4 speed 450

14 replies to this topic
  • MojaveMutt

Posted June 11, 2002 - 03:36 AM

A friend of mine with industry connections says the new 450 might very well have a 4 speed trans.

Glenn

• Hick

Posted June 11, 2002 - 04:43 AM

That would be a big mistake. I'll have to split the cases and put the WR tranny in then...

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 11, 2002 - 04:48 AM

For MX I could see that (I never use 1st on the track as it is) but for offroad it would be a very bad move. For the second reason I'll put $1 that they leave it a 5 speed.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted June 11, 2002 - 06:51 AM

A four speed trans wouldnt surprize me a bit. If you want the 5 speed, buy the WR. Thats why they build it that way.

Honestly, the YZF is a motocross RACING machine. Not a trail bike. Unless your Bob Hannah or something. I read this in a mag: "Lets go climb that hill" What hill? That hill! Thats not a hill, its a cliff! Oh shut up and follow me, if we hit it in fourth we should clear the top! Ya right, I'll watch. HOLY SH!T! howd he do that?

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 11, 2002 - 07:04 AM

Technically you're correct, but from a marketing point of view I'd be curious to see how many of the YZFs go offroad. It may be enough to be significant.

• Jason_in_KC

Posted June 11, 2002 - 07:11 AM

In the Missouri harescrambles and another local series I compete in, if you see a Yammy 4stroke it is high percentage shot that its a YZ, seems around here more of the recreational riders have the WR's. This is just an observation though. I know if there were more WR's..especially the 250f version, I would be over trying to get a test ride..4gears or 5 though, either way it will still serve many purposes..looking forward to later this week so we can all quit guessing...Jason

• Hick

Posted June 11, 2002 - 08:04 AM

I've NEVER seen a WR line up at the start of an off-road event around here, unless it was disguised as a YZ.

People have always raced MX bikes due to the sand liking a taller initial gear, fairly tight courses (about 30 mph avg., so no 100 mph "bomb run"), and sand whoops liking stiff suspension.

And of course you see a lot of EXC and MXCs, 250 and up...

But probably 90% of the bikes at any given race are all YZ, CR, KX and RMs (in that order).

I did see an RMX 250 once, in the C class, ridden by a guy who just moved out here from MO...

IMO removing a gear to save 8 ounces and four bucks is a bonehead move, and I in fact will add my dollar to the pot started by Sirthumpalot. I would also like to make a side bet that the '03 KTM SX 520 will be a five or six speed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MojaveMutt

Posted June 11, 2002 - 08:06 AM

Yamaha has no interest in off-road racing. Maybe they figure the 4 speed won't hurt since their target market for the yz line is mx focused. I believe that 3 & 4 speed trannies are run at the factory level in Europe and U.S. respectively.

Glenn

• holeshot

Posted June 11, 2002 - 09:20 PM

My 426 is sometimes an MX bike, at other times an Enduro/trail machine or a playbike on a dry lakebed and, on a few occasions, has been tapped out in fifth gear on the dragstrip at Carlsbad (GP race).

If they went to 4 speeds, at lot of people would be seeing red. :)

• farmboy520

Posted June 11, 2002 - 09:51 PM

My bike is a four speed and I race MX -- and it NEEDS more gears! On most local MX tracks I am ok but on one in particular I am reaching for fifth.

Someone who is supposedly knowledgeable told me that Tim Ferry only runs three gears in his factory 426 for supercross - anyone else heard this?

• DerwoodYZ

Posted June 11, 2002 - 10:10 AM

As I heard the YZ will be a 4spd and the WR will get 5 spd's and a electric start! I might be going WR next time.

• Stumpy

Posted June 11, 2002 - 10:23 AM

Originally posted by farmboy520:
Someone who is supposedly knowledgeable told me that Tim Ferry only runs three gears in his factory 426 for supercross - anyone else heard this?

Ferry's bike does indeed have only three gears. The other two are blocked off with plastic gears and a special shift drum that will not actuate them.

Originally posted by G. LYLES:
Yamaha has no interest in off-road racing.

Yamaha has a pretty good off-road contingency program to support the use of WRs and YZs in events other than MX.

• Hick

Posted June 11, 2002 - 11:17 AM

Originally posted by G. LYLES:
Maybe they figure the 4 speed won't hurt since their target market for the yz line is mx focused.
Glenn

They would be wrong.

• yznvegas

Posted June 11, 2002 - 11:38 AM

I was riding my yz at a dry lake bed on saturday and wished there was a 6th gear. I was rapped out in 5th and the bike was done. Granted, I don't normally ride like that but it would have been nice to be able to grab another gear.

All I have to say is if the 03' has a 4-speed than I will keep my 02' for a long long time.

• MANIAC998

Posted June 11, 2002 - 03:57 PM

YZNVEGAS. I put 5th gear from the WR in my YZ. I never used 5th on a MX track anyhow. But I wanted some quazar top speed for those fire trails. This way, I can still use the first four for MX, and now 5th is seriously fast on those open stretches!!! Maniac :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.