450 Plastic on 426 COMPLETE WITH PICS

215 replies to this topic
  • yama426rider

Posted November 11, 2006 - 07:30 PM

Hey you guys know the rubber strap on the 426 frame that holds the rear of the tank down? Well i was wondering if that strap still works with the 450 tank on the bike. the reason i was wondering is that the mount bolts under the tank on my bike arent there it has the bolts the hold the shround to the radiator on each side and that strap and of course the seat that hold the tank on. well anyways if the 450 tank still utilizes this strap i can use the same for the conversion and not have to make special mounts right? could you guys help me out? thanx alot:excuseme:

• swatcie

Posted November 17, 2006 - 01:40 PM

Hey you guys know the rubber strap on the 426 frame that holds the rear of the tank down? Well i was wondering if that strap still works with the 450 tank on the bike. the reason i was wondering is that the mount bolts under the tank on my bike arent there it has the bolts the hold the shround to the radiator on each side and that strap and of course the seat that hold the tank on. well anyways if the 450 tank still utilizes this strap i can use the same for the conversion and not have to make special mounts right? could you guys help me out? thanx alot:excuseme:

Yes that strap does still work on the 450 tank, but I fabricated tank brackets anyways, just for extra support. I just got finished with the conversion, and I love how it turned out. Ill post some pics once I get a chance.:cheers:

• sidestand

Posted November 24, 2006 - 03:19 PM

I dont get it why would you do that. what was wrong with the stock stuff
if you want a 450 go get one. seems like such a waste of cash

• Satch0922

Posted November 24, 2006 - 03:30 PM

not sure what part you want answered. I did this mod way back when because I like working on bikes and I had a lot of money tied up in aftermarket stuff on my 426.

As far as what is wrong with the stock stuff...nothing. But the ergos on the 450 and newer bikes are a lot better...flatter and lighter.

In May of 2004 when I did it (almost 3 years ago) I just about broke even by selling my 426 stuff on eBay. It would be more difficult to do that now.

• swatcie

Posted November 26, 2006 - 05:17 PM

I dont get it why would you do that. what was wrong with the stock stuff
if you want a 450 go get one. seems like such a waste of cash

I wanted to do It because I wanted to keep my 5 speed tranny and my green sticker here in cali. After doing the conversion I have to say I love how it looks, but I am disappointed on the handling still. Bike still feels heavy on the track. So, now that it looks good I'm planning on selling it and getting an 06 yz450. If nothing else I had fun ripping my bike apart and putting it back together. Heres the pic's in case you wanted to take a look.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• myoung

Posted November 27, 2006 - 09:35 PM

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around for a while, haven't been doing much with the bike lately so haven't logged on to TT to catch up. I've had some requests for the tank bracket template that I never came through on. I know it's too late now, but I finally went looking for the drawing and have now cleaned it up and have it posted on Photobucket along with some pics.

http://s6.photobucke...myoungjr/YZ426/

Hope this will help sombody.

• grayracer513

Posted November 27, 2006 - 09:50 PM

Nice piece of work. :worthy:

• crazyal426

Posted January 06, 2007 - 09:53 PM

do you just want the stock tank? I have the one off my 2000 yzf 426. let me know.

• yama426rider

Posted January 07, 2007 - 08:32 AM

How much did it cost you to do the conversion?

• myoung

Posted January 07, 2007 - 10:30 AM

I think all in on mine I have about $500, but I could do it cheaper today. I did mine a while ago when the parts were in more demand and cost a little more when you find used ones, or new for that matter. I also haven't recovered any money like others have since I didn't sell any of my 426 parts. Everything you need will be on Ebay, look for guys that are parting out a bike on there.

I have to admit, when you look at the cost of a new bike and gauge the performance between the 426 and the newwer bikes, it's getting harder to justify doing the swap. The new bikes are so much more superior now and the money you spend on the swap could make a few bike payments insead. But if you just don't have the money to go buy new, like I still don't, then a nice face lift to make your ride look a little more modern for a relatively cheap price is just the ticket.

For me, out of the people that I ride with, none of them can out ride me even on their newwer bikes so I don't NEEEEEDDD a new bike at this point. I sure do want one though.:lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxgene

Posted May 12, 2007 - 04:03 PM

Excellent work on the drawing.
That is the last thing I need to complete my conversion.

BTW- the other reason this mod is still useful, if you live in CA, the 450's are red sticker...:applause:

Plus, the 450 looks better...IMO.

• Sukutto

Posted February 23, 2008 - 03:43 PM

I found a guy selling the 2003 YZ250F plastics with fuel tank and air box. Does anyone know if they will work? I checked all the part numbers are different. The other thing I thought was the air box and tube may be smaller. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I did 5 different searchs w/o any luck on the info.
:smirk:

• spriggan

Posted March 08, 2008 - 04:53 PM

yes they work. i used a wr250f subframe/airbox/swingarm with my 426 conversion.wr fuel tanks will not work (oil filler neck is in the way) but yz and clarke tanks are fine.

• harwood39

Posted March 08, 2008 - 06:51 PM

another way to mount the tank is to use a rubber strap... like the thickness of an exhaust hanger... works great. doesnt move at all. thats how my bike was done.

also, i decided when i bought my 426 not to go too much newer as yamaha made the 450's more mellow in 05 it seams. and my 426 has plenty of power for me (5'9 125lbs) the only thing i dont like is the 4 speed. im getting used to it, but i still would like a 5. I havent been on an 08 yet, but i dont see any handling problems with my bike. I just get up on the tank through corners and dont touch the brakes. But i also have pro action suspension so that has a lot to do with the handling...

• Sukutto

Posted March 08, 2008 - 10:17 PM

yes they work. i used a wr250f subframe/airbox/swingarm with my 426 conversion.wr fuel tanks will not work (oil filler neck is in the way) but yz and clarke tanks are fine.

Thanks
No difference in the diameter of the air tube and airbox?

• spriggan

Posted March 09, 2008 - 01:51 AM

the airbox boot fit but as mentioned in an earlier post it is a little squished. i used the 426 boot on the 250 airbox. you have to drill holes in the airbox to use the 426 boot but its fairly easy.

• manther

Posted March 09, 2008 - 08:23 AM

Bought tank, shrouds, seat, and fenders. Am I gonna need the side panels and subframe?

• harwood39

Posted March 09, 2008 - 10:04 AM

ok, another question, i know my conversion is done, but im ordering some radiator braces... what ones do i need, the ones for the 426 or now the ones for the 450

• spriggan

Posted March 10, 2008 - 11:06 PM

Bought tank, shrouds, seat, and fenders. Am I gonna need the side panels and subframe?

definately need sidepanels, some people have modified the steel subframe by rewelding the mounting tabs to suit........ personally for the price its worth just buying the subframe.if you have a wr and buy a yz subframe you will have to have the mounting tabs for the coolant bottle attatched.

• manther

Posted March 22, 2008 - 08:22 PM

definately need sidepanels, some people have modified the steel subframe by rewelding the mounting tabs to suit........ personally for the price its worth just buying the subframe.if you have a wr and buy a yz subframe you will have to have the mounting tabs for the coolant bottle attatched.

Got the subframe, tank, shrouds, air box, air boot, maste rcylinder, front fender, front numberplate, rear fender, and sidepanels, all from the same guy off a 2003 yz450. Paid $365 for all that. Got the subframe mounted today. Had to cut a little bit off the top mounts on my wr400 frame. No big deal. Weighed the subframe, airbox, air boot, mudflap, and rear fender of both the 400 and the 450... The 450 is 4 lbs lighter.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.