PLEASE HELP:Having engine problems with wr stator on my yz 426

22 replies to this topic
  • 426steve

Posted May 26, 2004 - 06:53 PM

Just installed a trick dual sport kit on my 00yz426,before I bought the kit, I saw on the electrex website how you can modify the wr stator wiring to get the voltage needed to power up the kit. so I bought a wr stator and flywheel off ebay a few months before buying and installing the dual sport kit. when I got the stator in the mail from the seller ,it allready had the wire mods done as perscribed by electrex.I installed the stator and flywheel as well as the rest of the kit carefully.Upon starting my bike I noticed that when at idle it kind of popped and missed , and when I rode it up the street,it is missing and seems like it has a ignition problem, falls on its face when accellerating past half throttle,badly missing. I decided to reinstall the original yz stator and the bike now is running fine,ive called eletrex, they are telling me the problem is cam timing or jetting? The head has never been off this bike or carb. either. Im getting conflicting reports on whether or not the wr stator will work with the yz cdi unit, from baja designs.and ricky stator, as well as electrex , Can anyone help me sort out this mess??im getting frustrated,all ohm readings check out good on this stator when out of the bike and on the bench, per the yamaha service manual any comments or help will be GREATLY appreciated.

• benny_d

Posted May 26, 2004 - 07:00 PM

I am having the exact same problem except that I have a Electrex dual sport kit. I do little adjustments to the needle and to the fuel screw, but nothing is working. I get the miss on any sort of constant throttle. Electrex told me to clean the carb. I did that twice and it is spottless. Hopefully someone has had this problem before and can shed some light onto what we are going through.

• Pothole

Posted July 21, 2004 - 08:36 AM

I'm about ready to modify an '02 WR426 stator for my '99 YZ400, does anyone have any follow-up info on these issues?

• chrome-crf

Posted July 21, 2004 - 10:00 AM

I installed the WR stator and flywheel in my YZ and it works absolutely flawlessly. You guys are definitely having ignition problems if the bike runs fine with the stock stator/flywheel. I have a feeling that the stator is not wired correctly. Go back and check Electrex's pink wire mod to see if it is done the same way.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted July 21, 2004 - 02:58 PM

I installed a electrex wr stator in my 99 yz400 and it worked perfect right from the get go. Sure sounds like you are having ignition problems if it runs good with the stock stator and not the new one. Something with the new stator isn't jiving. Check he wire mod again.

• 426steve

Posted July 22, 2004 - 06:59 PM

I found out the wr stator that I was using was off a 02 wr and the ign timing curve is different than the 00 yz, baja designs told me you must replace the cdi box as well!!!THEY HAVE HEARD OF SIMILAR CASES AND SO THEY DISCONTINUED THE WR STATOR MODS!! the wiring mod was double checked by several yamaha techs and was done to electrex specs.dont want a wr powerband.sold the wr stator and bought a e-line stator , problem solved . sure wish the folks at electrex would do a little more r&d before they issue invalid info.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted July 23, 2004 - 05:46 AM

That is the 1st I have heard of that. Dosnt the CDI handle the ignition curve. I thought all the stator does is supply electrical power to the cdi/lighting/coil. Then again I am no elextrician.

I have a wr stator in my 99 yz400 and it works perfect. The stator I have is not a 99 wr stator as it has 130 watts and the 98-99-00 wr400 stators only had like 75 watts. So my stator came outta a 2001-2002 wr426. I think the 03-04 are different cause of the electrec start and redesigned moror.

• Pothole

Posted July 23, 2004 - 06:04 AM

dang, now I'm confused. I have a stock '02 WR426 stator and a '99 YZ400..I'm hoping that this thing is going to work!

• Rick_Kienle

Posted July 23, 2004 - 02:02 PM

There definately seems to be something between the CDI and the stator. I tried to put a YZ stator in my WR so I could run the smaller flywheel.

I got a 2002 YZ205F stator and flywheel for my 2002 WR250F. All the wire colors on the connector plug were the same and the plug from the stator plugged right in. However, I could not get a spark. I tried fiddling around with the wiring, splicing this into that and so on. Could never get a spark. Put the WRF stator and flywheel back on and it fired up first kick.

So I think that you need the CDI from the same year and same original bike as the stator is from for things to work unless you can figure out exactly how to rewire the stator. I think the modifications to the stator from the aftermarket companies fixes this problem. But it does not seem consistent from year to year. I could not figure it out myself.

