3 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 20, 2004 - 02:58 PM

Question for those of you more skilled then me, what handling characteristics come from changing wheelbase lengths? For example by adding two links to your chain, moving the axle back from stock. The reason I ask this, I've been running a 52 tooth on the rear, with stock chain (shorter WB) but in changing to a larger tire I noticed instability at higher speeds (led to injury). Just replaced my chain with two more links, axle now moved way further back (long WB). Will this in it self add more weight to the front of the bike and improve higher speed control? I did also install a Scott's Stabilizer prior to the chain. Sorry for the long winded question...Thanks :thumbsup:

ps..I race (poorly) CC and Desert. Lots of single track woods for fun :awww:

• endurodog

Posted May 20, 2004 - 03:13 PM

Short wheel base will give your quicker handling but make the bike more unstable.

Long wheel base better stability but not as quick of handling.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted May 20, 2004 - 05:23 PM

Ditto plus it wheelies a little less and climbs hills better! :thumbsup:

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 20, 2004 - 05:52 PM

Thanks, I was hoping to hear that it prevent's going over the handlebar's too :thumbsup:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.