Lazy assed engineers

76 replies to this topic
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted June 07, 2002 - 08:07 AM

I went to change out my steering bearings last night. What huge pain in the ass! I hate the engineers at yamaha right now, Ill probably never buy another yamaha anything ever again.

The steering head race seats dont have an access to remove them. All you get is maybe a single mm worth of the race to try to get them out. My Honda had a scallop cut into the seat so you could access the bottom of the race with a drift. No so on the yamaha. There is absolutley no excuse for something like this. Im am really pissed off. Now instead of riding, I get to cut a bearing race out of the steering head. Have you ever tried to cut a bearing race? These things are really really hard! Man Im pissed :) I did this job on my honda in 10 mins. Ive got 3 hours on this and Im not even half way done :D It crap like this, that spoils a brand for me. Sorry guys, with all its faults, my next bike will be red.

• teamtoxic

Posted June 07, 2002 - 08:14 AM

Yep, its a pain but why do you need to replace them? Are they rusted out due to poor maintenance or are they worn out from riding so much? Either way, good luck. You'll need it when you go red :)

• thumpsalad

Posted June 07, 2002 - 08:20 AM

That's strange. My 400 had about 1 mm all the way around the bearing race. I popped both out in 2 minutes by tapping a 4lb. sledge and a long flat screwdriver against the lip. Maybe yours is an anomoly or manufacturing slip up?

• Bambislayer

Posted June 07, 2002 - 08:23 AM

Shawn, I too had a time getting the races out of my 01 426. The bottom was pretty easy because of the increased area of overlap, but on the top I thought I had made a mistake going blue too.

I bought a long punch from the hardware store(the smaller the diameter the better, but unfortunately the diameter corresponds with the length and obviously you need the length to stick it in the steering from the bottom so the choices are limited. Anyway with the punch you have to go at it from all angles to unseat and drive it out. I found that after a few whacks with the hammer, my punch would begin to round off but the dremel fixed that. It will comeout but it takes a while. Don't cut the old races as they make a great tool for hammering in the new ones. Just turn them upside down and it is the perfect diameter.

I have heard of a race chisel with a curved tip but they are very expensive.

Good luck. If you think this is hard, wait until you change the lower stem bearing. A press is required for that one, but Yamaha says to use a "floor chisel" in the manual, whatever the hell that is.

• SUnruh

Posted June 07, 2002 - 08:24 AM

what you are talking about is EASY compared to the races on my '81yz125 that had the coolant that flowed THROUGH the steering head. rusted to the point of not being able to turn the bars lock to lock.

now, i don't know how they did it, but one shop in town changed them in 15 minutes. both.
they mentioned something about using an arc welder and they fall out.
now, my guess is that they try to weld (ie. really heat up) the race by putting a bead on the race where the bearing goes. the metal shrinks and out it comes easy as pie. but this is just a guess. i had spent over 4 hours on them and they had not budged a hair.

[ June 07, 2002: Message edited by: SUnruh ]

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 07, 2002 - 08:31 AM

Thats not good, I am doing mine in the coming days,,,,,

Shawn I am sure you tried heating the outside of the frame first ?

I have this 10 inch ( :) ) punch Hay thought I was gonna say something else huuh No thats 12.

Anyway the punch sits right down on that lip. I figure heating it and working it around as mentioned above...

I dont know I am taking your word for it

• Guest__*

Posted June 07, 2002 - 08:46 AM

Ok fellas, here we go again..another dude that just has to &%$#@! around with his bike when he just don't have a clue..I don't know but I've had many, many off road bikes in my day and I NEVER had to replace a set of steering head bearings!! C'mon man, the bike is two years old!!..poor maintainance or what?..but since Shawn had to get involved with a job he obviously can't handle he's now going RED!! The answer to all his problems!! You hear what you sound like man?? What the hell are you replacing them for anyway???!! Along with a good set of tools you should have an equally good set of balls..and patience would also help...Stop crying and get the job done man...Go Red...When you &%$#@! that up where ya gonna go???....Jeez....They're all mechanics man :) Heat um up and take um out already.....15 minutes

[ June 07, 2002: Message edited by: Steve R. Jacovino ]

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 07, 2002 - 08:53 AM

Man thats open warfare now Shawn

I am right behind ya Shawn :)

[ June 07, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• Bambislayer

Posted June 07, 2002 - 09:00 PM

Jackassovino-You remind me why I decline to go on trips to New Jersey when scheduling calls. You ******* know it all Yankees. It is possible to take an 03 press bike (which are here now by the way) and drive it into a tree and necessitate the replacement of the steering head bearings and it is not 2 years old, 1 year old...hell it has not been released yet.

Many factors can require the replacement of steering head bearings, some of which can be controlled others not. Don't complain about someone asking for help just because you happen to have done it successfully. I will agree that going red is a cop out, but at the same time whenever I work on my 97 cr250, I realize how far superior Hondas are when compared to the Yamahas.

[ June 07, 2002: Message edited by: Bambislayer ]

• Guest__*

Posted June 07, 2002 - 09:10 PM

Question for all:

Why are you guys ( Bambislayer & EgoAhole ) replacing your bearings for?? You got to keep these bearings loaded with grease and you'll never have to replace them..

