450 Plastic on 426 COMPLETE WITH PICS

215 replies to this topic
  • BlueRide

Posted October 16, 2005 - 04:01 PM

Theres a cheap route with spray paint, I've heard good things about the Krylon "fusion" plastic paint, then get a black seat and off ya go.
I found this in the CRF forum
:banghead:
http://www.thumperta...ehicle&vid=2840

• rockcrawlerdude

Posted October 16, 2005 - 07:43 PM

hmm i may have to try that stuff .. now if i can only find a cheap '99 yz400...

• ecapt

Posted October 26, 2005 - 04:44 PM

One industires does make a yellow black Hurricane kit for the 99-02 as well look in the garage for 2002 wr250f.

Posted Image

• sjwr450

Posted October 26, 2005 - 05:59 PM

But the newer body looks sleeker and works better.
http://net.matrixweb.../bike/left2.jpg

Thats an 01.

• jocolo

Posted October 30, 2005 - 05:07 PM

Can some one email me a template of the tank brakets plz
Jocolo@hotmail.com? also will the 02 master work?

• myoung

Posted November 04, 2005 - 06:56 PM

Sent you a PM on the brackets.

Not sure if the old master will work or not, I changed mine without trying the other.

• Satch0922

Posted November 05, 2005 - 03:59 AM

there is no mount on the 450 subframe for the 02' brake fluid res....

• jocolo

Posted November 19, 2005 - 07:43 PM

Well just waiting onnew Polisport plastics set to arrive, the tank, air airbox all mounted
Thank Mike (myoung) for the templates they were spot on.
By the way I got an xtra 03 seat with N-style gripper if any one wants it
Will post next week when I get back in town

• Stranglersfan

Posted December 03, 2005 - 09:07 AM

Wow! what a great thread. This is gettin me very interested in doing this conversion too. I would also like my 02 WR426 to look like an 03/04 etc but after reading this whole thread from beginning to end i'm not quite convinced that i'll be able to acquire the necessary parts, being that i live over here in the U.K. there doesn't appear to be the choice of suppliers like you guys have and getting bits is at times very difficult and then there's the problem of import taxes etc, what a bu##er! Those Hurricane kits look the dogs danglies and would set off my black excels very nicely, but am concerned as to how difficult it may be to spray the tank black aswell, as traces of the original blue would not do it justice. Is it difficult to spray the plastic tank, wr headlight assembly, as every other bit of plastic would be yellow as in the kit, and i aint seen anyone doing the std WR headlight in Yellow so this too would have to be painted to match.
Anyone have any ideas where i can acquire all the bits to do the conversion or is it going to be "direct from the manufacturer" approach? hope not, as that will be very expensive! :ride:
Looks like i'll have to get on ebay and locate a welder for starters, if that's the only way to make up some tank brackets...

great posts!!!!! keep em coming........ :applause:

• myoung

Posted December 03, 2005 - 03:26 PM

Wow! what a great thread. This is gettin me very interested in doing this conversion too. I would also like my 02 WR426 to look like an 03/04 etc but after reading this whole thread from beginning to end i'm not quite convinced that i'll be able to acquire the necessary parts, being that i live over here in the U.K. there doesn't appear to be the choice of suppliers like you guys have and getting bits is at times very difficult and then there's the problem of import taxes etc, what a bu##er! Those Hurricane kits look the dogs danglies and would set off my black excels very nicely, but am concerned as to how difficult it may be to spray the tank black aswell, as traces of the original blue would not do it justice. Is it difficult to spray the plastic tank, wr headlight assembly, as every other bit of plastic would be yellow as in the kit, and i aint seen anyone doing the std WR headlight in Yellow so this too would have to be painted to match.
Anyone have any ideas where i can acquire all the bits to do the conversion or is it going to be "direct from the manufacturer" approach? hope not, as that will be very expensive! :ride:
Looks like i'll have to get on ebay and locate a welder for starters, if that's the only way to make up some tank brackets...

Actually, you could do the swap with no welding. The tank brackets I made could be made with nut-serts instead of welding on two nuts. If you use the 450 master cylinder, you wont need to weld on a tab for the 426 reservior. And there is quite a few aftermarket exhaust systems that seem to be flexible enough they don't need any custom bracket at the back mount.

