450 Plastic on 426 COMPLETE WITH PICS

215 replies to this topic
  • TimFurryBalls

Posted June 08, 2004 - 05:16 PM

I know on my 450 there was an extra bolt on the tank that needed a round spacer, so I think I'll be a couple spacers short. Maybe I can find something at Home Depot to suffice. Started phase one today. Installed a brand new AC Racing 450 subframe. I ended up grinding down the bracket on the frame to fit the subframe. Figured I'd never go back, plus it'd be a lot stronger than shaving off the aluminum of the subframe.

• TimFurryBalls

Posted June 09, 2004 - 04:33 PM

Started my cam install today. Not as hard as I thought it would be. The hardest part was figuring out my valve shim clearances. Never done that before. In all I probably took the darn thing apart 3 times trying to get it right. Upon my final shim measurements, I take the valve covers off and hear the dreaded "Ta-ting!" Down goes a valve clip! Oh well, had to order shims anyways so I'm in no rush! :thumbsup:

• Satch0922

Posted June 10, 2004 - 03:59 AM

Your talking about the clip that holds the cam in the head properly? I dropped mine too but was able to retrieve it will a magnet. I even had rags stuffed down in the head so it wouldn't happen!!

• TimFurryBalls

Posted June 10, 2004 - 06:38 PM

Yep, that's the one. I could see it down there balancing on the bottom cog, tried fishing it out, but it was wedged in there somehow. Eventally it dropped right in. :thumbsup:

• TimFurryBalls

Posted June 15, 2004 - 02:02 PM

Just got my 450 tank in today, and obviously it's not a COMPLETE tank like it said it was. Do the 426 mounting brackets work with it? They bolted right up. Also, I had to order a gas cap cause obviously it didn't come with one. Anything else that may surprise me that I may need when I mount the tank up?

• Satch0922

Posted June 15, 2004 - 02:23 PM

That is about it for the tank. You should be good to go.

• TimFurryBalls

Posted June 15, 2004 - 05:14 PM

When you checked your valve clearances with the new cam, did you check all the valves and re-shim them as well? Also, thanks for the specs on the bracket. They're all ready, but my bike's still at the dealer's waiting for my shims. I don't know how I got dooped into letting them fish out my valve clip and install the cam. I was way better off on my own!

• Satch0922

Posted June 16, 2004 - 02:40 PM

Actually I checked them all (and do so periodically) but at the time I did the exhaust cam the intake valves were still in spec.

• TimFurryBalls

Posted June 16, 2004 - 09:00 PM

As of today, rear '03 MC is on, tank brackets are tacked on, subframe and '03 airbox are drilled and on. Still waiting for my seat and plastics from MX South, still waiting on shims (damn, why'd I let the dealer order them?!), and probably be next week until I get my DARN gas cap! In other words, I could probably test it out this weekend (if it all works out), but I don't have a friggin' gas cap! :thumbsup:

• TimFurryBalls

Posted June 18, 2004 - 11:25 PM

What part of the rad shrouds to you have to trim? The front plastic "fin", or the plastic "brace" behind it that lines up above the lower mounting tab? Still waiting on my shims! Should have NEVER ordered them from my dealer! Going on a WEEK AND A HALF now!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted June 19, 2004 - 05:15 AM

trim the plastice "brace". If you draw a line from the top outside (inside if you look at how it mounts to the bike) corner of the brace down to about the middle of the brace at the bottom and cut that off. I would recommend that you put the tank on, then bolt the shrouds to the tank then you will see exactly what needs to be trimmed off the shrouds to make them fit correctly against the 426 radiators. basically your cutting the brace at an angle from the top to the center of bottom of the brace.

• yzfmxer

Posted June 19, 2004 - 06:23 AM

You could allways go with saran wrap and a rubber band! :thumbsup:

• Satch0922

Posted June 19, 2004 - 09:27 AM

I tried that but the rubber bands turned out to be Power Bands,,,,,,,,

• TimFurryBalls

Posted June 20, 2004 - 09:10 PM

Update: Almost two weeks now, no shims from my dealer. Tank is mounted and fits PERFECTLY. Subframe, now we have a little problem here. For some reason the subframe is either slightly tweaked, or manufactured poorly (AC Racing :thumbsup:). Put my airbox on and it was tweaked a bit, put on the rear fender and it was pointing off to one side a bit. COULD NOT line up the brackets on my new SDG seat with the subframe! Spent about 4 hours trying to figure out &%$#@!! Finally took it all apart, started tweaking the subframe and got it to where I can just mount the seat and barely line up the side panels. If it weren't for the subframe, I think the panels and seat would be as good as the tank (thanks Satch). Also, my lower exhaust mount does not line up with the subframe tab, but I got it to line up with the mount near the seat. You guys experience anything like this during install? The bike looks AWESOME, but these few quirks really kind of dampened my whole project. I probably would have been better off with a OEM subframe. Did your exhaust mount up to the subframe as well?

• tad69

Posted June 21, 2004 - 01:54 AM

If one of you guys has a 00 -02 sub frame for sale shoot me a PM with the price.

Thanks

• Satch0922

Posted June 21, 2004 - 02:19 PM

did not have that kind of problem with my subframe. Are you sure they didnt send you a 426 or YZ250 (2-smoke) subframe??

• Satch0922

Posted June 21, 2004 - 02:25 PM

Tad....check your PM's

• Satch0922

Posted June 21, 2004 - 03:23 PM

Some stuff I just aquired. Perfect starting point for the 450 Conversion.

YZ450 Parts for sale

• TimFurryBalls

Posted June 21, 2004 - 03:46 PM

It's an AC racing YZF 450 subframe. I don't think a 250 subframe would fit this close. All the airbox mounting tabs line up, but when I mount the fender, it's just pointing off to one side, and the ends of the subframe look off set against the rear of the fender. You can't really tell unless you look good. The bottom exhaust mounting tab doesn't line up as well. Did your 426 exhaust mount up perfectly?

• TimFurryBalls

Posted June 21, 2004 - 03:47 PM

If you find a cheap 450 subframe, let me know!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.