03 clutch, hinson or stock?

7 replies to this topic
  • crazyadam

Posted May 27, 2004 - 05:31 AM

The Squid that I bought my 03 yz 450 from thought he was a mechanic, but he is just a simple minded moron!

I need a new clutch basket. The oil pump drive gear (secondary, between the clutch and oil pump) did not have the spacer? or was the wrong gear.... there was about 1\8th of an inch between the gear and the shaft...
so the gear was bouncing around , and wore half of each rivet off the back of the clutch basket!
new drive gear... $25, shaft $7, ... Basket $220, Or Hinson...
So what do you think I should do?

• RCannon

Posted May 27, 2004 - 06:34 AM

I have been using a Hinson for over two years and have been impressed with it.

During the install I had a few questions and some slight problems. I ended up calling the company. I was instantly transfered to Brian Hinson. Talk about someone who knows clutches...This guy was amazing. After dealing with him I would not bother calling anyone else.

• Doug_Caldwell

Posted May 27, 2004 - 06:58 AM

The cost was about the same (stock - Hinson) for me. So I put in the Hinson. I have had that set-up before and it was good. This has been no exception. It works great.

• TimFurryBalls

Posted May 27, 2004 - 09:52 AM

Call Rocky Mountain ATV for a Hinson basket. Cheapest around. Only about $190 for the basket plus rubber cushions. Make sure the model you order has those cushions or you'll have to order them separate.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • id250f

Posted May 27, 2004 - 07:44 PM

i've got the full hinson ... it's like butter ... night and day over the stock '03

• grayracer513

Posted May 27, 2004 - 08:26 PM

The stock '03 clutch has been dinged repeatedly for chattering, heavy feel, and generally unsmooth operation. I didn't get to ride very many YZ450s before I bought mine, so I can't speak to that. On the other hand, mine came with a Hinson. It's absolutely perfect.

• Matt96xr6

Posted May 28, 2004 - 04:33 AM

The stocker is a pot metal cheap junker!

The Hinson is a really nice unit. Much more better! You will also not get any shavings in the oil from the basket wearing. kind of nice to drain the oil and NOT see any shavings for once!

• crazyadam

Posted May 28, 2004 - 05:15 AM

:thumbsup:
Thanks guys!
I bought the Hinson basket, and I'll clean up the inner hub. a new set of plates and I'll be riding!
have a great weekend!
AND go riding!!!
thanks again
Adam

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.