Has anyone swaped a 01 yz silencer to a 01 WR?

5 replies to this topic
  • lomitamike

Posted May 27, 2001 - 12:21 PM

I've left my bike stock for the first 4 rides now I feel Im ready to do some mods. I'll be starting with with the exhaust. Reading everything I could find on this site it seems like the YZ silencer is the way to go as far as the power to noise concern. Has anyone done this conversion? What's involved and does the YZ have a spark arrester? Any feedback will help. Thanks Mike

• JAAB

Posted May 27, 2001 - 04:17 PM

Hey, does that mean you will sell me your 01 Exhaust?

Posted May 27, 2001 - 06:47 PM

I am using a 00 YZ426 pipe on my WR426 and you really can tell THAT big of a difference. It seem to have some more top end but I really couldn't say how much. I think the YZ pipe sounds cool but it is loud. It DOESN'T have a spark arrester so watch it in riding areas that require them. As far as the mounting...My friend went with a White Bros. E-Series and used the stock washer insert for the frame mounting, (it's a little different than the WR pipe, we have a small mounting hole. The YZ has a insert that the mounting bolt goes thru.) I used 2 flat washer and a piece of heater hose and made my own. I like the looks and sound but before you do this I would remove the baffle and cut your throttle stop.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bobwombat

Posted May 29, 2001 - 07:05 AM

I've been using a '00 YZ pipe/silencer on my '00 WR since new and, along with proper jetting, throttle stop & airbox mods, TOTALLY changed the nature of my bike. I've never been able to figure out why guys spend $300-$500 on aftermarket pipes when a great solution is right before our eyes. since alot of YZ drivers go aftermarket, their stock pipes can be had for cheap; $100 brand new in my case. yep, they're loud but this bike flies now!

• vincegatcore.com

Posted May 29, 2001 - 12:12 PM

I have the yz pipe on my bike with a 180 main it has made a huge differance, but it was too loud, so I had a friend make an insert for it. (basically a washer with 5 .275inch holes in it) it makes less noise than a wr pipe with an insert and is alot lighter and more powerful. I have had no problems with it and it still rips.
We tested a one hole (.75inch) insert it was louder than the 5 hole version with no power differance but it was alot louder. maybe you can use a screen of some sort for a spark arrestor?? I have also read somewher in here about using a drain screen from your hardware store somewhere on this site.
good luck

98 wr400
yz timing
yz seat and tank
street legal
panoram computer

• Roddy

Posted June 02, 2001 - 03:54 PM

Loud pipes close riding areas and thats all they do.Want your bike to go faster, go to the gym.

Originally posted by vincegatcore.com:
I have the yz pipe on my bike with a 180 main it has made a huge differance, but it was too loud, so I had a friend make an insert for it. (basically a washer with 5 .275inch holes in it) it makes less noise than a wr pipe with an insert and is alot lighter and more powerful. I have had no problems with it and it still rips.
We tested a one hole (.75inch) insert it was louder than the 5 hole version with no power differance but it was alot louder. maybe you can use a screen of some sort for a spark arrestor?? I have also read somewher in here about using a drain screen from your hardware store somewhere on this site.
good luck

98 wr400
yz timing
yz seat and tank
street legal
panoram computer

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.