As far as parts go, I would venture a guess that a lot of the parts peolple have used have been found on Ebay, myself included, and that you could in fact find everything you need there. Others have found donor cycles from people who have taken the engines out of 450's for other projects and gotten rid of the rolling chassis. Obviously, as you mentioned, it will be harder for you to find the parts you need, but not impossible. It's just going to cost a lot more unfortunately, but I would guess still cheaper than going to the dealer. If shipping stuff to the UK is anything like Australia, make sure it goes to a home address. We shipped a '29 Ford dash piece to a friend's business in Austrailia and the taxes he had to pay when it got there, on top of what we paid to send it, were outrageous. He said if we had shipped it to his house it would have been considerably cheaper. We send stuff to family in England every year and I haven't heard of them having to pay anything additional, but then it's always small stuff.

As far as the Hurricane kit goes, you can get a YZ yellow 450 tank from Clarke's. They make a stock size one and I think an oversize. I think they make them specifically to go with the Hurricane kit. I've heard people have really good success with the new Krylon Fusion spray paint for bike plastics, you could try that on your light if you can get a color that's close enough. Otherwise, you could go aftermarket for a yellow one.

Just an FYI for people thinking of doing the swap, a couple side notes on plastics. The rear fender has two plate type nuts that don't come on the aftermarket replacement fender, but not sure about a dealer replacement. If you can, get a clean take off from a parted out bike so you have the nuts. You can buy the nuts separate from the dealer, but they're kinda spendy. The other thing is the radiator shrouds/scoops. There are metal spacers inserted in the bolt holes that wont come on aftermarket replacements, but they do come on dealer replacements. If you dont have them, the bolts will squish the plastic and wont hold correctly. You can't buy the inserts from the dealer, you have to buy the whole shroud to get them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XriderR00

Posted December 03, 2005 - 03:36 PM

There are metal spacers inserted in the bolt holes that wont come on aftermarket replacements, but they do come on dealer replacements. If you dont have them, the bolts will squish the plastic and wont hold correctly. You can't buy the inserts from the dealer, you have to buy the whole shroud to get them.

You don't really need these as long as you have a washer. I just put mine on last night and they are holding very strongly, nothing squished.

I remember when I ordered some 400f shrouds from UFO (i think) that it came with the spacers.

• myoung

Posted December 03, 2005 - 03:47 PM

You don't really need these as long as you have a washer. I just put mine on last night and they are holding very strongly, nothing squished.

I remember when I ordered some 400f shrouds from UFO (i think) that it came with the spacers.

Well, that's true, you could use washers on them. I wanted mine to be like factory though, that's just a 'me' thing.

When I looked at aftermarket 450 shrouds from UFO and Acerbis, they didn't have the spacers. I found a clean set of take-off shrouds on Ebay that were cheaper anyway.

• myoung

Posted December 03, 2005 - 06:15 PM

Anyone have any ideas where i can acquire all the bits to do the conversion or is it going to be "direct from the manufacturer" approach? hope not, as that will be very expensive! :p

Looky here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

It's a start, and it's local! :ride:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...593840173QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/...594519845QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/...594767378QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/...595092428QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/...595228431QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/...595091864QQrdZ1

You'd have to contact them to see if they'd ship to UK, but basically everything you'd need is on Ebay at almost any given time.

• Stranglersfan

Posted December 05, 2005 - 04:20 AM

Thanks for that input guys, big thanks to "Myoung" for taking the time to locate links for stuff on ebay, nice job, cheers... unfortunately by the time i'd returned to this thread, several of the spares being listed had ended, but not to worry as getting the info on where to look under the U.S listings is a big help, as normally if i do a search "worldwide" on ebay for Yamaha WR/YZF it never returns more than half a dozen posts? but now i know where to look i can find quite a bit of stuff and suppliers... But shipping to the U.K? hmmm? that's the dilemna.....
Big thanks guys, hopefully over a period of time i'll get all the parts needed to turn my thumper into a Hurricane 03 onwards stylee...
Still think i'll have to get a Mig welder though to make up the "tabs" on the rear Alloy subrame for the rear master cylinder mounts etc, as i need my brake light switch mechanism unless the latter ones already have the sender switch built in?

