04 450-Removing the battery and airbox mods?

8 replies to this topic
  • yam314

Posted May 20, 2004 - 11:58 AM

I just got my WR and have not even rode it yet,but my old bike was a 98WR and was jetted perfectly and just a great bike. I'm just hoping that my new one will not dissapoint. My questions concern the battery inside of the airbox.Can I remove the battery and starter for a race to save what appears to be about 10 #'s? Also, it seems that the airflow is seriously restricted by this battery.What have you guys been doing to get more airflow? BTW, I have removed the little snorkle thingy as well as all the other free mods.Oh well, I will take it for the 1'st ride tommorrow to break it in before my race Sunday.Thanks in advance.

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 20, 2004 - 12:17 PM

I cut the back of the air box out just above the rear fender to get some real air into this airbox. When you put the seat down on the stock set up it covers the intake with very little clearance. Cut a slot in the opposite rear number plate to look like the YZ number plate. This lets air in through the slots and down the rear fender straight into the airbox. works very well. I have been running it like that for over a year now. See pics on
www.WR450.com

• mtrablue

Posted May 20, 2004 - 04:35 PM

it's no big deal to remove the battery. take it out and secure the wires so that they can't touch anything. done. the starter will be a bit more work. unless you want it off for good, don't bother. side cover has to come off. you'll have to come up with a plug for the hole. if you do it, you might as well take out the idler gears also. you can shave a couple pounds with all this but that e-start sure is nice to have.

• lipskid

Posted May 20, 2004 - 05:14 PM

I pulled my battery and starter from my '03. Battery, starter, idler gears, battery cable, all together weighed 6.5lbs on my bathroom scale :thumbsup:. Opening the top of my airbox did make a significant difference though. I think your '04 has a couple pieces under the right side cover that are pre-scored(? :awww:) so you can easily punch them out to get more air.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yam314

Posted May 22, 2004 - 04:17 AM

Well I rode it yesterday and it has a lot of power. I don't know if hits a s hard as my 98 w/ YZ specs though. I am going to order the YZ cam. Cut the left side plate hole to mak it like a YZ plate-it will now provide a lifting spot on that side as well as getting more air in.I'm installing a YZ pipe today-it feels like about half the weight of a WR pipe.Race is tomorrow.

• mtrablue

Posted May 22, 2004 - 06:25 AM

be careful about lifting by the left side panel. the hole doesn't line up with the subframe and you might tear it off. if you go with a yz exhaust, i think the yz exhaust side number plate/sidepanel will fit a wr and has a narrower profile. find somebody that will let you try theirs before putting down the cash. interenet advise is free, parts aren't.

• yam314

Posted May 22, 2004 - 11:50 AM

I am talking about the left # plate, not the panel.It is similar to older WR's and YZ's in that they provide a grab handle on the left side wheras the newWR is filled. That is the part that I cut out.

The YZ pipe fits just fine behind the right #plate w/o any cutting.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted May 22, 2004 - 12:18 PM

why didn't you just buy the YZ450F instead? :thumbsup:

I just got my WR and have not even rode it yet,but my old bike was a 98WR and was jetted perfectly and just a great bike. I'm just hoping that my new one will not dissapoint. My questions concern the battery inside of the airbox.Can I remove the battery and starter for a race to save what appears to be about 10 #'s? Also, it seems that the airflow is seriously restricted by this battery.What have you guys been doing to get more airflow? BTW, I have removed the little snorkle thingy as well as all the other free mods.Oh well, I will take it for the 1'st ride tommorrow to break it in before my race Sunday.Thanks in advance.

• yam314

Posted May 27, 2004 - 12:02 PM

Probably would ,had it not been for that 4 speed gearbox. There are also many other things that I like on the WR's(this is my 4'th WR plus my old IT).Weight is just not one of them.BTW, I raced it last weekend and it has more power than my old YZ spec WR400 and turns a lot better(old WR had YZ tank and seat). I am still unsure yet on Making the new one YZ timing.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.