Install new cylinder head

7 replies to this topic
  • Rancher

Posted June 05, 2002 - 09:22 PM

I just bought a '00 426 all locked up. I went through the bottom end with new mains and rod kit. Inspected the cylinder and put a new piston in. I had to purchase a new cylinder head, new valves, and seals. I am getting ready to tackle the head but coming from the two stroke world I can use all the help I can get with the head.

If anyone has the service manual close by and a scanner I would really appreciate the assistance.

Nate Scott

• Hick

Posted June 05, 2002 - 09:57 PM

Did the head come assembled? Putting the head on is easy to do, but I've never put one together if that is what you are asking...

• YZ400Court

Posted June 05, 2002 - 10:28 AM

Look at this post, the chap 4 book is what you need.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted June 05, 2002 - 10:31 AM

Putting the cylinder head together isnt rocket science. The only real touchy part might be getting the valve lash set. Lots of assemble, measure, disassemble, change shim, reassemble, cross fingers,measure, cuss, drink barley pop. disassemble, remeasure, check batteries in calculator for charge, cuz your right, you just know it, and so on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jason_in_KC

Posted June 05, 2002 - 10:37 AM

Good to see you on here Nate, this place is a wealth of information..I'm sure w/enough onlookers and bs'ing, we'll get that beast back together..gotta hurry though, Chadwick is calling us for the end of the month..hehe

• yznvegas

Posted June 05, 2002 - 10:58 AM

Rancher, I would be happy to fax that portion of the manual to you if you give me your fax #. I have the manual to my 02' yz426....if the assembly and procedures are the same let me know.

• yz454

Posted June 05, 2002 - 01:57 PM

? how about the old parts I could my be want them .

• Rancher

Posted June 13, 2002 - 09:01 PM

Thanks all for the FYI. With the help of some buds I got the new valves installed in the new head and set back on the cylinder. I need to get some new shims, I have 3 valves that are loose and one that is tight. One out of five is within specs. I guess one out of five is not bad. If all goes well I should have the beast ready for Chadwick on the 29th.

FYI...I got a service manual for Jason in KC member# 195. Thanks!

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.