• chrome-crf

Posted July 23, 2004 - 02:18 PM

That sounds really weird because I have the WR stator and flywheel from an 02 in my 01 YZ :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted July 24, 2004 - 05:09 PM

Call electrex. THey were very helpfull to me everytime I called them. They should know what is going on and get ya going again.

• 426steve

Posted July 26, 2004 - 08:04 PM

yeah,thats what I thought too , when I contacted them at electrex, you wont believe what they told me,they said my jetting needed to be changed to accomodate the different stator ,yeah right, then they told me my cam timing needed to be changed and that I was one tooth off. , when I told them the motor was stock and has never been apart they still told me it was a mechanical or fuel related problem.the thing definitely had a ignition problem.cut out on accel, popped, :thumbsup: missed and idle was not stable and died.

• Pothole

Posted July 27, 2004 - 04:55 AM

Steve, can you give me the model years of your YZ and the year of WR stator you used?

• chrome-crf

Posted July 27, 2004 - 06:32 AM

426steve, when I was installing my dakar kit for my CRF from Electrex they had a few problems with the circuit boards in them not allowing the light to burn bright but what I am saying is after talking to some shmo there, I got tired of hearing the run around and asked for the owner. The owners name is Rizzo, call and talk to him and he will definitely get you starightened out. He ended up sending me a whole new headlight unit with circuit board to me because I was not happy with mine. :thumbsup:

• lbxr

Posted August 15, 2004 - 06:14 PM

Just installed a trick dual sport kit on my 00yz426,before I bought the kit, I saw on the electrex website how you can modify the wr stator wiring to get the voltage needed to power up the kit. so I bought a wr stator and flywheel off ebay a few months before buying and installing the dual sport kit. when I got the stator in the mail from the seller ,it allready had the wire mods done as perscribed by electrex.I installed the stator and flywheel as well as the rest of the kit carefully.Upon starting my bike I noticed that when at idle it kind of popped and missed , and when I rode it up the street,it is missing and seems like it has a ignition problem, falls on its face when accellerating past half throttle,badly missing. I decided to reinstall the original yz stator and the bike now is running fine,ive called eletrex, they are telling me the problem is cam timing or jetting? The head has never been off this bike or carb. either. Im getting conflicting reports on whether or not the wr stator will work with the yz cdi unit, from baja designs.and ricky stator, as well as electrex , Can anyone help me sort out this mess??im getting frustrated,all ohm readings check out good on this stator when out of the bike and on the bench, per the yamaha service manual any comments or help will be GREATLY appreciated.

DAMN! I could have wrote this myself as I am experiencing the exact same problem...I bought a new 01 wr stator and flywheel for my 00 yz426 and it is duplicating the above post. Is there a solution? Other than buying the wr CDI and will that work with the Electrex mods anyway? I called Electrex and they pretty much did not have time to bother with me...they took my name and # but have not called back as promised-2 weeks. :devil: Any one have a wr CDI for sale? I will call Electrex again, but anyone have a solution? This is getting costly! :thumbsup: Thanks

• chrome-crf

Posted August 15, 2004 - 06:56 PM

This is really weird :thumbsup: I have the same setup in my 2001 motor with absolutely no problems at all. Are you sure you did the pink-wire mod correctly?

• lbxr

Posted August 16, 2004 - 06:19 AM

I carefully followed Electrex's instructions. Pretty simple really and even though the bike runs poorly, the lights worked fine...The vague part was where to attach the the cut and spliced wires I ended grounding them both, have a good spark and the lights work. I wonder if the the voltage is different with the wr stator and may require the wr CDI as well? By the way I have installed a voltage reg. as well. Hopefully I can get a answer from Electrex. At $200+ for a wr CDI, it would truly suck if it did not work either... :thumbsup:

• Pothole

Posted August 24, 2004 - 07:32 AM

Is there any new information of these issues? I just got my new WR stator in the mail from an ebay score, and I'm getting ready to do the pink wire mod...does this mod really work?

'99 YZ400

• chrome-crf

Posted August 24, 2004 - 03:13 PM

Yes the mod does work but for some reason a few people have had problems with them on 99' model bikes :thumbsup:. It doesn't make sense to me. The only thing that could make the bike run bad with doing nothing else but changing the stator would be something wrong with the ignition pickup on the side of the stator. Those of you that have had trouble with the WR stator in the 99' bikes, check the ignition pickup.

• xzlram

Posted September 01, 2004 - 07:14 PM

I have an 02 yz426 I got a stator and flywheel from a wr brand new, don't know what year though. installed it on my bike and it ran just like steve said. has anybody figured this out?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.