You have to heat them up as SUnruh was saying his shop did and bang them out with a curved edge chisel made exactly for this reason..Bambislayer, you are correct, they are expensive because the metal they are made up of is indestructable..they are made to pound on and not round off..You need a tourch Shawn!!! They'll come right out man..But PLEEEZE...Don't flame Yamaha dude and don't get pissed either..I get a little pissed myself at people who run into a little problem and blame the bike and say they're going to go RED!! Sounds real bad man...Think about it......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bambislayer

Posted June 07, 2002 - 09:17 PM

I replaced mine because apparently the original owner of the bike failed to grease them regularly, rode quite a bit in some muddy conditions, and probably sprayed high pressure water places he should not have. Mine did not require heat to remove them. The bottom was a complete joke. On top, once a got into the routine of grinding the punch with a dremel to re-squre it, I was fine. 10 minutes max. The hardest part for me was having to go get the lower bearing pressed off the stem. They now are like new...because they are. I do not anticipate having to change them again, and my 97 cr250 has the originals still installed with no problems and no maintenance, so you tell me who maufactures a better product. I bought the Yamaha because I could get a great deal on it and also because I will never buy the first year run of anything mechanical. I do not regret my purchase because financially it was a wash(replace parts on my bike/spend more for new honda). Otherwise I love my 426.

Unless you work for Yamaha or own stock in the company why do you care what he rides.

[ June 07, 2002: Message edited by: Bambislayer ]

• DethWshBkr

Posted June 07, 2002 - 09:20 PM

I have to replace mine in my KTM from my crash 7 weeks ago. I SMASHED the bearings all up. I bent them back a little, they function for now, but they will need replaced. There is no room for mine to be pushed out either. Mine have been removed when the steering stem is pressed out. BUT, when I have to do it to put the new bearings in, I'm gonna use a long straight screwdriver and a hammer. If you go slow and steady around the little gap, you should be able to just pop it off.

• SoundChaser

Posted June 07, 2002 - 09:21 PM

ShawnMC- I with ya man, right up to the point about going red. That top race was so much of a bitch, that I ended up leaving mine in there. I was pretty well off, being that it wasn't pitted or galled in anyway. Good luck and I have shared your pain bro!

Jackassovino, now that was funny reply B-Slayer! :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 07, 2002 - 09:21 PM

Let me splain dis fo you Joyzee boy

My bearings are shot, this is becouse the bearings were dry, I got the bike used, the guy I got it from hit a tree, he then replaced the triple clamp that was bent.

I have a gyro feeling in the front, after careful inspection I noticed the races were out of round with Hi and Low Divots in them (Much Like The Divots In your Head).

So that is why I am replacing them

Plus to add I have had allot of bike in me life time, I have only had to replace a few races and bearings. But when they have to be replaced they have to be replaced.

So SlutHammer est1962, Take you bull**** mouth and pack it where the sun don’t shine

If there is a problem with no slot to punch them out. I suggest then use a dremmil after they are gone and grind a small slot both side top and bottom for future if needed.....

[ June 07, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted June 07, 2002 - 09:22 PM

I wonder if some of the problems with the steering head bearings is because of the dry sump. The oil heats the frame which may cause the bearing grease to flow out of the bearings. It's just a fact of life with these bikes that we have to check the steering head bearings more often.

• beezer

Posted June 07, 2002 - 09:25 PM

The only the harder than a guidos head is tungsten.

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 07, 2002 - 09:29 PM

beezer You Drunk

What :)

• beezer

Posted June 07, 2002 - 09:35 PM

And EGO as a card carrying Joisey Boy I highly resemble that remark. Don't you California glamour boys realize that most Pro MX riders are acutally from Joisey. Well there was, hmmm well there had to be somebody. Lemme think a minute. Ah shadup you face.

• Guest__*

Posted June 07, 2002 - 09:40 PM

Calm your a$$ Bambi..Still a little sore at us Yankees huh?? Get over it man! IMHO anyone who rides an 03 or any bike into a tree should not be riding!! Like I said, I never replaced a set of steering head bearings because I do believe in maintainance and NOT running into trees :) But if I had to replace a set, I know of how I'd go about doing it! I don't mind at all helping people who want to be helped but I am tired of people blaming the bike already! He's ready to throw his bike in the trash and run to the Honda dealer..C-mon man..I agree with you that your 97 CR250 was a better bike then what Yamaha was putting out at that time but I believe Yamaha is a bit ahead in four stroke technology at the moment..Anyway, you're talking about a two stroke man...I can rebuild a two stroke on my dinner table while I'm eating macaroni man..Ahh, we're getting way off topic here..

...and don't visit the NY NJ area...we don't like bitter hillbilly rednecks...John Rocker talked a good game but didn't ride the 7 train after all did he??

• beezer

Posted June 07, 2002 - 09:43 PM

Mista Ego,
I think that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Shawn I had a similar trouble with a bearing. I took a pipe and welded it to the race and used a slap hammer on the pipe. When program was written for the machine tool it would have taken all of 2 seconds to machine in a recess for bearing removal.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.