clutch problems

9 replies to this topic
  • tricky

Posted May 24, 2004 - 02:21 AM

I raced or attempted to yesterday and ran into some bike problems that resulted in two DNF's.

Basically the first moto, my bike had a problem disengaging the clutch. Which of course made it very hard to control as you could imagine. After laying it down a couple times, my kickstarter was basically locked. I put it in gear and pushed, eventually it broke free and I was able to start it and ride back to the pits.

Second moto, at the starting gate...When the gate dropped I pinned it, just to hear the engine rev but the bike was moving very slow. Throughout that half lap, the engine was running fast the the power I was getting. Sometimes it would catch and go, the others it would rev and just putt along.

Any suggestions on where I should start to get this bike back up and running before my next race?

Thanks

• Fastest1

Posted May 24, 2004 - 08:36 AM

Check the clutch pack first. I have had my kickstart do that once but it never did it again so I quit worrying. It really just sounds like a slipping clutch if I read everything right.

• tricky

Posted May 24, 2004 - 09:02 AM

Can you recommend a good clutch kit?

• Fastest1

Posted May 24, 2004 - 02:52 PM

I have always had the best luck with stock. Barnett was grabby in my opinion and its longevity wasnt as good as stock.

• Scott_321

Posted May 24, 2004 - 06:16 PM

Tricky, if it is not disengaging be sure to check the fingers on the clutch basket for grooves. The fiber plates can get stuck in the grooves and can't move inside the basket if the grooves are deep enough. If this is happening you might be looking for a new basket. You might be able to clean them up with a file but that could also cause too much clearance between the fingers and the tabs on the fiber plates if the grooves are deep enough.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted May 25, 2004 - 03:26 AM

Can you recommend a good clutch kit?

Yep get your wallet out and call hinson for a complete clutch....$850-1200 clams.....

• tricky

Posted May 25, 2004 - 04:44 PM

Well pulled the clutch apart and found that I had friction plates chewed up, one of them snapped...and I lost a clutch basket finger.

• Fastest1

Posted May 25, 2004 - 06:07 PM

:thumbsup: Sorry to hear it. If you have the cash the HInson would be the way to go! :awww:

• PIKE

Posted May 26, 2004 - 03:31 PM

For anyone who cares:
The best clutch modification I had done was to convert my 03 YZ450F clutch to a WR style. It costs about $100 in parts but works great on mx track and in trails.

• John407

Posted May 26, 2004 - 11:12 PM

What do you mean WR style? What is different than the YZ clutch? Thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.