Replacing Rear Sprocket and Chain

5 replies to this topic
  • wrk24wheel

Posted May 21, 2004 - 05:42 AM

What is everyone opinion on having to replace the front sprocket when replacing the rear sprocket and the chain? Should the front one be replaced as well?

I know that you should always change the chain when replacing the rear sprocket, just wasn't sure if I should also replace the front.

• Vick115

Posted May 21, 2004 - 05:55 AM

i always replace the entire set, i went with Sidewinders this time, cost a bit more but supossed to last longer.

• x2smoker

Posted May 21, 2004 - 07:10 AM

Always replace as a set. Worn sprockets will damage the chain, stretched chains will quickly damage new sprockets.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted May 21, 2004 - 12:06 PM

Ditto do all three. both sprockets new chain. Ironman are the best sprockets I have ever used. :thumbsup:

• John_H

Posted May 22, 2004 - 11:40 PM

Front sprockets are so inexpensive and easy to change. No reason not to unless it is pretty new.

I put sidewinder chain and sprockets on last time and I noticed the front sprocket is shot. :awww: Don't know how many miles, but is less than what I got out of the stock ones. :thumbsup:

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 23, 2004 - 12:52 AM

This ones a no-brainer. I always replace both sprockets and chain togther. I go through two to three front sprockets for every rear sprocket and chain.

If you ask me, the best deal in rear sprockets is the stock Yamaha WR rear sprocket. It wears like iron and is less than $20. I think I paid $17 for the last one I bought last year. I like to use the Regina ORN gold chain. It also lasts and is around $70. A whole set of chain and two sprockets for less than $100 and the set usually lasts me a year (about 4-5k miles).

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.