Cool oil temp dipstick. :)

15 replies to this topic
  • heliosstudios

Posted May 22, 2004 - 05:51 AM

BajaDesigns has came up with a cool idea here...

Posted Image

Suhhhhweeeeet!

• Dual_Dog

Posted May 22, 2004 - 05:59 AM

Just make sure you follow the instructions about making (filing) your own upper & lower oil reference marks for checking your oil. Other than that its a slick item, though I don't have one personally.

• FlyByWire

Posted May 22, 2004 - 06:41 AM

Yet is says 'XR's only" on it.. hmmmmmmmmm :thumbsup:

• heliosstudios

Posted May 22, 2004 - 06:44 AM

And the funny thing is, I couldn't find it on the XR's Only page! Go figure. :thumbsup:

• 2strokes_rule

Posted May 22, 2004 - 06:56 AM

SRC sells 'em too.

• heliosstudios

Posted May 22, 2004 - 08:02 PM

Along the same lines, has anyone tried the trick Baja stainless-steel mesh oil filter? Supposed to be infintely reusable (and it better be, for $65!)

• HCWHunter

Posted May 23, 2004 - 08:58 AM

Actually, as the face of the gage says, XR's Only came up with the product. It's just a baking thermometer with a machined billet hex-head threaded holder along with a custom face insert. I think they got the idea from a european company. It's on the XR's Only website under "Chassis Parts" tab.
:thumbsup:
HW

• qadsan

Posted May 23, 2004 - 11:00 AM

I haven't seen the BD stainless filter, but its most likely the KIP stainless filter which is sold under different names and through places like Scotts Performance, etc. You can also look up ipsmotors on eBay and they sell stainless filters as well for ~$45 each including shipping. There's also a company called CRT who sells their Furious Flow stainless filter, but this filter can be completely dissassembled and individual parts can be replaced unlike some of the other stainless filters and the CRT filter is anodized red for that extra bling factor :thumbsup: Rocky Mountain sells the CRT stainless filter for $39.99 and they're a very good company to deal with. Here's their link. http://www.rockymoun...?sid=0004632947 I think if I was to try out a stainless filter, I'd probably buy the CRT from Rocky Mountain, but the stock paper serves me quite well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted May 23, 2004 - 11:05 AM

I purchased the thermometer dip stick from Baja Designs a couple of years ago. Water would get behind the guage and eventually it quit working. In my opinion they are a waste of money until they make one that is sealed better.

• TimBrp

Posted May 24, 2004 - 01:39 AM

I purchased the thermometer dip stick from Baja Designs a couple of years ago. Water would get behind the guage and eventually it quit working. In my opinion they are a waste of money until they make one that is sealed better.

I agree completely. Same thing happened here. Thirty bucks for something I can't even stick in a bird and expect to work properly...

• loufish

Posted May 24, 2004 - 06:22 PM

OK, now I know my oil temp....what am I supposed to do with this new info? I'd be happier with a coolant gauge. I have the Scotts SS oil filter, and like it.

• TimBrp

Posted May 25, 2004 - 01:47 AM

I think Qadsan said it best before. "What is the relevance of oil temperature in the frame"? It's there to be cooled and recycled into the motor. Only real way to tell exact oil temperature in my opinion would be to tap into the oil-line feeding the head or the oil in the clutch area. Then you'd know what your looking at.

• heliosstudios

Posted May 25, 2004 - 06:41 AM

Isn't the oil in the resevoir coming FROM the head? So then the temperature of that oil would be after heating... in any case, it would be handy to look down and say "gee, 350°F sure seems a little hot... I'd better stop pelting the guy behind me with dirt." :thumbsup:

• TimBrp

Posted May 25, 2004 - 07:45 AM

I hear yah. My major point is that these mechanisms are very fragile. I had mine in operation for a month and it broke. Had some water get in there mixed with a bit of vibration and it was toast. Looked trick and worked for while but for 30 bucks...nah. Funniest thing: I go out to the garage and the gauge on my bike read 70 degrees. I was like &%$#@!?? I hadn't ridden in a few days. I started by freaking out on people for riding it and not telling me...then it came to me. It's a thermometer dumba$$..LOL...had to be there.

• xrMike

Posted May 25, 2004 - 08:41 AM

>>I purchased the thermometer dip stick from
>>Baja Designs a couple of years ago. Water would get
>>behind the guage and eventually it quit working. In my
>>opinion they are a waste of money until they make one
>>that is sealed better.

>>I agree completely. Same thing happened here. Thirty
>>bucks for something I can't even stick in a bird and
>>expect to work properly...

I just bought one about 6 months ago and noticed the same thing happening... After I washed my bike, a layer of condensation would always form under the glass. I was worried that it would rust the internals, so what I did the first couple times was take the dipstick out of my bike, put it in my oven, and set the temp to 250 degrees Farenheit, and let it sit in there for about 15 minutes. Doesn't hurt the dipstick at all, and the heat drives the water out of the inside completely. Works every time.

Then I got smart. Got a few balloons from one of my kids, and now I put a balloon over the thing before I wash it.

I suppose I could run a thin bead of silicone sealer around the edge of the glass too, and that would fix the problem permanently. But that would be too easy. :thumbsup:

• MotoChris521

Posted May 26, 2004 - 03:35 AM

I love mine.Never had a problem with moisture.I guess i should wash my bike more often. :thumbsup: :awww: :lol:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.