450 Plastic on 426 COMPLETE WITH PICS

215 replies to this topic
  • goodysttr

Posted March 22, 2008 - 08:33 PM

I want to find a black tank for a 03 any one kn ow wherei can find this? Reason being is I want to run white plastics and dont want a blue tank.

• spriggan

Posted March 23, 2008 - 07:30 AM

clarke.......

• manther

Posted May 02, 2008 - 08:49 AM

finished mine:

Before
Posted Image

In process
Posted Image
Posted Image

After
Posted Image

Final w/ graphics
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Really happy with the conversion. Feels tons lighter up top. This really helps with the tight twisty trails. Ergos feel great too. I have Astericks knee braces, and getting up further on the tank is pretty easy with this slimmer shape.

• grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2008 - 08:54 AM

A distinct improvement. :eek:

• manther

Posted May 02, 2008 - 09:03 AM

A distinct improvement. :eek:

Thanks bro! Definitely one of the more satisfying mods I've done to a bike.

• rmx250rider

Posted July 25, 2009 - 09:13 PM

Anybody having problems with there exhaust and the shock? I can bearly fit a quater between there

• mxgene

Posted August 20, 2009 - 11:43 AM

Anybody having problems with there exhaust and the shock? I can bearly fit a quater between there

I did mine last year and did have an issue with the stock 426 exhaust.

On the new subframe, I had to elongate the subframe exhaust mounting hole so I could mount the pipe lower.

Then I got smart, bought a 450 exhaust for it and now I have plenty of clearance between the shock and the pipe.

• jocolo

Posted August 20, 2009 - 05:11 PM

I gues i posted this before but here is the template for the gas tank mount. Made the templates from sheet metal a member from TT mailed me the templa and pictures, you can see my bike from Yz426 to Yz plastics to Supermoto.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• 02WR426Cali

Posted August 20, 2009 - 08:04 PM

I gues i posted this before but here is the template for the gas tank mount. Made the templates from sheet metal a member from TT mailed me the templa and pictures, you can see my bike from Yz426 to Yz plastics to Supermoto.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I do like the inginuity of this mod and it may feel slimmer, but look at your two pics, you can't tell me that the tank and seat are lower or farther up than the stock setup. I like the looks of your stock parts better

• Forddriver45

Posted August 30, 2009 - 10:45 PM

Need some one too walk me throw making the tank mounts.:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rmx250rider

Posted August 31, 2009 - 03:58 AM

you really dont need the mounts. Unless you really want them, I just took the gas tank mounts off and let the shourds, the rubber strap, and the seat hold it on.

• grayracer513

Posted August 31, 2009 - 05:43 AM

you really dont need the mounts. Unless you really want them, I just took the gas tank mounts off and let the shourds, the rubber strap, and the seat hold it on.

Bad advice.

• rmx250rider

Posted August 31, 2009 - 08:11 AM

How is that?

• grayracer513

Posted August 31, 2009 - 10:48 AM

Speaks for itself. If Yamaha didn't think the mounts were necessary, they would have omitted them. They didn't.

• rmx250rider

Posted August 31, 2009 - 01:19 PM

can you show me where anything has went wrong when somebody didnt use them?

• grayracer513

Posted August 31, 2009 - 01:40 PM

Until now, I've never seen anyone who was, um, disposed, shall we say, to try it. Seems obvious enough to me, but you go right ahead.

• rmx250rider

Posted August 31, 2009 - 03:39 PM

I been runnging like this since I put the 450 body on, and nothing has happend....

• anthony250

Posted August 31, 2009 - 04:21 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thats pretty sweet !!, I got the same pipe, Yosi , how do you like it ?

• myoung

Posted January 03, 2010 - 09:36 AM

Need some one too walk me throw making the tank mounts.:moon:

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I know it's a bit late, but maybe some one else can use the info.

Here is the template........

Posted Image

Easiest way to lay this out is to locate the top two holes at the 3 15/16", then use a compass to locate the other two holes with the two measurements that will cross each other and give you their position.

Here is the pieces..........

Posted Image

Here it is mounted.........

Posted Image

• myoung

Posted January 03, 2010 - 09:51 AM

I do like the inginuity of this mod and it may feel slimmer, but look at your two pics, you can't tell me that the tank and seat are lower or farther up than the stock setup. I like the looks of your stock parts better

The very front of the seat and top of the tank sit approximately an inch lower, this makes it that little bit easier to get way up on the tank in turns. This lower height combined with the different design of the tank and where it carries the bulk of the fuel gives you a slightly lower CG. It's still a heavy bike, but so were the '03-'05 450's. It's a much slimmer design with better ergo's and it's also a lighter package when you weigh the difference between everything that gets swapped, more so on steel subframe bikes. Not to mention that to most, the 450 looks better than the 400/426 and it makes for a nice facelift on a bike that has a green sticker here in California. :moon:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.