Correct chain tension?

Since the chain tightens when the rear shock is compressed, I usually go with about 2 inches static, then compress the shock and make sure there is about 1/2 inch of slack at the tightest point while sitting on the bike.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to cut in on your thread .I have a prob with my wr 450 chain .I have done 350 km run and a 290km run desert tracks .Average speed 140 km 160 km.The problem is that the chain is that tight when I get home it is hard to push the bike . The last run I did I lubed the chain twice on the run but it was still way to tight when I got back home . Chain is the right tension when I check it the next day .Has anyone had this problem that can help out please. Ian.

One thing that happens with chains is that they don't stretch evenly.

One part of the chain will stretch more than another. Rotate your wheel until

the chain is tightest, then set your tension.

The other problem is your wheel could be too loose.

Try tightening the rear axle nut to the torque specs to see how hard you need

to crank on the axle nut. It may surprise you how hard you need to turn.

Anything else would be something freaky that no one would expect like the engine is moving in the frame, etc.

Sorry to cut in on your thread .I have a prob with my wr 450 chain .I have done 350 km run and a 290km run desert tracks .Average speed 140 km 160 km.The problem is that the chain is that tight when I get home it is hard to push the bike . The last run I did I lubed the chain twice on the run but it was still way to tight when I got back home . Chain is the right tension when I check it the next day .Has anyone had this problem that can help out please. Ian.

What kind of gearing allows you to average that kind of speed?

How's the stability?

As far as the chain go's. If it tightens up that much then that chain is shot. :nod

:applause:

Hi Stinez I am running 15 front 42 rear. Stability is very good with the Scott's damper and Scott's top triple tree. I think the chain problem is fixed now. I have been adjusting it too tight to start with did another run today no problems at all. Cheers from OZ.