03' wr450f

6 replies to this topic
  • dbone

Posted May 22, 2004 - 02:39 PM

Hello my name is donnie,I bought a 03'wr450f before I knew about the problems it has had.The bike is running good great power,I was wondering how I would know if it has had the 04'mods.Also I'm new to this board and wanted to take the time to say that the info here is great,thanks to whoever started it.
Are any of you in the Phoenix area,i'm in Scottdale and looking for people to ride with?Again thanks in advance for any info...
Donnie

• SteadyEddy

Posted May 22, 2004 - 03:22 PM

hey donnie, Congrats on the bike, I just got mine a month ago as well. The guys here at TT are great, taught me everything i know about my baby,
Check out this site :thumbsup:
http://www.off-road....4/runright.html

• ddialogue

Posted May 23, 2004 - 06:32 AM

Hello my name is donnie,I bought a 03'wr450f before I knew about the problems it has had.The bike is running good great power,I was wondering how I would know if it has had the 04'mods.Also I'm new to this board and wanted to take the time to say that the info here is great,thanks to whoever started it.
Are any of you in the Phoenix area,i'm in Scottdale and looking for people to ride with?Again thanks in advance for any info...
Donnie

Donnie,

If you're specifically referring to the '04 starter upgrade, you can find that information here: '04 starter upgrade courtesty of Indy_wr450.

:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dbone

Posted May 24, 2004 - 05:51 AM

Thanks Guys,
No mods. on this bike time to save my pennys.
Donnie

• BajaFool

Posted May 24, 2004 - 08:28 AM

Dbone,
If you decide to upgrade your motorcycle to the 04 starter configuration, you should know that you do not have to replace the 03 left side case cover with the 04 Left Side Case Cover P/N 5TJ-15411-10-00 at $92.49 or buy the gasket for the new side case , Gasket, P/N 5T5-15451-00-00 at $4.49. Instead, you can install a new bushing in the 03 Left Side Case, which will allow you to install the updated starter gear from the 2004 WR450 in your 2003 WR450F. Purchase from the 2004 WR450F parts list a Bushing, Solid P/N 90380-10002-00 at $71 (yes less than $1.00). Some dealers have had a problem finding this part number in their parts microfishe. Be insistant, it is the correct part number and nomenclature. If the parts guy won't cooperate, call Motoworld of El Cajon 1-800-249-3556 (it's in El Cajon, CA near San Diego). Once the bushing is installed, the new 04 torque limiter gear will slip right into the modified side cover. Also, make sure that you install one of the steel washers on the gear shaft under the gear and the other one on the gear shaft on top of the gear. The entire operation will take under 10 minutes. The mod is a little pricey, it cost me $213 with "good guy" pricing. If, however, the starter gear train fails, you will, at the very least, find youself walking back to your truck from wherever it was that the bike broke. The worst case scenario is, in addition to walking, you will also have to disassemble your engine to replace the left side case, as well as replace the crank and fly wheel. Definitely install the starter mod. :thumbsup:

• TWSimpson

Posted May 24, 2004 - 08:29 AM

dbone,
Do the free mods, there worth the time. You've got a great bike and with a few mods (airbox,throttle stop, etc.) you'll be very pleased. My 03 is running strong. Once my collar bone is healed I'll be up and running again.
Tom :thumbsup:

• dbone

Posted May 24, 2004 - 12:27 PM

Thanks,I'm starting to feel better about the whole deal.I love the bike,the power is crazy.I did do the free mods,world of difference.I converted it to street with a kit from baja designs,same problems as everybody else battery not charging,although I spoke with them and they found a fix just last week.I will have to send the stator to them next week,they fix and return no charge...Thanks again.
Donnie

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.