rear brake cylinder

5 replies to this topic
  • slowrider

Posted May 20, 2004 - 03:48 PM

How can I tell if my rear cylinder is shoot, i lost my rear brake in the middle of an enduro rode it out only flew over the bars 3-4 times, anyhow i thought maybe i lost fluid but the reservoir was full no air in the lines so i am guessing it's the cylinder. How do i check for sure before dumping money into a new one. thanks guys.

• moto9

Posted May 20, 2004 - 03:55 PM

Take it apart and check the plungers for cuts, you will have to inspect everything make sure there is a good seal.
If the cylinder it's self appears to be in good shape, you should be able to get a rebuild kit from the dealer or an accessory company, try Breaking.

• grayracer513

Posted May 20, 2004 - 04:12 PM

If you were pushing on the pedal and the brake felt like it was normal but wouldn't stop, the pads may have been overheated or coated with something.

If you pushed the pedal and it felt soft, traveled too far, or felt like iut wasn't connected to anything, you could have a bad cylinder. But, if it felt OK after it cooled off, and you didn't do anything for it but let it get cold, you may have overheated the fluid and caused it to boil. (Bubbles are bad) Try flushing out all the old fluid with new by keeping the master cylinder full while letting the fluid drain through the open bleeder. You might have to pump it out, but probably not. If you do, be sure to close the bleeder before you let up on the pedal. Be certain you're using the recommended fluid, as DOT 3 & DOT 4 are not interchangeable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slowrider

Posted May 21, 2004 - 03:24 AM

thanks, after reading your reply my cylinder is gone when you push down on the brake it goes way to far plently of fluid and I did make sure there were no bubbles in the lines.. Does anyone have one for sale or know where i can get one. thanks..

• Satch0922

Posted May 21, 2004 - 03:49 AM

If you buy a new one....get the 03 YZ450F unit. It has an integrated res and works great. You will have to modify the subframe (cut the tab off that holds the current fluid res).

• slowrider

Posted May 22, 2004 - 02:40 AM

I will buy it, do you take paypal, shoot me an email at

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.