valve shims

14 replies to this topic
  • mat

Posted June 05, 2002 - 06:53 PM

has anyone else tried to order odd size shims, ie 161 or 174, i cant believe all the dealers in my area can only get them in incriments of 5,

• osheen

Posted June 05, 2002 - 07:04 PM

According to the manual, that is all that is available. I know that the increment of 5 shims can take you from being on the tight side to the loose side (and vice-versa) depending on what your clearance is. Always run loose instead of tight and call it good...........

• moorespeed426

Posted June 05, 2002 - 07:10 PM

increments of 5 equal .002 thousants,so that should be able to keep you within tolerances,and I too would shoot for the middle to loose side of the spec

• MX_Tuner

Posted June 06, 2002 - 01:11 AM

The specs listed are a large enough spread that the .05mm range are fine for getting the clearance within that spec.

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted June 06, 2002 - 02:11 AM

Someone was talking about sanding them down. Since the shims you need are always thinner (valves get tight, not loose) and the number on the shim is the thickness (1/100s of a mm?), use a caliper and 400 sandpaper on a hard flat surface and make custom shims. Only heard of it, haven't tried it.

Good luck,
mwc

• motoman393

Posted June 06, 2002 - 03:00 AM

I have sanded down my shims so I can keep them at the tolerances I choose. Go buy a caliper or a micrometer and some 600 grit wet sandpaper. Tape the 600 grit sandpaper to a piece of glass and sand the shim in a figure 8 motion. It took like 10 mins per shim to grind down (real hard metal) but still much cheaper than $5 a shim. Good Luck,

Garrett

Posted June 06, 2002 - 03:31 AM

try a different yamaha dealer. When I adjusted my valves i traded my old shims for new ones. The dealer that i used had odd sizes from trades and new shims in increments of 5. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawbridge Husky

Posted June 06, 2002 - 06:10 AM

I grind them down in my shop on my surface grinder. Find a reputable machine shop in your area. They can do this with ease.

• RIDEPATE

Posted June 06, 2002 - 08:17 AM

i concurr (sp?) on the sanding them down, it works great and you can taylor them to your specs, i use a digtal mic and its real easy!!!!!!jimbo

• Hick

Posted June 06, 2002 - 08:23 AM

Will sanding them affect their hardness?

• Ranger_426F

Posted June 06, 2002 - 08:35 AM

Hick,

The answer is NO. The hardness will remain unless you use a surface grinder and get them real hot. If you hand sand them as Motoman does you will have no problems at all. If you do use a suface grinder do so in small increments wetting the shims every new stroke you take.

Have fun

• Ian_M.

Posted June 06, 2002 - 12:10 PM

Buy stainless shim stock in sheets. i've used it before to true up the bed on my Atlas metal lathe. Justcut to fit your needs. cya ian

• yamafreek_hawaii

Posted June 06, 2002 - 09:07 PM

I sanded mine down with a piece of glass and 400 sandpaper. I know that Honda uses the same shims in one of their bikes and those might be able to get in odd sizes.

• gal

Posted June 09, 2002 - 06:38 AM

the manual notes that u can get shims in 5mm intervals ,so always go on the loose side ...
and if u need 174 u can buy 175 and use waterpaper(i hope thats how u call it...) to shave it a bit...

• MANIAC998

Posted June 09, 2002 - 04:10 PM

HONDA SHIMS! Aint no way a Honda shim is going in my bike! Your mouth should be washed out with Yamabond. Sheesh... whats next? Red plastic? Maniac :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.