LED tail lamp bulb

17 replies to this topic
  • toyota_mdt_tech

Posted May 26, 2004 - 07:18 PM

OK, did the stop lamp conversion on my WR426 tonight, installed one of those pressure switches (10X1.25) and installed an LED 1157 bulb, uses no energy and doenst rob from the lighting at all. I assume the LED bulb will be much more durable too! Anyway, getting more street legal all the time. Also added a trail tech computer for my speedo, now I only need a horn and DOT tires. But not going to do the DOT tires! I draw the line there.

• ddialogue

Posted May 27, 2004 - 03:19 AM

Yeah, you gotta love LED tail lamps! The stock bulb draws something like, 10 watts and the LED draws only 1 or 2. I swapped mine our for an LED over a year ago and it's still going strong!

Why no DOT tires? There are some VERY aggressive DOT tires out there that you wouldn't even guess were DOT approved unless you looked at the sidewalls. We're not talking road slicks... :thumbsup:

• SXP

Posted May 27, 2004 - 08:50 AM

Where do you buy these LED bulbs?

• redrider77

Posted May 27, 2004 - 09:19 AM

Autozone, Napa, Advance, etc.

• BrandonW

Posted May 27, 2004 - 11:11 AM

Been running the LED light also for some time now. Very brite, low draw!

And I run DOT tires, yet I give up NOTHING off-road! Tera-Flex in the back, and Michelin Baja or Pirelli MT-18 in the front.

I draw the line with the plastic tank. :thumbsup:

There is NO WAY I can ever meet that requirement.

• mtrablue

Posted May 27, 2004 - 04:27 PM

the only LED 1157 bulbs i've been able to find are red ones. red bulb, red lense. it doesn't seem that bright. has anyone been able to find white ones? they have to be out there.

• ddialogue

Posted May 27, 2004 - 04:31 PM

the only LED 1157 bulbs i've been able to find are red ones. red bulb, red lense. it doesn't seem that bright. has anyone been able to find white ones? they have to be out there.

As one other poster mentioned, AutoZone has them in a two-pack for $15.99. VERY bright! :thumbsup:

• mtrablue

Posted May 28, 2004 - 08:18 AM

all the auto zones around here have the red ones. i'll keep looking. if you still have the original package, could you check the brand? if you have to do more than look on the work bench, don't worry about it. thanks.

• ddialogue

Posted May 28, 2004 - 08:55 AM

Actually, I believe I still have the package ON the workbench :awww: (I put the old bulb in the package.) I'll check this afternoon when I get home and post the information. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ddialogue

Posted May 28, 2004 - 11:19 AM

Ok, I found the package on the workbench...just like I thought it would be. However (and yes, I'm feeling really STUPID right now :thumbsup:) they are RED led 1157's I installed.

The good news is their website has them in all different colors, including a super-bright white (and a wide angle model.)
Check them out here: JamStraight LED's

• mtrablue

Posted May 28, 2004 - 05:48 PM

thanks dave, the link gave me the info i needed. i can now take a number to "the zone" and have them get it.

• ddialogue

Posted May 28, 2004 - 06:13 PM

You're welcome! For what it's worth, the RED led's we have installed are very BRIGHT!! Although, having seen those wide angle 1157's I might have to try one of those. :awww:

Drop me a line and let me know how the white version works out. :thumbsup:

• mtrablue

Posted May 29, 2004 - 05:04 AM

i thought you might get a laugh at my intent. bug the harley guys. we have a few at work that are more for show than go. maybe they all are! anyways, i want to ride my WR to work when it's good and dirty and park it with the harleys. as close as possible. i'd like nothing better than to leave a pile of dirt where i was parked. i only live two miles from work but i have to go through two small municipalities to get there. we're not required to have a brake light in missouri. but i don't want to give the local police a reason to even look it up. the stock bulb is okay but i can't help but want to make it better.

• ddialogue

Posted May 29, 2004 - 07:22 AM

Bug the Harley guys...hehe :lol: :awww:

There were several guys with their full-dress hogs at the testing center I went to in order to get my motorcycle endorsement. When I pulled up on the WR450, the looks I got were classic! The looks I gave them when they were running over the cones were even more CLASSIC! :thumbsup:

• ogrebelle

Posted June 02, 2004 - 12:17 PM

I bought the red ones a while ago and like an earlier poster said they are not very bright under the red lense. I will look to see specifically which ones they are (thanks to your website link) 'cuz the ones I bought are definately NOT bright enough. Maybe the I will have to order the super's or the wide's.

• mtrablue

Posted June 03, 2004 - 12:18 AM

my white ones should be in this afternoon(auto zone). i'll post on the results and numbers.

• mtrablue

Posted June 03, 2004 - 04:09 PM

well , the white "bulb" came today. i have to admit, i'm not impressed. $25.99 for one "bulb". the stock bulb is brighter and the light spread is much better. if your not right behind the bike, the LED doesn't show up very well. what a shame. iv'e got an LED flashlight that does a hell of a job. i'll be returning this one.

• SWD6

Posted June 03, 2004 - 05:28 PM

I ordered four different LED bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com. I live in Canada so I'll have to wait till they get here before I post results. :thumbsup:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.