Correct chain tension?

11 replies to this topic
  • SteadyEddy

Posted May 21, 2004 - 05:55 PM

Hi all,
Just wondering what the correct chain tension should be? I was told that if i could fit three fingers between the swingarm and chain that was correct, Seems a little to loose to me? any sugestions?

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 22, 2004 - 03:22 AM

Depends on how thick your fingers are 2" is the rule so check your fingers and see what combination is close to 2" and use that from now on. :thumbsup:

• ETP

Posted May 22, 2004 - 03:42 AM

Since the chain tightens when the rear shock is compressed, I usually go with about 2 inches static, then compress the shock and make sure there is about 1/2 inch of slack at the tightest point while sitting on the bike.

• SteadyEddy

Posted May 22, 2004 - 01:21 PM

I just measured my three fingers and there spot on 2 inches (5cm here in oz). So i geuss thats the right tension :thumbsup:
Thank's

• jchantzWR400F

Posted May 24, 2004 - 09:22 AM

Per my owners manual, with the bike supported (rear wheel off of the ground) you should have between 1.6" and 2" of travel between the chain and the silver allen head bolt that holds the chain slider on the swing arm.

• pops 56

Posted December 15, 2005 - 04:02 AM

Sorry to cut in on your thread .I have a prob with my wr 450 chain .I have done 350 km run and a 290km run desert tracks .Average speed 140 km 160 km.The problem is that the chain is that tight when I get home it is hard to push the bike . The last run I did I lubed the chain twice on the run but it was still way to tight when I got back home . Chain is the right tension when I check it the next day .Has anyone had this problem that can help out please. Ian.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MathProf

Posted December 15, 2005 - 06:40 AM

One thing that happens with chains is that they don't stretch evenly.
One part of the chain will stretch more than another. Rotate your wheel until
the chain is tightest, then set your tension.

The other problem is your wheel could be too loose.
Try tightening the rear axle nut to the torque specs to see how hard you need
to crank on the axle nut. It may surprise you how hard you need to turn.

Anything else would be something freaky that no one would expect like the engine is moving in the frame, etc.

• pops 56

Posted December 16, 2005 - 02:16 AM

Thanks Mathprof . I did the chain tension again today I think you were right turning the wheel there was a bit of difference I adjusted the chain at the tightest spot . I will be doing a 360 km run tomorrow I will see how it goes .Thanking you Ian.

• tmckeown

Posted December 16, 2005 - 03:48 AM

Remember to check chain lining too. Measure from rear axle to swing arm axle from both sides and make needed adjustments. :applause:

Timo Mc

• Stinez

Posted December 17, 2005 - 10:27 PM

Sorry to cut in on your thread .I have a prob with my wr 450 chain .I have done 350 km run and a 290km run desert tracks .Average speed 140 km 160 km.The problem is that the chain is that tight when I get home it is hard to push the bike . The last run I did I lubed the chain twice on the run but it was still way to tight when I got back home . Chain is the right tension when I check it the next day .Has anyone had this problem that can help out please. Ian.

What kind of gearing allows you to average that kind of speed?
How's the stability?

As far as the chain go's. If it tightens up that much then that chain is shot. :nod

:applause:

• pops 56

Posted December 18, 2005 - 01:39 AM

Hi Stinez I am running 15 front 42 rear. Stability is very good with the Scott's damper and Scott's top triple tree. I think the chain problem is fixed now. I have been adjusting it too tight to start with did another run today no problems at all. Cheers from OZ.

• pops 56

Posted December 18, 2005 - 02:58 AM

Stability was improved by my new stickers THUMPERTALK also. lol. http://memimage.card...9/424160_64.jpg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.