First Oil Change!! 04 450

10 replies to this topic
  • simch

Posted May 22, 2004 - 12:38 PM

My first WR.....I hope it gets quicker, it took me about an hour all in! How many drain pugs..?? The manual's pictures of where they all are took a while to decipher too!! At least I know where they all are now! Anyway, all back together, no leaks, and I can really start to cane it now! :thumbsup:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 22, 2004 - 01:24 PM

My first WR.....I hope it gets quicker, it took me about an hour all in! How many drain pugs..??

Just two... You're lucky you have an 04.. 2002 WR models and earlier would take you longer because of the frame likes to take its time getting oil to the motor. I feel I can do a complete change in less than 10 minutes on a 450.. Drain a quart and add a quart..... Pretty simple really..

• SteadyEddy

Posted May 22, 2004 - 01:51 PM

yer mine took a while the first time to,
I couldn't work out if i needed to fill it up through the
frame or the engine :thumbsup:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 22, 2004 - 05:10 PM

yer mine took a while the first time to,
I couldn't work out if i needed to fill it up through the
frame or the engine

Your bike only has one oil fill.... If you have a 98 to 02 it's up top, if you have an 03 and up it goes down below, pretty simple... :thumbsup:

• SteadyEddy

Posted May 22, 2004 - 06:27 PM

yer I know that now, The guy I bought it off was filling it up top, in the frame. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 23, 2004 - 01:07 PM

The guy I bought it off was filling it up top, in the frame.

Gotcha.. :thumbsup:

• simch

Posted May 24, 2004 - 08:36 AM

There were 6 drain bolts in all, including the strainer. the main sump one, the frame one, one tiny one by the gearlever, the filter oil drain and the oil feed to the motor that I undid (per the book) to remove the strainer.

So I take it, future changes will just need the main sump plug and the frame plug draining?

By the way, i reckon the clutch is a bit noisier at idle after the change. But maybe its the new skidplate too?

• mtrablue

Posted May 24, 2004 - 05:11 PM

after the first change you can probably get by with just the frame and main engine plugs. do the screens about once a season. a little tip from a lazy owner. lay the bike on it's left side when you change the filter. it'll save you the trouble of cleaning up a mess. i doubt the small amount of oil left in the filter cavity will be a problem.

• xteamrider

Posted May 25, 2004 - 01:17 PM

If you want to get the faster oil change, might I suggest a Billy Who Man Funnel. I've been using it, simplified the process for sure:

Billy Who WR250/450f Man Funnel

• simch

Posted May 25, 2004 - 02:32 PM

yeah i saw those funnels and thought what a gimmick. then i changed the oil and when i took the frame plug out........!!&%$#@!!? Took me about 15 mins to clean the front tyre!!

I must source one here in the UK

• tp3dxf

Posted May 25, 2004 - 10:30 PM

If you want a really fast oil change warm that bike up! Get that oil nice and warm. It will flow like water.

Watch out for the frame drain it will want to spew all over your front tire. I just pull the bolt out slowly and let the pressure die down before I pull it all the way out.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.