Also, am i correct in assuming that the airbox of the later models has a recess built in for a battery, so that i can add one to increase the power of my lights? has anyone added a battery into the circuitry of an earlier WR? if so, is it difficult?

any more info would be greatly appreciated, thanks peeps :applause:

• myoung

Posted December 05, 2005 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for that input guys, big thanks to "Myoung" for taking the time to locate links for stuff on ebay, nice job, cheers... unfortunately by the time i'd returned to this thread, several of the spares being listed had ended, but not to worry as getting the info on where to look under the U.S listings is a big help, as normally if i do a search "worldwide" on ebay for Yamaha WR/YZF it never returns more than half a dozen posts? but now i know where to look i can find quite a bit of stuff and suppliers... But shipping to the U.K? hmmm? that's the dilemna.....
Big thanks guys, hopefully over a period of time i'll get all the parts needed to turn my thumper into a Hurricane 03 onwards stylee...
Still think i'll have to get a Mig welder though to make up the "tabs" on the rear Alloy subrame for the rear master cylinder mounts etc, as i need my brake light switch mechanism unless the latter ones already have the sender switch built in?

Also, am i correct in assuming that the airbox of the later models has a recess built in for a battery, so that i can add one to increase the power of my lights? has anyone added a battery into the circuitry of an earlier WR? if so, is it difficult?

any more info would be greatly appreciated, thanks peeps :applause:

Yeah, if you want to add a battery you'll need WR stuff at the rear. Well, basically you just look in the same place, but for WR instead of YZ. Hopefully you could find somebody selling all the stuff they took off a WR to change it over to a YZ with a WR trans. Not as common a swap as it used to be I'd guess, but some probably still do it. The battery is under the left number plate, but the plate and airbox, and probably the subframe, are all '05 and later WR specific.

I use these for keywords;

yzf450
yz450f
yz450
yzf 450
yz 450f
yz 450
yz f450

You could just replace the yz with wr, and also do searches for 250's since the parts you need are interchangeable between the 450f's and 250f's. Since your looking to add a battery you'll need '05 and later stuff where the battery is concerned, may be a little harder to come by. Don't know if an '03 and later WR tank and shrouds will cooperate with your 426 radiators. Most, if not all, have this swap with YZ parts. Of course, where there's a will, there's a way. :ride:

• ecapt

Posted December 05, 2005 - 10:45 AM

I just finished converting my WR426 over to 03 YZ tank/seatand plastic. I used a WR 450 airbox to accomadate the use of the battery. This meant I had to modify a YZ seat base to clear the battery. I also used YZ tank, seat, sideplates. I was able to use the stock subframe by just relocating the rear airbox mounting tabs and adding spacers to the seat mount. I am now ready to mount my GS 500 wheels to complete my Super Moto conversion. This is why I wanted the WR battery box, I have a street legal plate. I even have the One Industries Hurricane kit on it. The whole conversion worked out great. Good luck on yours.

• ecapt

Posted December 05, 2005 - 10:50 AM

I forgot to mention by using the stock subframe you can keep your stock master cyl. and just add a hydraylic brake light switch (about $30).

• myoung

Posted December 05, 2005 - 11:20 AM

Got any pics for those looking to do the same? :applause:

• Stranglersfan

Posted December 05, 2005 - 02:05 PM

Thanks guys, all this info your passing on is excellent and making the transition from my WR426 over to a later 03/04/05 model, seem a lot easier than i had thought. I am still a little confused as to what i exactly need to be able to add a battery to this setup. As currently my WR is fully road registered with working lights/brake light/indicators/horn etc but in desperate need of a regular current for constant light power as a battery would give. (see my garage, and you'll see the bike is fully setup for road use) so basically, what i'm trying to achieve is the same setup but with later plastics/seat/tank etc with the Hurricane sticker kit....
Will have to search n search ebay U.S for most of the parts though, and have managed to locate quite a bit of stuff, but not all sellers are prepared to ship, but i'll keep trying...

if any of you guys who have done the conversion, then i'd be most grateful for any tips/pics of the fabricated mounts etc so the later YZ parts can be fitted, especially the battery box as i am a bit confused as to how it mounts, i haven't been able to look at an 05 close-up to see where it goes? i thought it just sat in the airbox in a recess or summit? I'd be eternally grateful for any pics and advice on the exact bits i need..

thanks again guys :applause:

• myoung

Posted December 05, 2005 - 02:43 PM

I'll get ahold of my buddy and see if he can post some pics of his '05 WR.

Or you can try him directly, PM Flip01.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.