Change

5 replies to this topic
  • PLrider

Posted May 27, 2004 - 11:18 AM

Is it a big deal to loosen the counter shaft nut on your own in order to change the front sprocket? I like to make the gears a little taller when I ride Baja and the desert but then put the stock sprocket back on for the track. My mechanic said you have to have a powerful pneumatic socket wrench to do it properly and to not use an impact wrench. I'd like to save the $35 each time I switch out the sprocket though so it'd be nice to do this on my own with a breaker bar and torque wrench. Possible?

Thx :thumbsup:

• Yamahopper

Posted May 27, 2004 - 02:09 PM

A pneumatic socket wrench IS an impact wrench. The other type is a pneumatic ratchet that is purposely not a high torque device. Tell your mechanic that he is on crack. :thumbsup:

It is easy to do though. You can loosen the bolt with the a torque wrench. Just follow the instructions in the owners manual for the torque specs when tightening :awww:

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 27, 2004 - 03:03 PM

The sprocket nut doesn't really go that tight by spec, it's just tough to hold it still. But not that hard; get your buddy or your wife, etc.. to stand on the rear brake pedal while you loosen/tighten the nut. The little washer that you have to flatten out will give you more trouble than the nut. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PLrider

Posted June 01, 2004 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for the info guys. By pneumatic, my mechanic meant that I shouldn't try using the impact wrench that you hit with a hammer. Only use the high pressure air driven tools for this job.
What's going to happen with the washer I have to flatten out? Any tricks to use on this step?
Thanks again!

• yamaha.dude

Posted June 01, 2004 - 07:18 PM

You can loosen the bolt with the a torque wrench.

Please don't use torque wrenches as breaker bars for undoing nuts... it really doesn't help their long-term accuracy and reliability :thumbsup:

David

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted June 08, 2004 - 11:54 AM

I put the trans in 1st gear and use a 1/2 inch impact wrench. as long as you hold the socket with your hand and twiast it in the counterclockwise direction while you loosen and vice versa while you tighten, the impact wrench will not gain enough momentum to cause any damage to the transmission, but it will get your job done easily. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.