Cracked Tank...

16 replies to this topic
  • motoman393

Posted June 09, 2002 - 03:07 PM

Well it finally happened to me after 2 years of reading/hearing about it on TTalk! Here is the pic:

Posted Image

I'm ordering a Clarke tank tonight, since it looks like the best alternative. Just thought I would post a topic so that Yamaha might fix this problem associated with thin walled tanks. Later,

Garrett

• motoman393

Posted June 09, 2002 - 03:14 PM

BTW I am trying to decide on a color for the tank (either blue, yellow, or white) along with a total makeover for my bike. I saw an awesome bike on here a few weeks ago...it had all white plastics/gas tank, and blue graphics with black numbers (#33 I think). I think it was Hick or Boit who posted it. Could you please post that pic again I would like to see it! Thanks,

Garrett

I also plan on buying a YZ250 airbox and sidepanels why I am at it. Any comments?

• thumper4life

Posted June 09, 2002 - 03:41 PM

blue....yellow looks weird and white will probably be see through

• DPW

Posted June 09, 2002 - 03:54 PM

Motoman393,
Your right it was Hick how posted the picture.

Posted Image

• OZZY

Posted June 10, 2002 - 08:53 AM

I was just wondering, if there is any way to prevent this? could the black rubber strap cause this,Can you just leave it off?

• Shawn_Mc

Posted June 10, 2002 - 03:04 PM

I thought it was the rubber strap too, its not. Its from sitting up there while cornering Im pretty sure. When you sit up there, you flex the back of the tank at the edge and sooner or later it work hardens like most things will. Its just too thin. If your not slammin up on the tank alot, youll probably get years out of the tank. If your a fatty like me, and ya sit on the gas cap like me, and Im sure Garrett, its gonna break.

• FLEXANDROOST

Posted June 10, 2002 - 04:40 PM

I would use a Acerbis tank my Clark tank was a piece o' crap, to line up, plus the 3.2 gl Acerbis has dual petcock with resavoir(?)sp.

• moto515

Posted June 11, 2002 - 06:28 AM

FOR WHAT IT`S WORTH. I HAD THE SAME DEAL AS WITH MANY 426 OWNERS.AFTER YAMAHA SENT THE NEW TANK I BOUGHT A LARGE SPONGE ABOUT (6 X 12 IN.). I PUT IT IN WATER AND STUFFED IT IN A SOCK END, TO REDUCE THE SIZE DOWN TO ABOUT 2 X 3. THAN I PLACED IT ON THE FRAME AND SUB FRAME MOUNT AT THE BACK OF THE TANK AND WORKED HARD TO GET THE TANK BACK ON. AFTER THE SPONGE DRIED OUT, IT NOW HOLDS THE MOLDED SHAPE OF THE AREA AND PROVIDES SOME SUPPORT FOR THAT AREA.FOR ME IT HAS WORKED GREAT. IT`S BEEN ON MY BIKE FOR ABOUT 1 AND HALF YEAR WITH NO PROBLEMS. TRY IT ,IT MIGHT WORK FOR YOU?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted June 11, 2002 - 02:18 PM

Im 215lbs and i NEVER have problems with ym stock tank! I ride expert A calss supercross and motocross so im not putzin' around. However, I put some stick-on neoprene around the tank where it contacts the frame, this greatly lessens vibration transfered to the tank, and that reduces vibration transferred directly to your ass-crotch area! It also keeps the frame from cracking the gas tank on hard hits off of landings, or if too much force is applied in hard corners with a heavier rider. trust me, it works.

• motoman393

Posted June 11, 2002 - 03:50 PM

Hey Gorilla,

I also tried to fix the problem since I read tons of posts about it. I glued pieces of old HD inner tubes to the frame/subframe to cushion the tank. Well about a year later my tank cracked also. I only weigh 170lbs, so I dont think weight plays a large factor in the cracking. The tank walls are way to thin (just to save a few ounces) hopefully the new 450 has thicker tank walls...because after I plop down $6500 for one I wont have the extra cash to buy a replacement tank. Later,

Garrett

• MXOldtimer

Posted June 11, 2002 - 04:22 PM

Originally posted by moto515:
FOR WHAT IT`S WORTH. I HAD THE SAME DEAL AS WITH MANY 426 OWNERS.AFTER YAMAHA SENT THE NEW TANK I BOUGHT A LARGE SPONGE ABOUT (6 X 12 IN.). I PUT IT IN WATER AND STUFFED IT IN A SOCK END, TO REDUCE THE SIZE DOWN TO ABOUT 2 X 3. THAN I PLACED IT ON THE FRAME AND SUB FRAME MOUNT AT THE BACK OF THE TANK AND WORKED HARD TO GET THE TANK BACK ON. AFTER THE SPONGE DRIED OUT, IT NOW HOLDS THE MOLDED SHAPE OF THE AREA AND PROVIDES SOME SUPPORT FOR THAT AREA.FOR ME IT HAS WORKED GREAT. IT`S BEEN ON MY BIKE FOR ABOUT 1 AND HALF YEAR WITH NO PROBLEMS. TRY IT ,IT MIGHT WORK FOR YOU?

That is an EXCELLENT idea,,,I'm gonna do it. Thanks!

• armourbl

Posted June 12, 2002 - 01:15 PM

I'm really surprised Garrett didn't come up with some fancy fix for the crack. I honestly opened this post with hope that you had found a way to mend the crack.

Seems to me that some plastic welding could work. Not just weld the crack, but maybe patch it with another piece of plastic for added strength.

ben

• motoman393

Posted June 12, 2002 - 04:42 PM

LOL I thought about repairing it...but the cost of a tank is minimal when compared to a burnt down bike IMO. The sponge idea sounds like a good idea to me. My friend repaired his tank with the stuff from NAPA and it lasted about 6 months. I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought the clarke tank, so I wont have to worry about future problems. Later,

Garrett

• DR.Zaius

Posted June 12, 2002 - 06:11 PM

Scuff the plastic up with sand paper and get some JB-WELD!!! :)

I patched a hairline crack on my tank with that stuff, works great. :D

• bassr_#186

Posted June 13, 2002 - 04:40 AM

I got by with JB weld for one practice session, and then it started leaking again (but I had a major crack). Save yourself a lot of headache and get a new tank.

• criss

Posted June 13, 2002 - 08:29 PM

Same story, mine cracked last year, dealer checked with yamaha and said no to a replacement tank.Tried a few different repairs but they only lasted a couple of motos.Ended up buying a new tank from a 98 model 400f which i believe was made from a thicker plastic (2mm vs 1.5mm)- this was before the clarke tank was available.So far so good.

• motoman393

Posted June 15, 2002 - 04:54 PM

Well I got my tank welded tonight by a mechanic at my work. He used to make a living welding plastic pipes together. We used polyethlyene plastic and hopefully it holds up until Monday (when I get a new tank) I am racing tomorrow at Skeeters MX and hopefully it lasts the whole race. Im sure it will because it looks thick!

Garrett

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.