Taillight Lens?

6 replies to this topic
  • heliosstudios

Posted May 21, 2004 - 06:40 AM

Hi there, is this taillight lens stock '94 XR650L? And where can I get a replacement?

Posted Image

It's cracked in three places from fender flex and needs to be replaced (and reinforced...) Thanks!

• Dual_Dog

Posted May 21, 2004 - 11:13 AM

Hi there, is this taillight lens stock '94 XR650L? And where can I get a replacement? It's cracked in three places from fender flex and needs to be replaced (and reinforced...) Thanks!

Nope, not even close. That's aftermarket custom job. :awww: The stock light/license plate combo is big, bulky and has a black frame with the standard Honda rectangular tail light lens sticking out beyond the rear fender. Somebody did an okay job with that mod from what I could see in the photos. :thumbsup:

There is a good aftermarket replacement set up that fits right on the XRL & XR600R (same) fender opening, no adapting, from fourstrokesonly.com. Reasonably priced too with an integrated brake light. I would have bought that one instead of the Maier XR-style I have now, but they weren't available 4 months ago. I just found out they are now in stock.

Check it out. :lol:

• AzMtnThumper

Posted May 21, 2004 - 05:50 PM

DD,
That's my next tailight! :thumbsup: That wasn't there a few weeks ago when I last looked. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm still using the crappy Acerbis tailight that came in my BD kit (mine's cracked too). I like this license plate holder plate holder

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • heliosstudios

Posted May 21, 2004 - 06:18 PM

Thanks Dual_Dog. Hmm, the strange thing is that this lens fits the exact curve of the fender and uses the factory pedestal holes... (if those screws are factory...) like it were a replacement part. The lens doesn't have a clear window for the license plate though, which makes me wonder if it is not a totally unrelated lens mounted upside-down. Fourstrokesonly doesn't appear to have a lens that would fit this footprint and not interfere with the plate. Any other ideas? Am I gonna have to engineer a solution? (Cringe...) :thumbsup:

• heliosstudios

Posted May 21, 2004 - 07:27 PM

I take that back, after looking a third time, it looks like this #2 may work:
http://fourstrokeson...htFloating.html
Image shown at bottom right. :thumbsup:

• BIGTONY

Posted May 22, 2004 - 06:41 AM

Heres one I spoted on ebay its made for xr650l and its a luggage rack also complete with turn signals also. Heres the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/...7902922344&rd=1

• Dual_Dog

Posted May 22, 2004 - 07:20 AM

Thanks Dual_Dog. Hmm, the strange thing is that this lens fits the exact curve of the fender and uses the factory pedestal holes... (if those screws are factory...) like it were a replacement part. The lens doesn't have a clear window for the license plate though, which makes me wonder if it is not a totally unrelated lens mounted upside-down. Fourstrokesonly doesn't appear to have a lens that would fit this footprint and not interfere with the plate. Any other ideas? Am I gonna have to engineer a solution? (Cringe...) :thumbsup:

I used a generic tail/brake light set up and it took a lot of head scracthing to get it all dialed in and mounted right. It took me about 4 hours including mounting the plate on top of the rear fender. It looks really clean and more importantly, it is proven to be bullet-proof. I wish I had the other one from fourstrokesonly, though. It was my first choice, but I couldn't wait for the (lengthy) backorder. The stock light was already broken when I bought the bike and the previous owner's bandaid fix failed. :lol:

The #9 at fourstrokesonly fits exactly on a stock XR600R rear fender/opening which is the same fender as the XRL. You may have to move the license plate down if any part of it is touching the perimeter of the well or lip of the lens mounting area. Moving the plate down "should" be easy to do from what I can see in your photos. :lol:

Good luck gents. Its a worthwhile mod if you ride dirt, or are sick of kicking the HUGE stock eyesoar when getting on and off the BFP. :lol:

Remember, if it's not bullet-proof, it's not worth it. :awww:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.