METAL IN FILTER!?!?!?

6 replies to this topic
  • Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted June 08, 2002 - 01:30 PM

I have been wondering if it is normal to have a small amount of metallic filings in the oil filter when the bike is on its 3rd oil change? I heard this was normal when the engine is breaking in and wearing in for the first few oil changes, is this true?

• SkinSF

Posted June 08, 2002 - 01:42 PM

I still have a few shavings in the filter every time I change it. I do not wash and reuse. I out a new one in every 5 hours of riding. Gotta alot of filters sitting around the garage if some wants them.

• OZZY

Posted June 08, 2002 - 02:00 PM

I was just wondering where did you get a full factory bike? sorry just had to ask.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted June 08, 2002 - 02:41 PM

If you didn't constantly have metal pariticles in your engine, the filter would only need to be cleaned or replaced after break in.

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted June 08, 2002 - 02:49 PM

what i mean by full factory bike is that i have TONS of mods done to it. all the trick factory parts that are actually obtainable, i have. I race for a privateer team that a few friends of mine have started.

• PK

Posted June 08, 2002 - 04:59 PM

What will help ya out is getting a magnetic drain plug. You'll be amazed all the crap it grabs when you do your first oil change after the install. My 02 426 had ALOT of garbage in the filter for the first 4 or 5 oil changes. I imagine it's slag from the castings and the motor breaking in. I changed my oil and cleaned my filter after each ride till I was satisfied that I wasn't getting alot of garbage in it. Now the oil is damn near clear and the filter looks good.

PK
02 426

• bassr_#186

Posted June 10, 2002 - 04:31 AM

Skinsf:

Hey, I'll take those filters if you don't want them. Let me know and I will pay for the shipping.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.