zstart Question for Zstart Users

9 replies to this topic
  • John_Lorenz

Posted May 22, 2004 - 12:29 PM

Just wondering if anyone has noticed an increase of noise rattle coming out of the Zstart.

Maybe its me Dunno But the bike is still flawless and the clutch works great. Only change I did was replace the stock clutch cover with the Zstart cover. Not sure if it just magnifies the clutch noise. But standing behind the bike it is pretty rattly

• OC768

Posted May 23, 2004 - 05:35 PM

Yeah, I just replaced my clutch pack, changed oil, overlubed chain etc. and I still have some noise.

I too have the Rekluse cover and do beleive it magnifies the noise a bit more, as the top plate is not radiused as much as the OE, I think its more of a noisemaker is all. No performance differences or anything, just some clikety clack...

• endurodog

Posted May 23, 2004 - 06:42 PM

John I think that sounds like a major problem. I would remove it right away and send it to me. I would be more than happy to test it on my bike and see if it's all good. I'm willing to do extensive testing for the rest of this season, out of the goodness of my heart. You can thank me later.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted May 24, 2004 - 02:56 AM

Hmmmmmmm.....

The only question I would ask in my personal debate on which unit to buy is: Did you purchase the aftermarket side cover just because it was pretty or out of mechanical need?

Two more weeks until I make a final decision so I am watching the Rekluse threads very closely.

Thanks,

Bonzai :thumbsup:

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 24, 2004 - 05:03 AM

Hmmmmmmm.....

The only question I would ask in my personal debate on which unit to buy is: Did you purchase the aftermarket side cover just because it was pretty or out of mechanical need?

Two more weeks until I make a final decision so I am watching the Rekluse threads very closely.

Thanks,

Bonzai :lol:

First Edog
Join and support the BRC, I might :thumbsup:

Yamakaze
I found some Slight (I MEAN SLIGHT) rubbing on the inside of the OEM Cover. I opted to buy the purty one instead of having all send me out new Gaskets. Some owners have seen a rubbing of the OEM on 450's Al has since created a set of Thicker Gaskets to improve that.

I was wondering if the New cover was simply magnifing the noise :awww:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mx426

Posted May 24, 2004 - 05:38 AM

Mine makes a little more noise than the stock set up. I chalked it up to my wife's shreiking continuing to ring in my ears and went on about my way. :thumbsup: I have checked and checked again and have found nothing out of the ordinary behind the cover.

• Fastest1

Posted May 24, 2004 - 08:26 AM

Yamakaze, Buy one now! You wont regret it. I have an EFM and I love it. I would have bought the Z start but this one came out of TT's classifieds for 175.00. Couldnt pass it up. :thumbsup:

• rbm33

Posted May 24, 2004 - 03:40 PM

my z start may have a little more noise than the stock clutches, or maybe im just looking for something. lol

either way i have abused it for several races, i pulled the cover and plate and everything looks fine and it has performed flawlessly. i cant imagine riding with a manual clutch now!!

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 24, 2004 - 04:09 PM

Just a little update and Info

I took the cover off (New Zstart Built Cover) and inspected it, Not a scratch looks brand new and plenty of Oil residue to boot.

Put the stock OEM cover on

No Noise :lol:

Put the Zstart

Sounds like a ducati Dry Clutch

Back on with the OEM

No Noise :awww:

Zstart ducati Dry Clutch

OEM cover No Noise :lol:

:lol:

This is just one of those :thumbsup: X-Files ;) I just figure that the added volue is just amplifiing the noise tat is already there. Or the # thick gaskets are obsorbing the noise some when the OEM is on :lol:

• OC768

Posted May 24, 2004 - 05:59 PM

Loaded question :thumbsup: I was one of the very few folks with an extremely 'far end of the spec' 03 YZ450 and my z-start and Oe cover felt like playing tag. I should also note this was BEFORE the revision stating 3 gaskets on install not 2. Had I done 3 from the start, probably would still be running OE.

Anyways, mechanical function would have to be my answer. Didn't want to put 3 gaskets under my OE cover (it can only get so far off the deck before tolerances alter, IMO) especially since it was already a bit stressed from the Magnesium to hardened steel contact previously.

Plus the idea of having more oil cap. with an auto clutch appealed to me. I ride woods only, lots of soupy nasty tech. stuff where the clutch is in use lots - just felt better having more lube and more area for it to play in.

The only advice I would have going into this is the following (specifically for 03 YZ 450 owners):

1- buy the 02 426 inner clutch disc parts (1 fric plate, 1 spring,1 spacer disc)
2- buy the '04 clutch mounting arm (associated sized hardware to accomidate it) and actuator arm for the 04 YZ's
3- loctite - use sparingly.

The good part: after a rocky start, I love my z-start and don't think I can own a clutched bike again. Simply put this thing is awesome, probably the best mod. I have done to any of my bikes thus far. Though I do think Im one of the few that will be buying the perch mount for it...just a redundant systems thing :awww:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.