YZ450 vs YZ250

11 replies to this topic
  • player3

Posted May 21, 2004 - 07:09 PM

I am looking to get a new bike guys and I need some help. I have a WR250F yz'd out but it just isn't working on the track or jumps. It feels heavy and not super nimble. I want a lighter bike withmore power for mx and trail riding. Will a YZ450 feel much lighter like a 250 smoker? I love riding 2 stroke 250's but feel a 450 would be better overall for trails and mx. My concern is the WR is about 20 punds heavier than a YZ and mine has all of the parts removed and pipe etc. getting it closer. Will a 450 feel light and jump like a 250 two stroke or do I need a smoker? :thumbsup:

Thanks
Ramon

• twistngrip

Posted May 22, 2004 - 10:14 AM

My brother has a '01 YZ250 (smoker) and I ride an '03 450F. After riding both bikes, I think his feels a little lighter and handles a bit better. I think mine is more fun to ride because of the power and it still handles very well. I ride the 450 in the desert mostly and it works for me for that. I really think it comes down to opinion. Both have positives and negatives and both are great bikes. :thumbsup:

• player3

Posted May 22, 2004 - 02:38 PM

I am so torn! From what I have heard the YZF feels heavy compared to a CRF450. I have rode an 03' CRF450 stock and I am just not at all impressed with the power. I have never ridden a YZF 450 so I don't know what to expect. I have my WR as listed that is at least 13 pounds lighter than stock putting it close to the YZF 450. I feel like it is heavy and I don't want to buy another bike to be disappointed. I ride trails alot but they are open and I go pretty fast so I think a two smoke can hack it but the 450 would be nice. When I felt the bikes side to side the 250 smoker feels way lighter than the 450. :thumbsup: Will a 450 feel like my bike or lighter? I can keep my WR for trails if I need to. I want this bike for trails, MX, and basic free riding. Thanks for your input guys keep it coming! :awww:

• svotta

Posted May 22, 2004 - 03:10 PM

I mostly ride MX and I just sold my 2001 CR250 and bought a used 2004 YZF 450. Best decision I ever made. The four stroke power is alot easier to handle approaching jumps and I feel that I can jump farther and maintain better control. It's also easier to get on the gas earlier in the corners. I did notice a small weight gain but I got used to it very quickly. This is a very versatile bike and I don't think you will be disappointed.

• falshh

Posted May 22, 2004 - 08:12 PM

Ive got a yz450 and love it.It does take a little manhandling and after a day of riding I am beat, but the power is awsome, no matter where you are on the track there is always tons of power left, and on the flip side of it being a brute to handle it is rock solid stait on the track hit the throttle and it just goes strait, hit a jump and its very stable in the air.Get the 450 you will love it, just be in shape for a long day at the track, thats for sure.

• 2slow2matter

Posted May 24, 2004 - 09:58 AM

I just switched this last year from a YZ125 to a YZ450f. I was like you, very worried about the weight issue, but I can say, I am thrilled. The 450 has more than enough power to make the weight not much of an issue. I fact, I recently took my old 125 out for a spin and actually got more tired man-handling it around compaired to the smooth power of the 450.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzf400man

Posted May 24, 2004 - 02:06 PM

i have a friend that has a 02 yz 250 and it runs pretty good, but nothing compare to my cousins crf 450. the 450 just runs so much better and and has a lot better power delivery. it is a lil bit heavier but the power makes up for it.

now i have a yz 400 and it is a crap ton heavier then the 250 and the 450 but it will still whoop that stinkin smoker on the track and in a straight line :thumbsup:. but maybe thats cuz of the driver! :awww:)

• bigc

Posted May 24, 2004 - 04:22 PM

I ride a yz450 and love the engine and i do all trail riding.My friend just bought a yz250,i have to say it is sweet and does feel lighter and is easier to turn than the 450.

• squad56

Posted May 24, 2004 - 08:39 PM

i have a 2003 yz250 and i have ridden an 04 450. let me tell you that i cant tell a weight difference.im actually selling my bike to get the yz450f because the power is so smooth compared to the 250. so in my opinion i would get the 450 due to the smoothness. and besides if your wr is 13lbs heavier than the 450, then it will feel a whole hell of alot lighter to you

• player3

Posted May 25, 2004 - 05:11 AM

Looks like I am getting the 450 guys! Thanks for your help.

• Aaron

Posted May 25, 2004 - 07:41 AM

Smooth is for cadillacs! I actually enjoy the brute feeling of the 250 coming on the pipe... it's all a preference. With either bike your getting the finest motocross bike ever made, the 04 suspension is the s__t. The 250 is definitly lighter (feels like a mountain bike) and real easy to start.

• VET_YZF_Rider

Posted May 25, 2004 - 08:16 PM

Up until a couple of months ago, I owned a 2000 426 and a 2001 YZ250. Both of these bikes were awesome in their own ways. I loved the power of the 426 but hated the starting drill and the weight. The YZ250 was snappier, lighter, turned sharper, and started much easier. I decided I wanted the best of both worlds. I sold them both and purchased a 2004 450F. Best choice I have made in a long time. Runs strong, starts easy, don't notice the weight, and it handles fantastic. Buy a 450F and you will be very happy :thumbsup: Let me know if you have any questions.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.