metal in oil-426

5 replies to this topic
  • Squirly246

Posted May 21, 2004 - 08:13 PM

A couple of weeks ago I started to hear a strange sound from my engine, so I tore it down and found one of the timing chain guides had broke a caused the chain to slap against the stator(making lots of metal in my oil). I also found both cam gears and the crank gear are worn very badly. Anyhow for the last week I have been rounding up parts for my bike(I just ordered about $1000 worth of engine parts I found bad). Sucks the crank gear is part of the crank. Tonight I decided to start cleaning every thing up. I cleaned all the metal out of every where I could think of. One thing that really surprized me was there was not that much metal in the screen that srews up into the frame, however I decided to flush the frame with brakecleaner and this is what came out. Posted Image Just a reminder, anyone who rebuilds there yz should definetly clean everything thourouly. Have a great day.

• VikingfromNorth

Posted May 22, 2004 - 01:28 AM

Hmm.. That´s bad man..

• tool

Posted May 22, 2004 - 09:40 AM

my cb drive gear ground up a (factory-tightened) torx screw that came off the CB gear... i found almost all of the metal from that on the magnetic drain plug. that plug is easily the cheapest insurance you can buy. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Squirly246

Posted May 22, 2004 - 03:19 PM

Good Point, I am actually running a magnetic drain plug, but all that metal is aluminium from the stator plate. Aluminiumcan still damege stuff though.

• fog527

Posted May 22, 2004 - 05:07 PM

I just did my crank for the same reason..I bought a new cam chain and didn't like the way the crank gear looked. so out it came.don't forget to replace the crank bearings while your there.

• Hamish

Posted May 22, 2004 - 07:28 PM

When I blew the box in my WR I stripped everything (bar the head) and cleaned it in kero bath a few times, then washed off with petrol followed by blowing down with compressed air. After reassembly it still took 2 oil changes to get a clean filter. I cleaned out the frame and all the oil lines, so god knows where the debris was hiding.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.